17B wardrobe by dinette & top 3 options - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-11-2017, 01:59 PM   #21

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
At the time of my 2009 build I was told by ETI that I needed to decide if I was going with two 6V or one 12V because the frame needed to be built for the extra weight.
I'm sure you could add dual 6V later, or anything else. It's just that the cost of doing certain things later is prohibitive.
Old 09-11-2017, 02:46 PM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I think adding a complete ETI bathroom is a no-go too. You might be able to DIY that works however.
the original poster has already decided on a 17b model so they wouldn't have to add a full bathroom.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:48 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
At the time of my 2009 build I was told by ETI that I needed to decide if I was going with two 6V or one 12V because the frame needed to be built for the extra weight.
Since the frame rails won't likely be different in size or thickness, I assume that this is just a matter of the brackets which hold the batteries. They are welded in, so it would be better to get this right in the original build.

It certainly seems worth at least asking the factory if the current version of the stock 17' trailer will accommodate dual batteries later without structural modification. Even if the brackets are okay, adding the second battery may involve shifting the spare tire location (in the past, I believe the single battery setup had the spare offset further to the side away from the battery).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 02:52 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Marry is likely referring to the added insulation on the walls, that would be extremely tough to do later.
It's my understanding, by the Escape Trailer brochure, that there is already a "unique, INSULATED vinyl headliner/wall covering". Is/are there 2 different grades of headliner/wall insulation?
Old 09-11-2017, 03:01 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Since the frame rails won't likely be different in size or thickness, I assume that this is just a matter of the brackets which hold the batteries. They are welded in, so it would be better to get this right in the original build.

It certainly seems worth at least asking the factory if the current version of the stock 17' trailer will accommodate dual batteries later without structural modification. Even if the brackets are okay, adding the second battery may involve shifting the spare tire location (in the past, I believe the single battery setup had the spare offset further to the side away from the battery).
My 17b had only one 12 volt battery when I purchased it (second hand). I requested a second battery and it was secured under the rear dinette/bed by ETI. The spare tire was already offset on the rear bumper. The two batteries, one on the bumper and one inside and under the bed were only about 4" away from each other. I would think 2 six volt batteries could have the same configuration. I no longer use the second, under the dinette/bed battery, as I found it much too difficult to maintain/service/check on because we have full time mattress on the rear bed. I now have just one 12 volt battery on the bumper, and that seems like enough for my style of camping.
Old 09-11-2017, 03:47 PM   #26

Trailer: escape 21, 2018
J Mac, when we were up at ETI recently we asked what we would get if we didn't get the extra insulation. The 'head liner' material is a layer of fabric fused to a layer of open cell foam. The extra insulation is a layer of closed cell foam about the same thickness as the headliner.
snowmtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:00 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The stock insulation stops at the belly band, if you get the thermal windows the extra insulation takes it down to the floor, thus with the foam underneath and extra insulation you are just about 100% covered.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:14 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The stock insulation stops at the belly band, if you get the thermal windows the extra insulation takes it down to the floor, thus with the foam underneath and extra insulation you are just about 100% covered.
The brochure is a bit misleading then. I grew up thinking that walls went from ceiling to floor. Still, I don't see it as too much of an add on. I like the idea that any and all the options on the 17b can be done at a later time.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:28 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
The brochure is a bit misleading then. I grew up thinking that walls went from ceiling to floor. Still, I don't see it as too much of an add on. I like the idea that any and all the options on the 17b can be done at a later time.
The last several posts do not agree with your conclusion.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:31 PM   #30

Quote:
The last several posts do not agree with your conclusion.
Just because they didn't answer my response with a response of their own doesn't mean they don't agree. I've answered all their doubts. Read my answers too. Name an option that can't be done at a later date. I've not read one yet!
Old 09-11-2017, 04:48 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
The standard insulation is the foam on the inside of the wall and ceiling liner, so what stops at the belly band?

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 04:52 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
The standard insulation is the foam on the inside of the wall and ceiling liner, so what stops at the belly band?
That's a good question. The brochure states it covers ceilings and walls.
Here's a quote from the Escape's on line brochure:

All of the Escape travel trailers have a 100% molded fiberglass body.... The interior is professionally finished with natural oak cabinetry, large windows, high-grade linoleum flooring, and a unique insulated vinyl headliner/wall covering.

