!2 volt outlets 17B - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-23-2014, 05:00 PM   #1

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
!2 volt outlets 17B

My 2008 17b has no 12 volt outlets but I will be installing 2 or more shortly. Where in your experience is the best place to have them or perhaps another question might be where would you prefer them to be (if current locations are not working out)? I was thinking of installing one outside for the solar panel but will likely just plug it into the TV plug instead.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I have one on the side of the wardrobe, seat side, near the wall. That location is especially useful because chargers, docks etc can sit on top of the wardrobe.
The other one is next to the propane detector, under double bed / dinette.
I was going to have one installed outside, under the awning, but I've bought 12V extension cords and splitters, instead. I just run the cord out the door or a window.
If I was to have another inside, it would be under the counter extension, next to the sink.
Old 04-23-2014, 08:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2008 Bigfoot 25B17.5G
Our used 2006 17B came with one next to the sink on the bed side, which I think is standard now but must have been an extra at the time. We went to the factory and got another one installed on the side of the wardrobe towards the seat just like gbaglo mentions, and that one is definitely in use more often, though we do use the one right next to the bed at night if we need to recharge our phones. The place I kind of wish we'd put one (in addition, not instead of) is on one end of the very shallow shelf on the front of the trailer above the window; that spot is so narrow it's not good for much but would be perfect for phones to live while charging. The way it is now our phones compete with other things sitting on top the wardrobe, it would be less cluttered if they were on the narrow shelf. That said, if you put one in one of the upper cabinets so it pointed into the shelf, it would eat up a little bit of cabinet space which may or may not bother you.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My 2011 17B came with 3 12V outlets. I'm not sure which was the standard location, but the locations are near the floor on the passenger side seat of 4 person dinette, near the floor on the passenger side seat of the 2 person dinette, and on the right side of the front driver's side upper storage cabinet. That one is used to power my cell phone amplifier.

After using the trailer for a season, I added 2 more - like gbaglo, I added one on the seat side of the wardrobe cabinet next to the 120V receptacle located there. I use it to power various chargers. The other addition is to power my iPod deck when I do't have hookups. It is on the dinette side of the sink cabinet next to the 120V GFI receptacle (which I changed to a quad box with 4 receptacles).
Old 04-23-2014, 10:03 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Jon, where are you sourcing your 12V power from when you add these additional outlets? Existing light fixtures or running new, dedicated lines back to the panel? Thanks!
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2014, 11:16 PM   #6

Some of each. The one on the wardrobe closet is paralleled with the one below it on the front dinette. The one on the sink wall is run home. Not sure how the rest are run since they were installed by Escape.
Old 04-24-2014, 09:19 PM   #7

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Thanks for the input guys. I had not thought of the one on the shelf above the window. That one really makes sense.
Probably end up with 3, one on the upper shelf, one on the wardrobe by the front dinette, and one below the folding shelf next to the kitchen.
The one on the shelf would probably be a preferred use as it is out of the way and would be good for cell phones, etc. I tend to use the wardrobe for charging my laptop and can charge what ever off of it at the same time. The one by the sink might only be occasional use as that area tends to get a little busy....
How about one on the outside...?
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
The other addition is to power my iPod deck when I do't have hookups. It is on the dinette side of the sink cabinet next to the 120V GFI receptacle (which I changed to a quad box with 4 receptacles).
I am looking at doing something similar. Did you remove the existing single box and replace with a double box? I am thinking of doing that and installing the Magnadyne WC-12V beside the existing 120V GFI outlet. I would use a double cover plate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
After using the trailer for a season, I added 2 more - like gbaglo, I added one on the seat side of the wardrobe cabinet next to the 120V receptacle located there. I use it to power various chargers.
I am adding one here as well. I think it will be the most useful location in the 17B for the way we use it.
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 04:59 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I am looking at doing something similar. Did you remove the existing single box and replace with a double box? I am thinking of doing that and installing the Magnadyne WC-12V beside the existing 120V GFI outlet. I would use a double cover plate.

I am adding one here as well. I think it will be the most useful location in the 17B for the way we use it.
Yes - I switched to a double plastic box. In my case I kept the GFCI receptacle wired to the 120V trailer system on one side, and the second receptacle was connected to an added 1000 watt inverter for dry camping.

The 12V receptacles were all Blue Skies receptacles.