17B with gaucho bunk beds: modifications, décor, and storage solutions - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 06-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
(One can see photos of the interior by clicking on the web site provided in the first post and going to the Blog.)

Your trailer is amazing and, with all the special touches, you're going to really love your home away from home!! Enjoy and thank you for sharing all this information!
Thank you Jan!
Jon & Adrienne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2018, 06:03 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
You have really made it your own! You'll have many wonderful years of family adventures together!
Old 06-07-2018, 06:59 PM   #23

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
One can see photos of the interior by clicking on the web site provided in the first post and going to the Blog.
https://www.seattleurbangetaways.com...amper-redesign

Very nice work. Thanks for sharing new ideas and noting where the forum guided you.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 02:45 AM   #24

Trailer: August 2017 17b
Jon and Adrienne - Thanks so much for sharing! - and sharing all the details.
Hope you and your kids enjoy thoroughly!
sumac.rhus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 03:17 PM   #25

Thank you so very much to Donna D for fixing our picture display issue!! Everything should be displaying correctly now.

Thank you to others for the nice comments!

Also, for reference, I thought I would include some of our custom choices during the build process:
  • Outside graphics color: silver
  • Countertops are Mineral Spa with cream colored trim
  • Seat cushions are from Sailrite: Nauga Soft Feather (It's a soft vinyl and cleans up really well. I poured ketchup, soy sauce, and chocolate sauce on all our fabric samples, and everything easily wiped off this Nauga Soft line.)
  • Flooring is Shaw City Park Boardwalk
Old 06-11-2018, 03:36 PM   #26

What a great idea to put the fabric through the tests before purchase. With kids, you don't want to worry constantly about the cushions. It's camping!
Old 06-12-2018, 12:55 AM   #27

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
WOW!!!

We have a much older 17B but I like some the things you have done---I wish we had the ledge in the bathroom and our screen door is a bi fold so the wall where your pegboard is--is taken up by it...

I carry probably too much stuff in mine--but we are only two people!!

We have a travasak (same idea as your bedding) I sewed a pillowslip on the bottom edge to tuck in under the cushions so one of us can't pull all the covers all askew. It stays in place nicely..
Old 06-13-2018, 12:17 PM   #28

Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
Wow, a lot of nice mods. You sure have personalized your 17B.
I have a few easier ones to add and some questions about some of yours.
Additions:
Because I only travel with kids occasionally I wanted the option of removing the upper bunk and making the front area more usable. To that end I ground off the ends of the hinge pins and replaced them with quick links. Now I can leave the upper bunk pieces at home and use the full lower bunk as my bed. Now the lower bunk is full size and a very comfortable single bed. And when needed, re-installing the upper bunk is an easy 5 minute task. I mentioned this to Reace and he seemed to like it.
Attached Thumbnails
Hinge Pin.jpg  
Blacksburg, VA
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:43 PM   #29

I made a couple of standard additions to the screen door: a grab bar and a grill. I think they should come standard with the doors, but they are easy to add. The bar makes opening and closing the door much more convenient and the grill really protects the screen, especially with young kids and dogs. The pic also shows a collapsible broom held in place by a 3M Command Broom Grabber off to the left.
Attached Thumbnails
ScreenDoora.jpg  
Blacksburg, VA
Old 06-13-2018, 12:52 PM   #30

Clearly my mods are a lot simpler, but I think useful.
My main question is how did you go about attaching the backsplash tiles to the soft vinyl wall behind the stove? I think a re-design there by ETI would be welcome and I have already worried about that space close to the stove over time.
I like your bathroom mods. I had already added the tension bars in the med cabinet and over the shelf, and think I'll try the suction cup additions as well.
I've also added tension bars in some of the cabinets as well, and of course in the fridge.
Thanks for all the ideas and for sharing.

Walt
Blacksburg, VA
Old 06-13-2018, 04:39 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
What a great idea to put the fabric through the tests before purchase. With kids, you don't want to worry constantly about the cushions. It's camping!
Yes! At home, we have carpet under our dining table, so I have way too much experience scrubbing food out. I wanted the trailer to be easy to clean.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:49 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by amirie View Post
WOW!!!

We have a much older 17B but I like some the things you have done---I wish we had the ledge in the bathroom and our screen door is a bi fold so the wall where your pegboard is--is taken up by it...

I carry probably too much stuff in mine--but we are only two people!!