Don't walls normally go from the ceiling to the floor?
Old 09-11-2017, 04:57 PM   #33

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Obviously you can add options later. All you have to do is rebuild the trailer. Least costly way to do it is to order a new trailer with the options in place.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:04 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Obviously you can add options later. All you have to do is rebuild the trailer. Least costly way to do it is to order a new trailer with the options in place.
Of course. Nobody is debating that.
(Nice try gbaglo, but the trailer does not have to be rebuilt to add any of the options.)
What seems to be up to debate is whether or not all options can be done at a later date. I say they can. My point being, why struggle and fret over a build sheet now, if all options can be done later. Enjoy now and see what options are worth doing later and which options aren't.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:06 PM   #35

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Quote:
Just because they didn't answer my response with a response of their own doesn't mean they don't agree.
Were you referring to me? Jim's answer was dang on.
Checking our build pictures, a classic '16, there is insulation from top to bottom between the wall and the "insulated" headliner.
Pretty sure the headliner will give some insulation, but the stuff put in between the outside wall and the inside wall, when ordering extra insulation, will be very costly as an after construction option.
The word "EXTRA" is probably the answer to the question about wether or not a standard Escape trailer has insulation.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:09 PM   #36

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapitre View Post
We had a 17b and you can still keep the full dinette as is, but we left it down all the time, had a foam topper on it. We stayed in it for a month or so at a time, and we felt it was fairly comfortable. That way you still have the full dinette if need be.
We had the closet by the door, although it was handy, we always felt the front dinette to be a bit tight, but we did have the gaucho bunk, which makes it even smaller. With the longer bench you would have more room to sit- and also put on your shoes. You would have the extra space under the bench, and could always put a door on the face or side.
Ditto on the 4-person dinette. We didn't want it converted to a bed full-time because as a dinette we can switch it back if we want to, plus it's easy to just throw stuff under there since it's open. Very convenient for us. The foam topper is just fine for occasional use, but I could see that if you are spending weeks at a time a full-time bed with a high quality mattress would be appreciated.

We thought about putting a cabinet door in the extended bench, but we didn't and accessing through the top is pretty easy. We just don't put frequently needed things in there, which means it's usually completely empty.
skyfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #37

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post

ETI's response to me 6 months ago on this topic was:

"The location of the spare tire depends solely on whether a customer selects a single 12V or Dual 6V"

Which makes sense because they would want to balance the weight between the two tires. I went with Dual 6V batteries even though my plan was to replace them with dual 6V AGMs in the future. I think they now allow you to omit the batteries, but that wasn't available when I bought.

On the rest of the thread, sure, anything can be added later with enough effort even if ETI won't do it themselves, but I wouldn't want to pay to have added insulation and new windows installed... That would be my top option recommendation just because of the hassle of doing it later, followed closely by the much loved storage box and solar.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2017, 06:38 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulk View Post
ETI's response to me 6 months ago on this topic was:

"The location of the spare tire depends solely on whether a customer selects a single 12V or Dual 6V"
I wonder if that's because the dual 6 volt batteries are located on the bumper and dual 12 volt batteries are located with 1 on the bumper and the 2nd under the bed on the passenger side. I see no reason to not put 2 six volt batteries similar to this 12 volt configuration. My two 12 volt batteries were only about 4 inches apart. Does anybody know why?
Old 09-11-2017, 06:41 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marry View Post
Were you referring to me? Jim's answer was dang on.
Checking our build pictures, a classic '16, there is insulation from top to bottom between the wall and the "insulated" headliner.
Pretty sure the headliner will give some insulation, but the stuff put in between the outside wall and the inside wall, when ordering extra insulation, will be very costly as an after construction option.
The word "EXTRA" is probably the answer to the question about wether or not a standard Escape trailer has insulation.
Here is what Reace said awhile back
Hello Everyone,

We would like to take a moment to clarify a couple of things regarding the Extra Insulation with Thermal Window Option.

If you order a trailer with the Standard Insulation Package it comes with the headliner material glued directly to the fiberglass shell. We will then cover any exposed or visible areas under the benches with the Reflectix Insulation.

If you add the Extra Insulation option, Reflectix Insulation then completely covers the interior of the trailer (except the floor). However, the 21' Escape and the NEW Escape 5.0 Tandem Axle Fifth Wheel, we do not line the ceiling with Reflectix, we use a honeycomb material in the fiberglass process which strengthens the roof and provides additional insulation.

During the last 5-6 months we have been changing the method of insulation throughout the trailer including:
- behind the bathroom
- wheel wells
- exterior door

This is why you are seeing the differences between your trailers. If you have ordered a trailer with the Extra Insulation but do not see it in your trailer, you may have to peel the headliner back slightly.

Thank you,

Reace
Old 09-11-2017, 06:42 PM   #40

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:
I wonder if that's because the dual 6 volt batteries are located on the bumper and dual 12 volt batteries are located with 1 on the bumper and the 2nd under the bed on the passenger side. I see no reason to not put 2 six volt batteries similar to this 12 volt configuration. My two 12 volt batteries were only about 4 inches apart. Does anybody know why?
Was that a previous configuration option? I'm pretty sure dual 12 volt isn't an option now. They just do dual 6 volt or single 12 volt, at least on the 17b.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote