19 Wardrobe Dilemma - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-07-2020, 11:42 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 19’
19 Wardrobe Dilemma

I’m so bummed - we didn’t realize what the “drawer under wardrobe” was on the build sheet and didn’t order it so now we have one big deep empty wardrobe closet. Our walls aren’t reinforced either so not sure if we could add our own shelves or not. Trying to figure out what to do since it’s the bottom is sunk down in the space where the drawer would be. Any suggestions on storage solutions?
Attached Thumbnails
C79EEB0F-A20D-4123-AA99-EAC704EB247Da.jpg   1CA9CC50-063C-4AF8-96EC-FBAA0C965562a.jpg  
moandbrett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:08 PM   #2

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i ( my step father) built a double wine rack in the bottom great for wine or other large bottles to be stored so they don't roll around
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 01:15 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
All is not lost. You have a couple of choices.

You could buy the drawer from ETI install it and a false bottom in the closet and end up with what you missed ordering.

You don't need a solid wall to add shelves. This is how ETI constructs walls. There's lot's of solid wood available. You can feel where it is.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0280_resize.jpg  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:05 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
One of the 1st additions I did was add the drawer. Ordered from Escape and it was reasonable and came with all hardware and handle to match. Easy to add the now raised closet bottom. I found at Canadian Tire a 5 drawer plastic storage unit that fits wardrobe and a narrow gap is left to one side for a hanging rod if needed.

When we found our new to us 2017 E19 last spring, I was lucky to pick up at Windsor Plywood up here, a 4x8 sheet of Vipco Western Oak paneling. After numerous mods, the biggest being the raised dinette, I have pretty well used it up. I will be passing Escape in August and will be buying lengths of assorted trim. I strive to have my changes keep stock appearance and who knows when build products won't be found.
ChuckBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 03:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
....You don't need a solid wall to add shelves. This is how ETI constructs walls. There's lot's of solid wood available. You can feel where it is.

Ron
Thanks for highlighting that - eliminates a bit of 'reinforced wall or not' angst in build-sheet decisions
Old 08-07-2020, 03:21 PM   #6

You're welcome. The solid wall syndrome seemed to develop as a herd mentality situation. One person would express worry that they wouldn't be able to do this or that and pretty soon lot's more folks were thinking they should get a reinforced wall and then it seems like after that some folks were getting just about every wall reinforced.

I've mounted TV arms by the stove in my 19 and by the closet in my 21 using the framing available. So having those walls reinforced isn't necessary for anyone thinking that they had to be to mount a TV.

Ron
Old 08-12-2022, 11:36 AM   #7

Trailer: 2013 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by moandbrett View Post
I’m so bummed - we didn’t realize what the “drawer under wardrobe” was on the build sheet and didn’t order it so now we have one big deep empty wardrobe closet. Our walls aren’t reinforced either so not sure if we could add our own shelves or not. Trying to figure out what to do since it’s the bottom is sunk down in the space where the drawer would be. Any suggestions on storage solutions?

My heater is under the wardrobe? Classic E19. But there is a lot dead space. I cut out & put a door under the heater(fits the I think 1 1/2 gal sized industrial white bucket with lid(trash is now away from my 3 dogs, lid for any stink), 10=12" dead space under there. Then put my own deep 25/26" drawer top of heater under wardrobe. I USE my wardrobe, (lots of shirts, coats). I found a small wire basket I put on the top of the door, that fills the dead space above the shoulders of the clothes on hangers. Holds my socks. The other "shoulder" space has a tight compression fit shelf 3=4" height 9" deep for "unmentionables". Have to reach through(can see the front edge). And I'm going to build some thin shelves back against the outside wall's dead space(closet is deeper than 23". As just another space to hold "off season" clothes. Then the small key hooks for belts on the side wall. I used double side tape, to back up the one screw that I could hit wood framing with. OH, length? You can see, I use those hangers that hold more than one shirt. I had to cut down to 3 from 6.
Attached Thumbnails
closet.jpg  
Chasing Trials is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:05 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Reinforcing walls may allow mounting of heavier items away from the traditional corner support, but some reinforce all the walls. If you plan/know ahead your plans you can select the area for reinforcement.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:25 PM   #9

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Hi: moandbrett... I'd go visit my friend IKEA. They have lots of storage items for small spaces + tape measures also. A trip is in your future and you could tow the victim there too!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2022, 12:36 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasing Trials View Post
Classic E19. But there is a lot dead space.
The Classic does have a lot of unexploited space.

I bought two doors from ETI and opened up the space under the furnace. There's more space there than it looks like because you can reach in and around and put stuff in the wheel well space.

Another person removed all the 1/8" plywood, lined the area with carpet and gained a huge amount of storage space.

