120V outlet add - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2018, 10:47 PM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
120V outlet add

Before I take the converter apart, looking for an open breaker screw, thought I'd ask if any 21 owners tapped into the existing 120V wiring.

Escape bundles things really tight and I want to add a deeper box on the drivers side to hold a combo USB/120V duplex outlet to get our cords where the dogs can't reach them under the table. The factory box is too shallow for it, and zero slack to change out the box.

Best point I found is the 120V exterior outlet as (on the 21) it can be replaced pretty easy, then snake a Romex behind the board at the rear (under the table) to get to the drivers side.

Any better ideas out there?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 05:27 AM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Charlie, I have tapped in the stock 120v wiring in all 3 of my Escapes, no issue with the 1stG models, I replaced the shallow box with standard interior blue plastic box and added another outlet further away. Did this in my 2012 and 2014 Escapes. The newer ones have a new style electrical box which caused me some extra steps. As an alternative, I installed a power pedestal in my table to keep all my power cords on top of the table away from entanglement underneath.
Old 04-19-2018, 06:13 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
It is easy to add a breaker if you just wanted to add the 120V/USB outlet. Something to consider if you would like a newer, better location for the outlet.

If tying in to the exterior outlet is easy, this would be a good solution for adding a new plug too, as you will not be adding much draw.

Another option would be just to replace the existing wire with a longer one to facilitate installing a deeper box. This would be my preferred method if the existing box is in a location you like.

In an effort to keep things need and tidy, Escape certainly does not leave much slack in their cabling, unlike homes where this slack can be hidden behind walls.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 07:47 PM   #4
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I was surprised to find I had 4 open slots in the converter for more 120V breakers. Last rig didn't have any open. Made it super simple to pop in another breaker and run a short Romex wire over to where I wanted a new combo outlet - only an 18 inch run. Thanks, Jim B

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote