12 volt compressor fridge. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2020, 09:38 AM   #1

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
12 volt compressor fridge.

I'm looking at a Escope trailer, I want a 12 volt fridge (compressor) that they do not offer. So I'm thinking of ordering no holes no fridge and put in my own but would it fit through the door?
Thanks
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
That, of course, depends on the size of the refrigerator you order. The 2nd generation Escapes have a larger door than the 1st generation, but I believe that even the current 6 cu ft (Dometic DM2663LBX) refrigerator requires the door removed to take it out of the trailer.

They have announced that a 12V compressor refrigerator will be available in the 2021 19.
Old 09-09-2020, 10:48 AM   #3

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Only one trailer that I know of was made without exterior openings for the fridge and that was when Reace was still involved. You should double check with Escape because not sure they will do this under the new ownership

I'm sure you could ask here for 2nd gen owners to measure clear dimensions of the door opening and compare to the dimensions of the fridges you are looking at. The door frame can be removed on the 2nd gen trailers too for more clearance. Not so with 1st gen with airplane door.
Old 09-09-2020, 11:30 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19
Send a message via MSN to ridinbarney Send a message via Yahoo to ridinbarney
I wonder what kind of battery drain a compressor type 'fridge will use?

My 2015 Escape 19 has the Dometic RM 8551, and the control board is kaput. The control boards are hard to find, and cost a bundle. Over $500!

It sounds like the RM 8551 model has been problematic. Has anyone else had the control board go out?
ridinbarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 12:53 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbarney View Post

My 2015 Escape 19 has the Dometic RM 8551, and the control board is kaput. The control boards are hard to find, and cost a bundle. Over $500!

It sounds like the RM 8551 model has been problematic. Has anyone else had the control board go out?
The Danfoss compressors are very efficient but you still need to have adequate battery capacity and solar. What is the Dometic part # for the board you need? Dinosaur Electronics might make a better replacement.
https://www.dinosaurelectronics.com/Dom_boards.htm
Old 09-09-2020, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200bruce View Post
... I want a 12 volt fridge (compressor) that they do not offer.
Just FYI Escape is now offering an (as yet unidentified in terms of particulars) ~6.5 cuft compressor reefer option for the 2021 E19 model. In a recent podcast Karl indicated ETI will continue 'validation' of that reefer for application in other models.

Given the long-lead for ETI builds (deposits submitted today are for August 2021 delivery), unless you've already got an earlier delivery locked-in there's a possibility that ETI may offer what you want by the time you need it.

You'll have many, many months before you must lock-in your build sheet even if you place your deposit today.

Just for your consideration.

(admitting I hope to have the option for consideration by the time I must lock-in my 2021 5.0 build-sheet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridinbarney View Post
There's info available on the Nova Kool website for your study. Even if you choose an RV compressor-reefer manufacturer other than NovaKool brand, they all invariably use the same Secop/Danfoss compressor units with similar electrical demands, size-for-size.
Old 09-09-2020, 03:10 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
I had a Nova Kool 12V compressor fridge put in my 2014 17B to replace the Dometic absorption one in July. What an improvement!! Draw is very small at 2.2A, but doesn't need to run all the time. I have a first gen Escape, meaning the door is narrowest, but had no issues getting it in. I would HIGHLY recommend you consider one.
I used a solar panel to charge up the system, and never had any issues. My wife is finally happy!
Old 09-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
I yanked and sold the OEM fridge/freezer and installed a Dometic drawer style fridge-freeze (12v compressor)and no regrets (for our use/application) on the 15A we bought from the original owners in June 2019. There was considerable wasted space between the OEM fridge/freeze and microwave so I added a very deep drawer above the new fridge/freezer and below the microwave.

Additionally, I 'glassed over the no-longer needed vents for the former 3-way fridge. Where we go it gets real dusty; no more a concern.
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 08:53 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworainy View Post
I had a Nova Kool 12V compressor fridge put in my 2014 17B to replace the Dometic absorption one in July. What an improvement!! Draw is very small at 2.2A, but doesn't need to run all the time. I have a first gen Escape, meaning the door is narrowest, but had no issues getting it in. I would HIGHLY recommend you consider one.
I used a solar panel to charge up the system, and never had any issues. My wife is finally happy!

