17B lift and larger tires - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Randy, the ETI Ambassador, brought the demo 17b to the Quartzsite gathering. He was talking about changing the suspension on the demo to a Timbren setup...
From what I've seen of the Timbren independent suspension and its crude pivot design, that would be a downgrade. Perhaps it allows greater vertical travel, but there are lots of other independent suspension systems which would be superior in that respect.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 09:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
From what I've seen of the Timbren independent suspension and its crude pivot design, that would be a downgrade. Perhaps it allows greater vertical travel, but there are lots of other independent suspension systems which would be superior in that respect.
The Timbren STi looks promising though...

But like you I wouldn't want the Timbren "Axle-Less" 'suspension'...not enough travel and IMHO not enough (or any) advantage over the Torflex to warrant the expense and hassle of retrofitting. Ditto OEM integration.
dstreight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 10:51 PM   #23

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B
dstrieght, yep on mud. Handle is 70 FJ40 there. Really like your Cruiser and Escape set up. Thats pretty much what I'd like to do. My Cruiser is not as modded as yours. It is our main family hauler and wife's daily. We have 2 kids so I think the 17B will be more in line with the amount of room we need. How does the trailer handle some of the off pavement? I don't think I'd want to do any serious stuff with it in tow but it would be really awesome to do some mild overlanding. Thinking mainly of some of what Utah has to offer. Do you think I should get the lift they offer? Its an extra $200 or something. Joldie from ETI told me it adds 2 and 1/2 inches.

Also I was thinking I would definitely get the front storage box but seeing your metal box with the ability to add a fuel can may be a better option. Did you find a box that works well or did you build that one?
77FJ40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2020, 11:02 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
dstrieght, yep on mud. Handle is 70 FJ40 there. Really like your Cruiser and Escape set up. Thats pretty much what I'd like to do. My Cruiser is not as modded as yours. It is our main family hauler and wife's daily. We have 2 kids so I think the 17B will be more in line with the amount of room we need. How does the trailer handle some of the off pavement? I don't think I'd want to do any serious stuff with it in tow but it would be really awesome to do some mild overlanding. Thinking mainly of some of what Utah has to offer. Do you think I should get the lift they offer? Its an extra $200 or something. Joldie from ETI told me it adds 2 and 1/2 inches.

Also I was thinking I would definitely get the front storage box but seeing your metal box with the ability to add a fuel can may be a better option. Did you find a box that works well or did you build that one?
With our "A" model we don't have anything like black tank tube hang-downs and not knowing just how much hangs down on an Escape "B" variant I'd say get the suspension lift anyway as...I have not found, having towed our 15A a several thousand miles with and without the lift, any negative aspect whatsoever with stability, etc. with the lift installed.

Rough sections of trail just require going slower. Don't know if you saw the video of us hauling arse across the Blackrock Desert playa a few months ago but we hit 80mph and the 'lil Escape was rock steady. But I've towed the former 3-trailers well over 25,000 miles of dirt so I'm used to it.

The Torflex suspension is the true limitation; I'd be surprised if there is more than about 2" of suspension travel...only so much one can with with 2" LOL. I'm getting ready to install new positive latching cabinet door and drawer handle/locks from Total Composites as I've already grown tired of all the doors & drawers flopping open even on pavement!

You are buying into Escape's quality fiberglass shell...everything else that they don't fab is typical crappy RV off the shelf fittings, etc. Fine for pavement pounders...
Old 02-13-2020, 01:23 AM   #25

The steel nose box I installed on our 15A came from TSC (Tractor Supply Co).
Old 02-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
The Timbren STi looks promising though...

But like you I wouldn't want the Timbren "Axle-Less" 'suspension'...not enough travel and IMHO not enough (or any) advantage over the Torflex to warrant the expense and hassle of retrofitting. Ditto OEM integration.
STi Air Ride Trailer Suspension
Yes, that looks better-constructed, and air is more complex but has advantages (in adjusting to load, raising slightly for off-road, and levelling at the campsite), but the travel still looks pretty short. The web page is very superficial, offering a contact link instead of specifications. It might be OEM-only, or just new.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 11:56 PM   #27

I contacted Timbren and they sent a 2-page data input sheet...but I've decided the cost-benefit just isn't there for what we want/need. And after looking at all the suspension alternatives (North American anyway )...our 15A is going to get a leaf conversion with shocks. Longer springs...rear 60-Series LandCruiser length.

Won't happen for a few months as too many trips, projects (and work ) in the pipeline. But one way or another the Torflex is going bye-bye this year.
Old 02-14-2020, 09:46 AM   #28

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I’d go hang out and talk with folks that actually build and convert these on a daily basis if I were thinking of doing an off-road axle/suspension conversion. Most of the shops that have extensive experience in off-road suspensions would be better able to make recommendations of what system would be best for the trailer.
We have a number of good off-road shops in Phoenix, and they guided me on the different shock options for my Frontier. Their recommendations were dead on when I finally changed out my shocks and I’ve been very happy with them.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 09:59 AM   #29

^ vast majority of off-road trailer companies with vast experience are in Australia; seldom to none stateside (although plenty of shops that profess to be off-road trailer suspension experts...been there done that).

