12V drops cost vs. DIY - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-23-2020, 09:09 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012
12V drops cost vs. DIY

Question: I want to have under cabinet Puck lights In our 21NE build. Escape wants to charge me __$ each 12v drop. Would I be 1) money ahead and 2) easy to splice into the wiring for the under cabinet pancakes to DIY/add additional under cabinet lights myself?
Johndep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:21 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 21 2018 "Gypsy Cat"
Hi John: FWIW, we went with ETI installed 12-volt drops in the upper cabinets on both driver and passenger sides, even though I have the equipment for fishing wires and experience doing it. For us, the question came down to how much hassle it would be to fish the wires neatly behind the vinyl liner. Others can comment on their experiences with this… We decided our time modifying the trailer could be spent in other ways… I’m reasonably certain you will end up using the drops for various purposes, including lighting and will be glad to have them in place. Thanks! — Claude
MadCAT3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:24 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 - 19
Some drops are easier than others. Front Drivers side in the 19 is easy! Rear Drivers side less so but still doable. What is your time worth? Count on half a day if doing all four corners yourself and that is if you have all the bits and pieces.
Pembyescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2020, 09:39 PM   #4

Thanksl

Perspective of others who have made this journey before is awesome for me to tap into.
Old 06-23-2020, 10:39 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
In the end it comes down to how much you enjoy DIY stuff. Sometimes it doesn't even make economic sense to DIY but to hard core DIYers, so what, they enjoy doing it. Not to mention any names of course.

So, if you like doing things like that, go for it. If not, pay for it and it's done.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 02:42 AM   #6

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
We ordered the captains reading lights in all four corners. Not because we wanted the lights, but I thought it would be nice to have the 12 volts available. One of the forum members used the wiring from a captains light for a Maradyne 12 volt fan. That's what I plan to do.

If I wanted to run more wires, if I couldn't fish it, I would just make if pieces of trim to match, and rip a groove to hide or hold the wires in place.
Old 06-24-2020, 05:58 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you plan, you can keep your drops to a minimum. One drop, depending on Escape model, can do 3-4 o/h cabinets. In addition getting an extra 12 outlet which is the same cost gives you both power and an accessory outlet in the lower cabinets and one can supply the entire "U' area in dinette, one in kitchen and one under bed. So between 4-5 drops or extra 12v you should have access if needed. I have yet to tap into all of mine, but it is comforting they are already there.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:31 AM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Claude’s (MadCAT3) comment about time seems extremely pertinent to me. For those who know the layout of the 5.0TA, my spouse constantly complained about having to hold the tread on the second step open to access the storage area, having to grab stored items with only the other hand, and not being able to see inside because it was so dark. I sure wish I had known it would cause her such distress and I had paid ETI for a wire drop in the step. I spliced into the wiring for the 12v outlet in the outside storage cabinet (with the drawer that faces the stairs to the sleeping loft) to pick up power. Given the lack of any slack in the wires it was a PITA. I also had to work by feel to install a 12v light in the open area under the third step. I had already decided not to make the “conversion” to third step storage because I had asked Reace about it during my build and he said he considered the third step’s tread to be “structural.” By the time I got the light installed, added framing for one of the retainers ETI uses to hold cabinets open, and a “normally on” push switch so that when the step was closed, the light would go off I had spent about 8 hours cutting the added framing, determining exactly where the retainer and switch had to be attached to work properly, and making everything neat. I probably would have saved 3 hours if the wire drop was already there. While it is one of the three most time consuming mods I have made, it was the one I least enjoyed doing. She, however, is of the opinion that it is the best mod. Unless you have a lot of time and are not usually frustrated when unforeseen frustrations crop up, paying ETI for adding wire drops might be well worth the cost.
Old 06-24-2020, 06:53 AM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
If I were wanted lights in the mentioned spaces and did not have the drops, I would consider battery lights. Don't use them that much to constantly replace batteries
Old 06-24-2020, 07:00 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
That is exactly what I did until I got around to installing hardwired. As it was, I did not replace all the battery lights as they were working fine.
Old 06-24-2020, 08:34 AM   #11

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndep View Post
Question: I want to have under cabinet Puck lights In our 21NE build. Escape wants to charge me __$ each 12v drop. Would I be 1) money ahead and 2) easy to splice into the wiring for the under cabinet pancakes to DIY/add additional under cabinet lights myself?
Have them install a single 12v drop in every cabinet bank, ie. one drop in one of the overhead cabinets above the dinette. You can fish the wires between cabinets easily enough, but getting through the walls where there no cabinets can be tough. The cost is minimal in the long run. Besides it gives you flexibility in the future.
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 11:10 AM   #12

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
If I were wanted lights in the mentioned spaces and did not have the drops, I would consider battery lights. Don't use them that much to constantly replace batteries
We are using battery motion sensor lights. The one in the bath is used most (night time trips), it's been a year and I just replaced the batteries as it seems to be getting dim. Haven't changed batteries in the others (wardrobe and under stairs in 5.0TA).
Old 06-24-2020, 03:04 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 21NE
I just added one 12V outlet in the bed overhead that I figure I can tap off of and route through the upper cabinets as needed for reading lights etc.

Similarly in the front dinette, I can tap off the existing cabin lights mounted to the underside of the overhead cabs as needed. Wiremold wire covers come in colors and you can tuck them away in the upper cabs where you'd never see them, or for that matter vertically against a bulkhead corner.

The main thing is assuring there's SOME available power in each area that's separated, as routing through the vinyl/insulation would be beyond reasonable!
felix2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 03:58 PM   #14

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Any corner that has a removable pad (one screw) likely has a red and black wire running up it. This is what ETI would be tapping into to give you your 12 volt drop.

If not, it is easy to run your wires behind these pads. Once the wires are up they can be stuffed between the liner and the cabinets or behind the window valances.

The fuse panel also has some empty slots so you can hook up your new wire properly and not add onto an existing circuit.

There are some pictures of exposed wiring in my modifications link at the bottom of the page.
Attached Thumbnails
706A5E49-C69A-481E-BD1D-AC9A0A33D56E.jpg   0CD6B4C2-A21F-4E8F-A9CE-07DB805E7D30.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 04:59 PM   #15

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by felix2 View Post

The main thing is assuring there's SOME available power in each area that's separated, as routing through the vinyl/insulation would be beyond reasonable!
As has been pointed out after market wiring can be run pretty much anywhere.

Yup, even behind the vinyl/insulation as those of us who had Classic 19s did to install a light over the dinette table.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
12-11-2014 3-24-24 PM2_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2020, 07:47 PM   #16

Wow! All this input has been fantastic! I now a lot to think about - Thank you all!

Tags
12v, diy, interior, lights