"Yellow Card" for Canadian Border Crossing? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2023, 11:55 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
"Yellow Card" for Canadian Border Crossing?

Our neighbors recently mentioned the need for some sort of yellow card required when crossing into Canada that shows proof of insurance. They also said our regular proof document that we carry isn't sufficient. We called our insurance company (USAA) and they were unaware of any such requirement.

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Parker
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 2022 E19
Non-residents of Canada might be better at answering this but I've never heard of that before.
I assume that proof of insurance would be umm, an insurance card?
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I do know from a lifetime of crossing the border that a question about the insurance status of the vehicle has never been asked.

That includes "rolling wrecks" with 4 wheels on a tow bar that definitely didn't have insurance.

Unless someone has factual information about this I wouldn't give it a second thought.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 12:34 PM   #4

Okay. I'm going to consider it a non-issue. We haven't been to Canada for a couple of years and thought we'd better check it out. Thanks again.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:21 PM   #5

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
The yellow card is apparently a thing…but the few times I’ve been in Canada the vehicle insurance card sufficed if needed at all.

http://www.experian.com/blogs/ask-ex...you-in-canada/
Old 06-07-2023, 01:32 PM   #6

So it is a thing. Thanks for the link, so we can forward to our insurance company. I'd like to assume we don't really need it, but with paid reservations in Tobermory, I'd hate for us to be denied entry if the guard is not in a welcoming mood when we roll up.
Old 06-07-2023, 01:40 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Things may differ between insurance companies, but FWIW .... A short while back I called my agent about travel in Canada just because that's the sort of planning thing I do.

My State Farm (Texas) agent advises that when I plan travel to Canada I notify them so they can provide a second Canada-specific proof of insurance card to carry in addition to my normal Texas proof of insurance card. No cost, it's quick to get, but for some reason has a specific date-range on it (whatever I request to fit my travel plans). Presumably this is the 'yellow card' mentioned previously.

Not sure if that's required by anyone, but hey, it sounds like easy insurance (pun intended) to minimize any potential complications.

YMMV
Old 06-07-2023, 02:16 PM   #8

Yeah, we're going back to check with USAA again. Interesting that it's date-specific.
Old 06-07-2023, 03:01 PM   #9

Trailer: 2022 E19
I wonder if it has to do with proof of insurance on the trailer? My trailer insurance is just an add-on so I don't actually have an insurance card for it.
I've never been asked that when traveling to the US but maybe it's a Canadian thang.
Fender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:01 PM   #10

Trailer: 2024 21NE F2
I checked with my Progressive agent; he knew of the yellow card but said that it was discontinued sometime in mid-2000's. Also, U.S. & Canada insurance carriers have reciprocal agreements to permit citizens of both countries to freely travel with their respective coverage.

He pointed me to this page:

https://www.progressive.com/answers/driving-in-canada/
Don Flamenco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 05:17 PM   #11

Strange that no one ever, that I can recall, has ever mentioned that they were questioned about their insurance coverage. Other items, yes.

Funny thing is that Mexico requires Mexican insurance. Yet even there, no one ever asked to see my Mexican policy.

I'd also be surprised if it was a border official that ever asked about insurance coverage. Not their job, to say the least. What may have been meant is that in the event of an accident in Canada you should be able to show that you have insurance.

Ron
Old 06-07-2023, 05:52 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm with Farmers and I don't even get a hard card. I CAN go to their website, login and print out something that kinda looks like a card. I prefer everything electronic, maybe it will be an issue in the future. Guess I should check into it...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 06:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I'm with Farmers and I don't even get a hard card. I CAN go to their website, login and print out something that kinda looks like a card. I prefer everything electronic, maybe it will be an issue in the future. Guess I should check into it...
State Farm offers similar via website portal and / or App.

Personally, IF ever asked by an 'official' for proof of insurance for whatever reason .... I'd rather be pulling the hard-card out of my glovebox than being dependent on cell service, and / or the interweb, and / or juggling my phone or computer.

Stuff happens 'in the cloud' and on servers - maybe rare and short-lived but seems it's invariably at the most inopportune times; that hard-card is hard to beat for 'KISS' if ya know what I mean. As you say, Donna: YMMV .
Old 06-07-2023, 06:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2024 Escape 23 on order, 2022 RAM 1500 5.7L Laramie
Three Canada trips in 2 years. Nobody asked about insurance. We did get to unfold our kayaks so folks could look for mussels.
bborzell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2023, 07:13 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborzell View Post
Three Canada trips in 2 years. Nobody asked about insurance. We did get to unfold our kayaks so folks could look for mussels.
Watercraft inspections aren't exclusive to Canada. In the US I've had two in one day.

Ron
Old 06-14-2023, 11:19 AM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Mandatory trailer insurance coverage varies province to province. BC requires a separate policy for each trailer with a minimum of $200,000 CND third party coverage. In other provinces, the coverage is extended from the towing vehicle. All jurisdictions in Canada require the combined unit to be insured.

US registered vehicles are OK to travel in Canada as long as they are insured for the duration of the visit. At worst case, the border agent may check to see a copy of your policy. It is worth taking. In Canada, we are required to carry what is called a "Pink Slip" proof of insurance. Good in all CND jurisdictions and the US. I don't know the US equivalent.

Never questioned at the border, apart from the usual fruit and vegetable police.

Safe travels.
suncoastdancers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2023, 03:12 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by suncoastdancers View Post
e.

Never questioned at the border, apart from the usual fruit and vegetable police.

Safe travels.
Ah yes, we fessed up to having a couple of oranges once on the way back into the US because we weren't sure whether or not they were allowed. It was a memorable experience. We had to park our car off to the side, they took our passports, and we had to go to a holding area while they searched all our stuff. The two agents who inspected our camper were juggling the oranges as they came back in. Then we were free to go, while I'm sure they were enjoying their oranges.
Old 06-14-2023, 04:11 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Ah yes, we fessed up to having a couple of oranges once on the way back into the US because we weren't sure whether or not they were allowed. It was a memorable experience. We had to park our car off to the side, they took our passports, and we had to go to a holding area while they searched all our stuff. The two agents who inspected our camper were juggling the oranges as they came back in. Then we were free to go, while I'm sure they were enjoying their oranges.
You got off lucky. Our crime was crossing back into the US from Mexico with half a grapefruit. We would have chucked it before the border but traffic was so congested we couldn't stop. We declared it as we arrived at the kiosk and asked to throw it in the garbage can. Off to the fenced off enclosed secondary area we went. Said that we already smuggled it into the US even though we only a few feet away from the border and declared it. Nope, had to sign a form saying that I was guilty and acknowledge that for the next offense I will pay an $800 fine.

What was shocking was that when arriving at other border crossings by boat and car chucking produce in the can was a routine event. Different rules for different border crossings I was told.

Ron
Old 06-14-2023, 08:58 PM   #19

A similar thing happened to us. We assumed there would be a place to throw away the oranges before we pulled up to the border, as we had seen before. Not this time, so were are kinda stuck. We've gotten super cautious about it now. It's not always clear from reading the regs what is and is not allowed.
Old 06-14-2023, 09:58 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post

It's not always clear from reading the regs what is and is not allowed.
And unfortunately the rules can quickly change. One crossing from Alaska to the Yukon, eggs were OK. Two weeks later they weren't. No garbage can though, into a freezer.

Ron