We have a travasak (same idea as your bedding) I sewed a pillowslip on the bottom edge to tuck in under the cushions so one of us can't pull all the covers all askew. It stays in place nicely..
Thanks! We were pleasantly surprised by the ledge. Maybe it is newer?

I did come across Travasak when I was looking for bedding. Yes, they are exactly the same, but Travasak went out of business, so I believe RV Superbag is the only option for this type of bedding right now. That's a a good idea about adding the pillowslip so you can tuck something in. I'll keep that in mind if our bedding moves around too much.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:06 PM   #33

Adrienne, that is also a great choice of flooring, because it won't show much dirt. I find that if I use one of the floor wipes that is available with a swiffer type wet mop--I can clean the whole floor in about 3 minutes. I just use my hand instead of a handle.

Walt, I love that bar on the screen door. I'm ordering today and will put in as soon as it gets here.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
Clearly my mods are a lot simpler, but I think useful.
My main question is how did you go about attaching the backsplash tiles to the soft vinyl wall behind the stove? I think a re-design there by ETI would be welcome and I have already worried about that space close to the stove over time.
I like your bathroom mods. I had already added the tension bars in the med cabinet and over the shelf, and think I'll try the suction cup additions as well.
I've also added tension bars in some of the cabinets as well, and of course in the fridge.
Thanks for all the ideas and for sharing.

Walt
Thanks for sharing your mods, Walt!

That is a really clever solution to make the upper bunk optional, so that you can comfortably sleep an adult on a single bed. That makes your trailer very versatile!

The grab bar and grill for the screen are also great ideas, I think I might get those. Thanks again for sharing!

As for the backsplash, it is a peel and stick kind. So it just sticks onto any smooth surface. It is not actually designed to take heat, but I think there is enough space between the stove and wall, it's just barely okay. I guess it would protect the vinyl wall behind it, but mostly it's just for decoration.
Old 06-13-2018, 05:24 PM   #35

Quote:
Adrienne, that is also a great choice of flooring, because it won't show much dirt. I find that if I use one of the floor wipes that is available with a swiffer type wet mop--I can clean the whole floor in about 3 minutes. I just use my hand instead of a handle.

Walt, I love that bar on the screen door. I'm ordering today and will put in as soon as it gets here.
That's a good idea to just keep a box of those on hand. I'm going to get some, thanks for the tip!
Old 06-13-2018, 06:10 PM   #36

I cannot seem to post a picture but I just finished a backsplash using the same Formica as the countertop. It goes from the kitchen window, left, around the corner and on the back of the wardrobe (which would be the bathroom wall in a “B”).
Old 06-13-2018, 07:32 PM   #37

Nice upgrades to your 17B. What did you use/do for black out curtains? Thanks
balldt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 11:37 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by balldt View Post
Nice upgrades to your 17B. What did you use/do for black out curtains? Thanks
We used these: AmazonBasics Room Darkening Blackout Curtain Set

I put the link for these curtains and the magnets in post #14. I noticed on a desktop, all my links are underlined and easy to see, but on my iPhone, the links are not underlined and are an almost imperceptible dark gray.

For the curtains, I think we are going to add a couple more magnets on the sides to give them extra holding power because the top magnets go to screws under the valances and are harder to attach.
Old 06-14-2018, 05:49 AM   #39

Trailer: looking
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon & Adrienne View Post
We used these: AmazonBasics Room Darkening Blackout Curtain Set

I put the link for these curtains and the magnets in post #14. I noticed on a desktop, all my links are underlined and easy to see, but on my iPhone, the links are not underlined and are an almost imperceptible dark gray.

For the curtains, I think we are going to add a couple more magnets on the sides to give them extra holding power because the top magnets go to screws under the valances and are harder to attach.
My compliments on your customizations, this thread will be a sticky for me to reference in the future.
redarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 01:01 PM   #40

Quote:
I cannot seem to post a picture but I just finished a backsplash using the same Formica as the countertop. It goes from the kitchen window, left, around the corner and on the back of the wardrobe (which would be the bathroom wall in a “B”).
Someone posted something similar in the Facebook Escape group, was that you? In the "Quick Reply" there is no attach picture option, but if I click the "Go Advanced" button at the bottom of the comment box, then I can attach pictures. Was this your backsplash?
Attached Thumbnails
backsplash.jpg