What size did you put in? I'm seriously considering putting one in my 17B. Also it would be great if you could show us a picture of the install.
Old 09-12-2020, 01:17 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 17B "Tamago", 2019 GMC Canyon Denali Duramax Diesel
2014 17B with Nova Kool compressor fridge installed

As mentioned earlier, we replaced our Dometic 8551 fridge with a Nova Kool R3800 ACDC compressor fridge.
I took all the measurements and specs from both units to ensure it would fit (including through the door), and it did!! I actually dropped in unannounced to the Nova Kool factory (>15 minutes from my house) and asked a bunch of questions. Turns out they were getting a bunch of skids of compressor fridges ready to ship to Winnebago. That added credibility for my decision to switch.
Nova Kool is a little smaller than the Dometic, so the RV tech installed a panel above. Not totally thrilled with the piece, but it was the best they had.
Most importantly, though, it WORKED!
And my wife is now happy that we won't die from contaminated food from our Escape fridge!
Worked well for 4 days on the pair of original 6V batteries in hot temperatures, including ice in the freezer compartment! Used solar to top up while on the road.
Draw is 2.2A when running, but doesn't run all the time. Is a little noisier than an absorption unit, but definitely worth it.
Because it is a compressor unit, it doesn't have to be completely level. Nova Kool told me it is good up to a 30 degree angle. Also, no problem running it while driving, and no pilot flame to worry about. They also suggested adding Reflectix to the vents (allowing a little venting on top) for better insulation...which I also did.
Cools down to proper temp in about 2.5 hours, and has a faster recovery.
Happy to answer any more questions, but please be patient, as I'm not yet retired
Photos are the of the installed unit (little clip to keep door ajar), then of interior photos of the fridge.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_5931.jpeg   IMG_5932.jpeg   IMG_5933.jpeg  
Old 09-12-2020, 01:31 PM   #11

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Just FYI during a casual exchange with Linda Fedoruk at ETI a few days ago she stated:

"So far, the only compressor fridge we have available is a Norcold 5 cubic foot model. We can install this in the 5.0TA but it will be smaller than the standard fridge."

I didn't pursue the matter any further given that my 'need' to finalize a Build Sheet is still quite a way in the future and this is an 'evolving option' for other than the E19 per Karl's recent livestream mention.

But, it does seem to me, that if Norcold is indeed the manufacturer ETI has selected for the already announced E19 compressor reefer option, it would be likely that's the manufacture they'll 'shop' for all compressor reefer options they may offer. Yes, that's purely my speculation.

For me Linda's statement was a bit disheartening, simply because I know Nova Kool offers a much wider range of compressor-reefer sizes than Norcold, which may bear on offerings we eventually get from ETI for trailers other than the E19.
Old 09-12-2020, 03:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tworainy View Post
As mentioned earlier, we replaced our Dometic 8551 fridge with a Nova Kool R3800 ACDC compressor fridge.
I took all the measurements and specs from both units to ensure it would fit (including through the door), and it did!! I actually dropped in unannounced to the Nova Kool factory (>15 minutes from my house) and asked a bunch of questions. Turns out they were getting a bunch of skids of compressor fridges ready to ship to Winnebago. That added credibility for my decision to switch.
Nova Kool is a little smaller than the Dometic, so the RV tech installed a panel above. Not totally thrilled with the piece, but it was the best they had.
Most importantly, though, it WORKED!
And my wife is now happy that we won't die from contaminated food from our Escape fridge!
Worked well for 4 days on the pair of original 6V batteries in hot temperatures, including ice in the freezer compartment! Used solar to top up while on the road.
Draw is 2.2A when running, but doesn't run all the time. Is a little noisier than an absorption unit, but definitely worth it.
Because it is a compressor unit, it doesn't have to be completely level. Nova Kool told me it is good up to a 30 degree angle. Also, no problem running it while driving, and no pilot flame to worry about. They also suggested adding Reflectix to the vents (allowing a little venting on top) for better insulation...which I also did.
Cools down to proper temp in about 2.5 hours, and has a faster recovery.
Happy to answer any more questions, but please be patient, as I'm not yet retired
Photos are the of the installed unit (little clip to keep door ajar), then of interior photos of the fridge.
Also have the 8551 . Was wondering how much solar do you have ? Just watched another Escape owner who replaced with a truck fridge . About the same size . Was thinking for that 3 in ,build it up from the bottom and make a pullout shelf . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:12 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19 "Lily"
Send a message via MSN to Sean Murry Send a message via Yahoo to Sean Murry
I ordered my 2019 Escape 19 without the fridge, had them eliminate the outside vent, kept the roof vent for added air circulation. I then got Escape to customize the cabinet cut out to accommodate my Nova Kool RFU8220, 7.3 cu ft fridge/freezer. This was the largest fridge I could get and still fit through the Escape door. I had to remove the Nova Kool door but that was very easy. The fridge draws about 4.5 amps when running but only runs 25 -50% of the time depending on ambient temperature. I also added 4 x 100A Lithium batteries. Extremely happy with the result
Sean Murry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 03:15 PM   #14