I also opened up the end of the kitchen counter. There's an unused space there over the wheel wells running the whole length of the counter. I used it for storing, umm, long objects.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
23-11-2014 3-49-27 PM8_resize.jpg   27-11-2014 2-57-22 PM1_resize.jpg   15-05-2015 10-14-58 AM_0003_resize.jpg   15-05-2015 10-15-24 AM_0005_resize.JPG  
Old 08-12-2022, 01:24 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
The Classic does have a lot of unexploited space.

I bought two doors from ETI and opened up the space under the furnace. There's more space there than it looks like because you can reach in and around and put stuff in the wheel well space.

Another person removed all the 1/8" plywood, lined the area with carpet and gained a huge amount of storage space.

I also opened up the end of the kitchen counter. There's an unused space there over the wheel wells running the whole length of the counter. I used it for storing, umm, long objects.

Ron

Here is my use of the under heater space for dog proof trash can. Door is from the end of bench, went there. Taller door from RT. side under bed(dog bed now), went to the now raised & taller bench end.

I started to open the Kitchen end(& peeked in, but left for now for the same purpose........ ). As I do want to put a new counter top on. Flip stove 45% gain 3"?, move sink to the left 1" gain 4" in-between sink & stove, put a flat 2+" high?, drawer under a pull out cutting board, the middle of the counter right between sink & stove, up tight under the counter top. another dead space), What is the metal locking door?, where is from? Something with the back cut off? I have a neat little craftsman pegged oak "Sample door" for there. All before I put a stripper pole in.
Attached Thumbnails
Trash spot.jpg  
Old 08-12-2022, 04:14 PM   #12

Quote:

I started to open the Kitchen end(& peeked in, but left for now for the same purpose........ ).
A major difference between Gen 1s and Gen 2s is the under counter area. On my Gen 1 19 I wanted an out of sight secure space to comply with Canada's storage laws about certain objects.

So the space over the wheel wells was perfect. You can see it runs the full counter length and at the far end is a little opening. If you open the exterior hatch, put your head in and look forward you can see the space.

In my case, I made a steel locking door, put 4 magnets on an oak panel that snapped onto the steel. If a person opened the door they probably wouldn't have known that there was anything of value hiding there.

The Gen 2 under counter space is different in that the mid-level shelf extends right to the trailer shell. If you're going to remove your counter etc. this would be an easy mod for you to gain under counter space.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
15-05-2015 10-15-46 AM_0006_resize.jpg   IMGP0001_resize.jpg  
Old 08-12-2022, 10:40 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
One of my thoughts when we bought the E19 was to open up some of the dead space. After 120 nights, I’ve yet to need anymore space, so I haven’t.
Old 08-13-2022, 03:49 AM   #14

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
One of my thoughts when we bought the E19 was to open up some of the dead space. After 120 nights, I’ve yet to need anymore space, so I haven’t.

Since 2018 we’re 100-200 pounds lighter from our 2nd trip in January 2019.. Every trip we look at what we no longer need and remove those items. For instance, now that we use a Omnia Oven, the Weber Q now stays home. I did install the top step in our 5.0 though and it’s great for storing our shoes. Even the truck bed is lighter and has more room today than in 2019!

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 08:01 AM   #15

Quote:

You can still put one in easily. Or maybe a handy friend. A flat piece of oak can be the drawer front, or ask for one from ETI $$$. If fit the build in tight, a lot of it will hold it's self in place. But there is "framing" in all 4 corners, & most of the time in the center somewhere. Put a fitted piece of 1/8 or 1/4" ply over cleats, as the bottom of closet. Or set dividers down in deep spot, sock & etc. area? If you have a local Restore(a store for leftover materials, etc.), A place to haunt for the little odd amounts.
Old 08-13-2022, 09:56 AM   #16

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
The container store also has lots of useful things.
Old 08-13-2022, 10:25 AM   #17

Trailer: 21
Here’s what we did for our pantry
Attached Thumbnails
C416B365-9D33-4D41-9573-3A2BDCCD27D6a.jpg  
Old 08-13-2022, 01:29 PM   #18

Seems like it might be an almost 50/50 split with folks using that area as a pantry vrs. a hanging locker.

I'm in the hanging locker camp. Of course that may be area of usage related. Here, I want my rain jacket handy.

Ron
Old 08-13-2022, 01:46 PM   #19
MVA

Trailer: 2017 E19
Closet Mod

We also did not order the under-closet drawer. We ordered from ETI the drawer front, cut the cabinet open under the closet door, and mounted the drawer front as a door. We then added a bottom for the hanging closet and additional shelves for storage. See:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post426491
MVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2022, 02:12 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
Quote:
The other "shoulder" space has a tight compression fit shelf 3=4" height 9" deep for "unmentionables".
But you mentioned them...

Tags
storage, wardrobe