The suspension I had on my Kimberley Kamper was incredible. Unfortunately to source similar from AU with freight is out of our budget reach. Could fab from scratch but again its more complicated than I want for this project. Even thought about an entirely new trailer chassis and then just swap the fiberglass body over...and that may indeed be where we end up. But for now a leaf conversion will be budget friendly...and we're confident it will be significantly better at handling/absorbing road and trail undulations much better than what Torflex was ever designed to handle.
Old 02-14-2020, 10:12 AM   #30

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
There are two Scamp Trailers being converted to Timbren system currently in the same thread on ScampOwners if interested. One is a 13 which he just completed and is ready for trial camping trip, and a 19 that is in process.
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/1...n-axle-upgrade
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:32 PM   #31

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
I can say that the stock suspension on our 2015 17-B is violent when hitting potholes and bridges around major cities on I 80 at highway speeds. I would love something better.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 11:32 AM   #32

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
17 suspension

Ours ridies quite well on the rough freeways or pot holes, believe the WD hitch helps a lot and the Dodge Durango at 5000#.
AZjack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2020, 11:38 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstreight View Post
With our "A" model we don't have anything like black tank tube hang-downs and not knowing just how much hangs down on an Escape "B" variant I'd say get the suspension lift anyway as...I have not found, having towed our 15A a several thousand miles with and without the lift, any negative aspect whatsoever with stability, etc. with the lift installed.

Rough sections of trail just require going slower. Don't know if you saw the video of us hauling arse across the Blackrock Desert playa a few months ago but we hit 80mph and the 'lil Escape was rock steady. But I've towed the former 3-trailers well over 25,000 miles of dirt so I'm used to it.

The Torflex suspension is the true limitation; I'd be surprised if there is more than about 2" of suspension travel...only so much one can with with 2" LOL. I'm getting ready to install new positive latching cabinet door and drawer handle/locks from Total Composites as I've already grown tired of all the doors & drawers flopping open even on pavement!

You are buying into Escape's quality fiberglass shell...everything else that they don't fab is typical crappy RV off the shelf fittings, etc. Fine for pavement pounders...
We are getting closer to pulling the trigger on a new 17B. I don't like the idea of finding stuff all over the trailer from doors and drawers coming open while in transit. Would you recommend I ask ETI to leave the cabinet handles off so that I can install my own? What ones are you getting from total composites?
Old 02-18-2020, 12:12 AM   #34

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
The only time I've found cupboards open is after a long run on washboard. I've never had the drawers open. If I know I'm going for a rough ride, I run bungee cord through the cupboard handles and across the fridge door ( don't put heavy stuff in the fridge door ).
I have tried using those expanding fridge bars to keep cans in the lower cupboard without success. Bungee keeps it closed and you can put it away when you arrive at your destination. You also don't have to struggle to open some sort of childproof latch when at camp.
The upper cabinets open upward, so they stay closed by themselves.
Attached Thumbnails
Can cupboard bungee.jpg   Fridge bungee.jpg   barred - 1.jpg  
Old 02-18-2020, 06:44 AM   #35

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Having towed single axle trailers for my first 5 years camping, the switch to tandem axles really decreases sway as well as things getting thrown about inside while under tow. If this is an issue, you may want to consider the E19 vs trying modifying to smooth out a single axle unit.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:37 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Having towed single axle trailers for my first 5 years camping, the switch to tandem axles really decreases sway as well as things getting thrown about inside while under tow. If this is an issue, you may want to consider the E19 vs trying modifying to smooth out a single axle unit.
This I understand and have considered several times. Reasons for us to stay with a single axle are: 1 The bigger trailer is not going to be something that can be taken off pavement to rougher terrain nearly as well. 2 Turning and backing are much more difficult. Especially in tight situations. 3 The 19's layout is not as much to my liking for the 4 of us. I'm pretty sure once my kids get a little older they will much prefer their own bunk rather than sleeping together on a bed. One is a boy, the other a girl. 4 The 19 is another pretty good jump in $$$. It is already a nearly unjustifiable amount spent on something we'll only use 16 to 24 nights a year. The things we can do and the memories we can make with our kids is the only thing pushing it over the edge. Plus the knowledge of knowing if/when we need to sell we will probably only have lost a couple thousand dollars in value.
Old 02-18-2020, 08:58 AM   #37

@77FJ40, here's the link to the TC page: https://totalcomposites.com/product-...rage-hardware/

I'm retrofitting the Finger Pull Latches. You can ask Escape but if the drawer fronts and doors are similar to mine, with overlay on the top/side (latch handle sides) they will need to be cut down so basically no overlay to accommodate these pulls. If you are even slightly handy, and Escape won't accommodate, maybe order without cabinet doors and drawer fronts and either make them yourself or use one of the many online shops to order the exact size, style, etc. after delivery.

The bungee cord or similar works; we just grew tired of messing with it so I'm in process of fitting all the drawers and doors with the above latches. It will be done once and for all.

Also, our cabinet door hinges are just plain pin style hinges and the drawer slides are as basic as they come. If Escape now uses concealed style 35mm hinges with self-closing feature this would go a long way for keeping the doors closed on pavement and relatively smooth gravel roads. Ditto for the drawer slides: Knape & Vogt makes an RV specific drawer slide that features a stronger 'stay closed' spring...which I am also installing.
Old 02-18-2020, 10:33 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Fyi 77fj40....Do not forget the E19 also offers a front bunk option...here is mine pulling my first E19
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0367.jpeg  
Old 02-18-2020, 02:32 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Fyi 77fj40....Do not forget the E19 also offers a front bunk option...here is mine pulling my first E19
I thought you could only get what they call a cot on that model. Can you get the actual bunk? Does yours have it? Any pics?
Old 02-18-2020, 03:14 PM   #40

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 77FJ40 View Post
I thought you could only get what they call a cot on that model. Can you get the actual bunk? Does yours have it? Any pics?
You can only get a cot in the 19. You cannot get a bunk like you can on the 17.

Tags
17b lift, larger tires, trailer lift