14 Solar Installation Questions! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-08-2020, 05:50 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
14 Solar Installation Questions!

Semi flexible panel installation questions

I had planned to take a camping trip to Chilliwack next week to have ETI install solar. Border is closed, so now with nowhere to go, I am just sitting here working up the courage to follow others’ (e.g., Jim Bennett and brother) examples and install semi-flexible panels myself. Probably three Lensun 80 Watt panels (37”x21”, black with fiberglass backing) wired in parallel with a Victron SmartSolar 20a controller.

We have a 2017 Escape 19 with the solar pre-wire option, so should not be a big challenge, but I have several questions for those of you that have already done this. Some questions may sound a bit dumb, but bear in mind that I was a professional desk jockey and only a minor shade tree mechanic with no solar or electrical experience and I prefer not to reinvent the wheel.

1. What gauge does Escape use for the solar wiring? I know it is under our driver side dinette. Looks like the cap they have on the wire end reads 10awg, but it sure looks bigger than that to me and I did not have a tool with me to measure when I was out to storage yard.
2. Did you install a cutoff switch (and/or a fuse) between the panels and controller? If so, please share info or link to buy.
3. Did you install a fuse between the controller and the batteries? If so, what size, type, etc.
4. What did you use to secure your panels? VHB tape? Eternabond tape? Both? Something different? Why did you choose your particular securing product? (One concern I have is getting the adhesive cleaned off, should I need to replace a panel. Looks like they are all a PIA to remove.)
5. Did you leave any gaps for air (and water?) to get under panels for cooling? Why or why not?
6. How did you secure your solar cables to the roof?
7. What special electrical tools were required? I am thinking that this set looks pretty good: https://www.amazon.com/IWISS-Crimpin.../dp/B07BFT3B4V
8. Did you order longer than required connection cables and cut to custom length, or just secure the excess on roof? (I know if cutting cable, I will need custom tools like those linked above, to install new MC4 connectors.)
9. What supplies did you buy/order? (I will try to get everything online and avoid in-person shopping.)
10. What did you forget to buy initially?
11. Did you buy anything you did not need?
12. Given the option of a do-over, what would you do differently?
13. Any special comments/considerations.
14. And lastly, what the heck are the two silver & black doohickeys with the wires attached, also under my driver side dinette seat? Picture attached.
Attached Thumbnails
B1276C7B-1AB3-47A3-AF6B-C6988DE8884B.jpg  
ColoradoSwany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Doohickeys

The two doohickeys are the main DC circuit breakers.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 05:59 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Thanks!
Old 05-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColoradoSwany View Post
2. Did you install a cutoff switch (and/or a fuse) between the panels and controller? If so, please share info or link to buy.
3. Did you install a fuse between the controller and the batteries? If so, what size, type, etc.
Rules of thumb:
2. A fuse is not necessary between the panels and controller but a switch may be handy for testing or for some reason when you don't want the panels to provide power to the controller. This could be a circuit breaker in which case you get a fuse as a bonus. Reason - the panels in the worst case - short circuit - can not provide more amperage than their maximum rating.

3. Absolutely necessary. Reason - Should something go wrong in the controller then the batteries could send many hundreds of amps in the wrong direction and something could catch fire. General recommendation for the fuse/breaker is the amperage should be a bit greater than the total output of the solar panels (say 20-25 Amps) but in all cases smaller than the safe amperage of the wires between the batteries and controller (50-100 Amps). 25 Amps would be a reasonable value.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Doohickeys

I also ordered my trailer with the solar prep.
The bottom doohickey is the main 12v fuse (50 amp in my e19), the top one is for the output from solar controller you will install going to the battery (30 amp as far as I remember).
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 07:33 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
The bottom doohickey is the main 12v fuse (50 amp in my e19), the top one is for the output from solar controller you will install going to the battery (30 amp as far as I remember).
Aha! That would be wonderful if I already had my fuse! Then I just need to decide if I want a cutoff switch. Thanks!
Old 05-08-2020, 07:42 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Effie View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggscape View Post
Aha! Found them on Home Depot! Circuit breaker, a.k.a., over-current, fuse-type protector confirmed: https://www.homedepot.com/p/CURT-30-...8361/309095239

Thanks guys! BTW, doesn’t seem like Escape broke the bank buying these.
Old 05-08-2020, 07:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Rules of thumb:
2. A fuse is not necessary between the panels and controller but a switch may be handy for testing or for some reason when you don't want the panels to provide power to the controller. This could be a circuit breaker in which case you get a fuse as a bonus. Reason - the panels in the worst case - short circuit - can not provide more amperage than their maximum rating.

3. Absolutely necessary. Reason - Should something go wrong in the controller then the batteries could send many hundreds of amps in the wrong direction and something could catch fire. General recommendation for the fuse/breaker is the amperage should be a bit greater than the total output of the solar panels (say 20-25 Amps) but in all cases smaller than the safe amperage of the wires between the batteries and controller (50-100 Amps). 25 Amps would be a reasonable value.