I think I said fridge runs 25-50% of the time. That is a bit optimistic. Better to calculate running maybe 40 -70% of the time depending on ambient temperature. Here is BC in the Spring or Fall I would say closer to 50%
Old 09-12-2020, 04:31 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 21C 2020
We run a 4 cubic foot Danfoss fridge in our van and coupled with 300 watts solar we have no problem keeping the batteries well above 50%. It pulls 3-4 amps, but doesn't run that often. I wouldn't hesitate to get the 12V fridge on our Escape if it was available. If the propane fridge ever gives up the ghost I will seriously consider replacing with a Danfoss compressor fridge.
AKRogers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 05:50 PM   #16

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
Our our sailboat we ran a 12V compressor fridge. It was a Danfloss compressor. Our fridge had about 6 inches of insulation all around, it was 5 C.F.. the compressor ran for 10 minutes once every hour and drew 5-7 amps when running. It was the largest load on our sailboat, at about 45 amp hrs per day. We had 2-80 watt panels supplying power, plus a wind generator. Our battery bank was 4-6V golf cart batteries at 450 amp hrs with series- parallel connection.

And we struggled to keep the batteries full. We think our max daily draw was well under 100 amp hrs. Radios, SSB, LED lights, tablets charging, water pump, etc all add up. The NovaCool likely is going to draw more than our sailboat fridge, we did not have a freezer, just a single holding plate. Friends with compressor fridge freezers drew about 100 amp hrs per day just for that combination.

The compressor fridge sounds great if you are driving from park to park. But long term boondocking will be challenged by the power requirements. Unless you are Jonny Hung with the multiple lithium batteries.
Old 09-12-2020, 06:11 PM   #17

The 7.3 cu ft Novakool with freezer draws 5.2A when running. If you consider it runs 50% of the time then it draws 2.6A How often it runs obviously depends on ambient temp and how often you open the fridge door. The beauty of lithium batteries is you get about twice the available power vs lead. A Battle Born 12V 100A lithium battery gives you 100 useable amps.
With my 4 x 100A lithium set up and a 190 Watt solar I can go quite awhile without depleting batteries, though I will also opt for a portable solar panel. Recently while camping our trailer was in the shade, and the solar wasn't super efficient. Ran low on power after 5 days. Portable panels would help with that. I also carry a Honda 2200 generator, but I really don't like using generators, but in the case of emergencies it is there
Old 09-12-2020, 06:39 PM   #18

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21 Rear Bed
So running 2.6 amps gives 65 amp hrs per day. Your 190 watt panel (V*amps=watts) likely supplies 95 amps per day at 6 hrs, at best, of solar charging. Then we need to figure 80% efficiency for conversion, etc. So you are running close to just being able to supply your compressor fridge with power. I can see that after a week you do need a charge.

We had to run our sailboat diesel engine about 1x a week as our batteries were always declining. At a morning reading of 12.4V on our batteries it was time to recharge.
Old 09-12-2020, 08:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2021 Escape 19
Anyone know the model number of the compressor fridge being offered by escape? I’m considering it on the 19, but would like to do some research first. I’ve done well with a compressor fridge on a sailboat without a solar panel or generator, except when the air and water temperature is around 90°. OMG!
Flash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 11:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash View Post
Anyone know the model number of the compressor fridge being offered by escape? I’m considering it on the 19, but would like to do some research first.
Just speculating but based on information from ETI in post #11 maybe the DC558?
https://norcold.com/product/norcold-...-refrigerator/