You've got to eat - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Me | General Topics > General Escape
Click Here to Login

Old 03-15-2019, 04:15 PM   #41

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
UNLESS: your Escape is an export to the U.S., and you're picking it up in Sumas. Then, you have to wait until it clears customs, and then transfer your stuff.
Yes, I meant you receive it in Sumas, return to Best Western and then transfer your items there, before checking out and leaving.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:11 PM   #42

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
No offense taken. I'm a Canadian and I've never eaten Poutine in Canada. That sloppy mess looks too much like another sloppy ethnic food that I'm also not fond of.

I did order Poutine in a US McDonalds once. Eventually the memory will fade from my mind. Especially if folks stop mentioning Poutine.

Ron
There's a huge difference between real Quebec-style poutine and "McDonalds" Real poutine has double fried french fries, homemade gravy and Quebec's famous home grown cheese curds (which are just as yummy as the famous Wisconsin cheese curds!). Done right its's a real treat, mmmmmmm...
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:28 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
OK, I'll have an order of poutine, hold the gravy, hold the cheese curds and pass the ketchup.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
There's a huge difference between real Quebec-style poutine and "McDonalds" Real poutine has double fried french fries, homemade gravy and Quebec's famous home grown cheese curds (which are just as yummy as the famous Wisconsin cheese curds!). Done right its's a real treat, mmmmmmm...
Wisconsin cheese curds are good but the best of the best are the world’s famous cheese curds from the Ellsworth Coop Creamery in Ellsworth Wisconsin
These award winning cheese curds are also available at the Alpha Coop Creamery in Alpha Wisconsin . Home of the world’s gold medal winning string cheese !
The Ellsworth cheese curds are so good they are not allowed on poutine , well at least in Wisconsin
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 07:27 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Ranch dressing on the fries or for dipping is popular here.
When I was a teen we used Thousand Island all the time.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 08:34 PM   #46

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I like a good squeaky cheese curd, white or yellow. Maybe they aren’t supposed to squeak and maybe they’re only supposed to be a certain color, I’m not a connisuer just a consumer. I do enjoy a nice smoked Gouda too with a Belgian white and a deer stick.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-16-2019, 12:58 AM   #47

Trailer: TBD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
I do enjoy a nice smoked Gouda too with a Belgian white and a deer stick.
Mmmmm, makes me hungry.
Old 03-16-2019, 01:42 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Yes, I meant you receive it in Sumas, return to Best Western and then transfer your items there, before checking out and leaving.

Yup; that works!
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 11:45 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Tim Hortons is not a McDonalds wannabe. I think the closest parallel is Dunkin Donuts, and Tim Hortons’ coffee is hands down better that Dunkin Donuts’ — if you actually want something that tastes like coffee with your pastry.
davina_c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 01:56 PM   #50

Trailer: Escape 19' pick up in July
Add The Harvest Cafe to your list. It is downtown on Mill Street and has great lunches. Breakfasts looked great too but we did lunch - real turkey and an amazing grilled cheese, onion and chicken. We both had two meals out of it. And, they bake their own bead, and pastries, and there is another bakery two doors down! Since i someday will write Cookies Across America, I was pleased!
WendyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:43 PM   #51

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davina_c View Post
Tim Hortons is not a McDonalds wannabe. I think the closest parallel is Dunkin Donuts, and Tim Hortons’ coffee is hands down better that Dunkin Donuts’ — if you actually want something that tastes like coffee with your pastry.
Before our trip to Saskatchewan last year to visit relatives, I had never heard of Tim Horton's. I didn't get the chance to try them until we were waiting at the airport in Vancouver to catch our connecting flight to SF. Perhaps the Tim Horton's airport coffee was not truly representative of their coffee but I found it quite forgettable. In fact, I think I dumped most of it. I actually liked McDonald's coffee better. That being said, I will give it another chance when given the chance.

The best coffee I had during our trip was some homemade french press coffee made by my brother-in-law who is a Saskatoon police officer. Cops know coffee!
Old 03-20-2019, 02:49 PM   #52
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Tim Horton's coffee probably tastes closer to Burger King coffee rather than McDonald's, since Burger King acquired Tim Horton's back in 2014.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 02:53 PM   #53

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilola View Post
That being said, I will give it another chance when given the chance.

I wouldn't bother. Last cup of Tim's that I had turned wretched after about 20 minutes in my thermal cup. Poured it out.
It wasn't very good earlier either.
BTW, Tim's has been owned by Burger King and prior to that, by Wendy's. Was quite a stir here in Ontario when a franchise owner refused to give staff coffee breaks.
Old 03-20-2019, 04:22 PM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
At any chain I find it more reliable to order an espresso-based beverage (Americano if just looking for regular coffee), because it is made-to-order (not half-hour-old coffee in the pot) and it's hard for the barely-trained staff to mess up what the automatic machine does. Tim Horton's was originally and still is basically a coffee shop, but that doesn't mean that the coffee is great... although they sell enough that I suppose it is usually fresh.

I realize that there is some risk in saying this, but Starbucks is a chain... same rule applies. There is a better option at some Starbucks locations: if they have a Clover brewer, anything made in that (which in some cases is only the Reserve items) is a relatively safe bet. Again, it's made-to-order and automated...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 04:48 PM   #55

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i also had a good lunch at Cookies i haven't tried poutine i don't care for gravy i was shocked the first time i saw biscuits and gravy.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 06:40 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
i also had a good lunch at Cookies i haven't tried poutine i don't care for gravy i was shocked the first time i saw biscuits and gravy.
I did not experienced biscuits and gravy until I was almost 18 years old and it was love at first sight / bite
We now make our own sausage gravy with our homemade pork sausage , whole milk , cream and Grade A Butter .
We usually make 2 to 3 gallons of sausage gravy at a time , divide it up into breakfast size portions and freeze ( 3 cups sausage gravy = 2 servings )
I recently made 8 lbs of breakfast sausage and we will soon be making another batch in anticipation of the approaching camping season
One of the main reasons we got the oven option was so we could bake fresh biscuits in the morning

If I can find fresh pork livers I will be making some fresh ring liver sausage . One of my breakfast favorites since childhood
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2019, 08:02 PM   #57

Trailer: TBD
Although I was born in 1951, I didn't eat biscuits and gravy until 1994 while in graduate school in Bloomington, IN. Perhaps living the first 38 years of my life in South Dakota had something to do with that. However, I have had my share of lutefisk, lefsa, fry bread, and Buffalo meat, not to mention government cheese & peanut butter (all good stuff except for lutefisk).
Old 03-21-2019, 06:25 AM   #58

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I remember my grandmother, who was from Alabama, cooking bacon and then placing pieces of bread in the bacon fat to fry, her toast brings back memories.....mmmmm good.
Old 03-21-2019, 08:26 AM   #59

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
This thread should have a warning label not to read on an empty stomach. I gotta go find some bacon, sausage and gravy...
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2019, 08:58 AM   #60

Trailer: none
I love biscuits and sausage gravy and have been on the hunt for the perfect dish. I'm told the best gravy needs to cook until it's burnt. Hmmm . . . I'm also told that to find the best B&G, head to the southern US states. I guess Southern California doesn't qualify as I haven't found it here. Oh, and thick cut bacon is the best!