--
Alan
Appreciate this, Alan! Trying to learn all I can about electricity/solar so I get it right the first time.
Old 05-08-2020, 08:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Fuses

Quote:
Appreciate this, Alan! Trying to learn all I can about electricity/solar so I get it right the first time.
Hi Ray
Best of luck on your solar install. I have no idea what circuit breakers you need or how much Escape spends on them. I do know that I’ve changed 100 and 200 amp fuses that cost 10 or 15 dollars that protected tens of thousands of dollars in ball field lighting, electric motors on pumps serving million gallon swimming pools and really never gave a thought to whether or not they were the best I could buy. I never had any let me down at a later time. I will say that since the Square D company had a good factory in our home town I specified Square D equipment on every panel replacement project and new construction we did in the 24 years I was Parks Superintendent. Seemed like the right thing to do. Yes, I was part of the good old boy network and proud of it.
Idea Dave
Old 05-08-2020, 09:12 PM   #10

Dave, as long as it works, I’m good. I will also admit that instead of counting my blessings like I should, I slide into crankiness now and again from this social isolation stuff. I do feel we need the social isolation, but it can and does get to me now and again. I think I am becoming a curmudgeon.
Old 05-08-2020, 09:23 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Grumpy old Man

I’ve had grumpy old man status including ice fishing with a dowel
Rod and a broken fishing pole I got out of the park trash for many years. I’ve been working outside the last few days and am feeling better on those days rather than watching TV and
Reading. I’ve been straightening up 14 years of hoarding, that’s been good too. Just remember this when you get old,:Nobody wants your stuff but you. Did get my one daughter to take a Hamm’s beer fishbowl glass and my grandson to take two conference freebie travel mugs. Otherwise it’s a tough sell.
Stay safe and don’t have any shocking experiences.
Iowa Dave
Old 05-08-2020, 10:29 PM   #12

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Give me a sunny day or 2 and I will have my three 80w Lensun panels installed and system hooked up on my 19 and I can tell you how it went. It has been a little cool and rainy here lately.
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2020, 10:36 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
Give me a sunny day or 2 and I will have my three 80w Lensun panels installed and system hooked up on my 19 and I can tell you how it went. It has been a little cool and rainy here lately.

Thanks! I was hoping you would see this, Mark!
Old 05-09-2020, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Thanks! I was hoping you would see this, Mark!
Looking at our weather forecast it may be the end if next week before I install the panels. I am going with VHB and it as a faster cure and better bond when we get above the 10 - 12 C highs we have been getting.
Old 05-09-2020, 12:25 PM   #15

Trailer: 17B Picked up 4/19/16
Lensun Install

Last month I installed two Lensun 60 watt on our 17. Ordered everything after Quartzite and waited for warm weather. I used 3M VHB number 4950. We had a Renogy Wanderer 30 amp controller, I did change it out to a new one with bluetooth. We had a 100 watt Renogy panel that we used as a portable and I wired to use that in the future. Nothing can be seen from the ground.

I also installed a two gallon accumulator tank, it made a world of difference in the way the pump runs. I am as pleased with it as I am the solar.

Good luck and post pics.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1151.JPG   IMG_1152.JPG  
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 12:37 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otter View Post
Last month I installed two Lensun 60 watt on our 17. Ordered everything after Quartzite and waited for warm weather. I used 3M VHB number 4950.
I have purchased VHB 5952 tape to do mine. Just a couple questions.
1. Did you rough the surface with scotch brite or equivalent before applying the tape or did you go right to the smooth gel coat?
2. Did you tape the entire edge?
3. Also, what was the temperature when you applied it?

Thanks
Old 05-09-2020, 01:06 PM   #17

Trailer: 17B Picked up 4/19/16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
I have purchased VHB 5952 tape to do mine. Just a couple questions.
1. Did you rough the surface with scotch brite or equivalent before applying the tape or did you go right to the smooth gel coat?
2. Did you tape the entire edge?
3. Also, what was the temperature when you applied it?

Thanks
Did not rough, used 50/50 alcohol and water wipe down after a good wash. Taped entire edge running parallel to the trailer, left about an 1/8 inch gap on the fore and aft ends. Also put some in the center of the panel. The temp was about 70 F. There are data sheets and instructions on 3M's website. I suppose time will tell. Madeline said if they blow off she is not walking down the highway to pick them up.
Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 01:20 PM   #18

Quote:
Did not rough, used 50/50 alcohol and water wipe down after a good wash. Taped entire edge running parallel to the trailer, left about an 1/8 inch gap on the fore and aft ends. Also put some in the center of the panel. The temp was about 70 F. There are data sheets and instructions on 3M's website. I suppose time will tell. Madeline said if they blow off she is not walking down the highway to pick them up.
Thanks. I am deciding if I will leave a gap or seal it tight. I notice on 3Ms site there were examples of the tape used on trailer and building panels providing both a bond and a seal. My background is Aeronautical Engineering and we used VHB in structural applications including some external installations for things like vortex generators where we did not want to install fasteners. It is definitely strong enough but surface preparation is key. I think it will be easier to remove than Eternabond if panel replacement is ever required.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:33 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Last month I installed two Lensun 60 watt on our 17. Ordered everything after Quartzite and waited for warm weather. I used 3M VHB number 4950. We had a Renogy Wanderer 30 amp controller, I did change it out to a new one with bluetooth. We had a 100 watt Renogy panel that we used as a portable and I wired to use that in the future. Nothing can be seen from the ground.

I also installed a two gallon accumulator tank, it made a world of difference in the way the pump runs. I am as pleased with it as I am the solar.

Good luck and post pics.
On the Lensun panels and accumulator tank installs ! We were at Quartzite too and the 3 60 watts were all we needed and solar had us back up before noon each day with needing to use heater to keep us warm and showers every night . The accumulator tank really is also a great improvement especially for quiet running . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2020, 03:30 PM   #20

Quote:

Good luck and post pics.
Nice, clean looking installation, Bill! Thanks for posting.