1st Trip—Trash can? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-22-2021, 09:04 AM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21NE
1st Trip—Trash can?

Hello fellow Escapers!

We’re making our 1st trip in our new Escape 21NE. HUGE learning curve as this is our 1st RV. (Tent camped extensively b4)

Survey of y’all with storage experience (doesn’t have to be 21ne):
What do you do with trash at campsite before you throw it out in dumpster? Do you have a trash can? What size and where do you put it in the camper? Just a bag you fill? Do you hang it somewhere?

Let me know how you handle trash until you’re ready to dump it!

Thanks!
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 09:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by TravelMama View Post
Hello fellow Escapers!

We’re making our 1st trip in our new Escape 21NE. HUGE learning curve as this is our 1st RV. (Tent camped extensively b4)

Survey of y’all with storage experience (doesn’t have to be 21ne):
What do you do with trash at campsite before you throw it out in dumpster? Do you have a trash can? What size and where do you put it in the camper? Just a bag you fill? Do you hang it somewhere?

Let me know how you handle trash until you’re ready to dump it!

Thanks!
Hi: TravelMama... We use an IKEA flip top can that fits in under the stove top. A plastic foodstore bag fits it, and makes a second use for it.
Here's a pic of a small Rubbermaid cutlery tray... another mod for our 5.0TA. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Attached Thumbnails
P1030835.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 10:42 AM   #3

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
We use a small plastic garbage can with good snap on lid. If we can not empty it when leaving a campsite it travels in the bathroom with broom, outdoor dish tub etc. Bags stored in cubbies. At campsite it is just outside to right of door. If worried about wildlife we bring it in and put it under the table.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 11:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
If there’s a dumpster I usually make a trip before retiring for the evening. That way I don’t have to worry about the raccoons or skunks. We just use a plastic grocery sack in a small wastebasket. Garbage never seems to be much of a problem for us. I’ve seen the larger expandable “spring loaded” cans with a bigger bag in them but I don’t like the trash being out over night and can’t see dumping a half full bag.
Iowa Dave
Old 02-22-2021, 11:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
If there’s a dumpster I usually make a trip before retiring for the evening. That way I don’t have to worry about the raccoons or skunks. We just use a plastic grocery sack in a small wastebasket. Garbage never seems to be much of a problem for us. I’ve seen the larger expandable “spring loaded” cans with a bigger bag in them but I don’t like the trash being out over night and can’t see dumping a half full bag.
Iowa Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Besides which Jihad Jake probably needs the walk!!! "Oh look there's a squirrel"!!! Alf
Old 02-22-2021, 12:11 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Jake

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: Iowa Dave... Besides which Jihad Jake probably needs the walk!!! "Oh look there's a squirrel"!!! Alf
Jakes shoulders are sore. He can’t fit through the gate on the deck and when he spots “Big
Red” on one of bird feeders and I open the sliding glass door he hits the gate pretty hard. Then he bays like a coon dog and waits to see the squirrel up in one of the trees. Then it’s back to front yard surveillance in case the UPS man is bringing me some more fishing tackle or better yet a big box form Chewy.com.
He likes those big black squirrels that run the split rail fence at Riverside. I think his ancestors from Brittany emigrated to Canada some years ago. I had a German shorthair at one time. I could show him a fur stretching board and he’d run off and be back in a while with a critter that would fit the board. One day Rita forgot about him and put an ironing board out on the porch. Buck saw the board, howled three bars of Columbia, Gem of the Pacific and we never saw him again. That’s how I remember it.

Jake and Vera on a cold February afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
8A232233-11D0-4A06-9125-DF63345DA6CC.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 12:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
I have a little plastic swing lid garbage can that sits just inside the shower door.
Before and after the “trailer trash” modification...of course...it had to be done.
Attached Thumbnails
AA903BDD-0BFA-440C-A547-8ED9AFB15820.jpg   A47097D4-9F57-460A-A67E-FDF141C2B562.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I just use a bag outside tied to the rear of the trailer. I have also used one of those cheep round collapsible garbage things ( they zip up )and are light small when collapsible. I have a small one and a large one.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 12:38 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Here's mine. Available everywhere. I made a couple notches in it so I could hang it from 3M Command hooks. Keep spare Kitchen Catchers in the bottom of the can under the bag in use.
I can hang it from the door in my classic 17B so it is handy inside or out and not in the way when the door is closed. Those with the new door have to find their own solution.
Attached Thumbnails
door gasket and trash.jpg   Trash can.png   Trash 2.jpg  
Old 02-22-2021, 01:48 PM   #10

Trailer: 2007 Escape 17B (sold); Currently 2013 19
We put 2 command hooks on the entry wall just to the left of our 19, and then hang grocery bags or other small garbage bag. It's unobtrusive, easy to put stuff in when prepping in the kitchen, and can be accessed easily from outside.
lorrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 01:58 PM   #11

Say what?

Hi: Eggscape... In our case it'd have to say "White trailer trash"!!! Alf
Old 02-22-2021, 02:06 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I don't like to see garbage in garbage cans. Gross. And don't want it just sitting around, even with a lid. I bought a 6qt. Rubbermaid 'vanity' can. It's stored in the bottom cabinet of the kitchen. Works fine for me, a usually get rid of the 'bag' at the end of the day. Nice to go to a walk! Paid less than $10 at the local hardware store. Often while I'm fixing food, I'll use the flip up shelf next to the kitchen counter and sit it there. Easy to reach and not dribbling wet stuff all over. Easy/peasy.
Attached Thumbnails
GarbageCan.jpg  
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2021, 02:16 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Don’t have an Escape yet, but have always done something similar to Donna in all of the previous RV’s.
Old 02-22-2021, 06:51 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Like Alf, we also use an IKEA flip top wastebasket. It is a perfect size to accept the plastic bags used in grocery stores throughout the US except on the west coast. When traveling, it is in the bathroom. When set up, we place it on the second step to the 5.0TAs sleeping loft on the side by the door where the first step is cut off at an angle. When backing down the steps at night, if a foot contacts it, we know we are in danger of “missing” the bottom step.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:42 AM   #15

Trailer: 2020 21NE
Gbaglo—I love that. Looks like our kitchen compost bin!

I love all the other ideas, as well! I knew you all were a creative, enterprising bunch!

We have the puppy �� with us and we’re camping in some places that are picky about rv trash so the variety of ideas really helps!

Thank you,
TM
TravelMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2021, 12:11 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My solution probably wouldn't pass most wives, but it works for me, at least until all the stores stop supplying plastic shopping bags:
Attached Thumbnails
JON_1204.jpg   JON_1203.jpg