21' electric jack - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-21-2017, 07:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
21' electric jack

We are having an electric jack put on. Did others use the front trailer cord? How is this done? Do we need to know anything in particular?
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2017, 07:26 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
In the 19 you have access to the battery inside the box, in the 21, your umbilical cord is the direct connection to your battery in the rear of the trailer.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:43 PM   #3

Could someone tell me how they wired their 21' tongue jack and the possibilities, please? I know that not everyone has wired them the same. Thank you.
Old 11-21-2017, 11:57 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Could someone tell me how they wired their 21' tongue jack and the possibilities, please? I know that not everyone has wired them the same. Thank you.
Cathy, the easiest way to wire the jack on a 21 is to tie it in to the electrical box located under the frame, on the driver's side about 3 feet back from the hitch. It's a plastic box, about 3x5.

Take the cover off and you'll notice several screws of different colors (these are the connections for the 7-pin umbilical by the way). Find the black screw with the red wire coming from it. That's 12V positive. Connect the power jack wire to that (easiest way is to crimp a spade terminal on the jack wire) and close it up. You're done.

Oh, and I recommend you disconnect your battery terminals first, do the wiring, then reconnect the batteries.
Old 11-22-2017, 01:38 AM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Cathy, the easiest way to wire the jack on a 21 is to tie it in to the electrical box located under the frame, on the driver's side about 3 feet back from the hitch. It's a plastic box, about 3x5.

Take the cover off and you'll notice several screws of different colors (these are the connections for the 7-pin umbilical by the way). Find the black screw with the red wire coming from it. That's 12V positive. Connect the power jack wire to that (easiest way is to crimp a spade terminal on the jack wire) and close it up. You're done.

Oh, and I recommend you disconnect your battery terminals first, do the wiring, then reconnect the batteries.

When my second 7pin plug gets some road rash, I'll be doing that.

Thanks.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 01:50 AM   #6

Quote:

Thank you! I was thinking that someone did theirs a different way but I don't know how.

I also know that some people have it fixed so that when the battery master switch is off, so is the jack but others have the jack still working.
Old 11-22-2017, 08:55 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you! I was thinking that someone did theirs a different way but I don't know how.

I also know that some people have it fixed so that when the battery master switch is off, so is the jack but others have the jack still working.
I've seen it done a couple different ways, but this is the easiest in my opinion. I don't think I would worry about having it wired to cut off with the battery isolator switch.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:25 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
Elec/Jack E Up

I have a Jack E Up on my current manual jack. I was planning to change to an electric jack. I was thinking about using a vehicle side 7 pin connector with a fuse to pick up power for the elec. jack. When you need to use the jack just plug in your trailer 7 pin connector. You won't be using the jack while towing, this should even work with a fixed mount jack and not require running any wires on the trailer. Have not done it yet just in the planning stage. Anyone see any issues?
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:28 AM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I have a Jack E Up on my current manual jack. I was planning to change to an electric jack. I was thinking about using a vehicle side 7 pin connector with a fuse to pick up power for the elec. jack. When you need to use the jack just plug in your trailer 7 pin connector. You won't be using the jack while towing, this should even work with a fixed mount jack and not require running any wires on the trailer. Have not done it yet just in the planning stage. Anyone see any issues?
Eddie
Eddie, they do make power jacks with a 7 pin cord/plug instead of being hardwired. Sounds like that might be a suitable application for you.
Attached Thumbnails
power jack with 7 pin.JPG  
Old 11-22-2017, 09:38 AM   #10

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
For reference this thread that was started by Robert has a lot of good info on power options for a front jack. I agree the easiest and cleanest is what was already described here and Steve confirms in the last post on this thread:

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...tion-5857.html
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 09:43 AM   #11

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by elongest View Post
I was thinking about using a vehicle side 7 pin connector with a fuse to pick up power for the elec. jack. When you need to use the jack just plug in your trailer 7 pin connector. You won't be using the jack while towing, this should even work with a fixed mount jack and not require running any wires on the trailer.
Quote:
Eddie, they do make power jacks with a 7 pin cord/plug instead of being hardwired. Sounds like that might be a suitable application for you.
The jack that Robert has shown is expected to be plugged into the vehicle 7 pin receptacle. For greater versatility it would be best to be able to plug it into the trailer umbilical with power provided from the onboard battery. This would require a female end on the jack like I think elongest is describing.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:35 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Just got a message from Cathy . On the 21 with foam can someone help ?She is having trouble finding the little black box . She also is having trouble getting on the forum to ask . Can someone help maybe pictures ? This is on a Classic 21 .Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 10:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
On my 17 and 19 if I recall the junction box Robert is referring to is inside the trailer in the drivers side bench. But I’m not sure on a 21.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:02 AM   #14

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
On my 17 and 19 if I recall the junction box is inside the trailer in the drivers side bench. But I’m not sure on a 21.
Thankyou Greg she just said they found it , inside the trailer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 11:09 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
On my 17 and 19 if I recall the junction box Robert is referring to is inside the trailer in the drivers side bench. But I’m not sure on a 21.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thankyou Greg she just said they found it , inside the trailer . Pat
Sounds like they changed the location of the box, as others have found it on the frame?
Old 11-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape 21 'Toto'
Quote:
Sounds like they changed the location of the box, as others have found it on the frame?
Ours (2014 Classic 21) is inside the trailer, under the bed. So we wired the jack to a female 7-pin connector, then mounted that connector underneath the propane cylinder pan. We get power from the trailer's (male) 7-pin connector.

We have never once needed to use the jack while driving so it has worked out fine.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:31 AM   #17

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
caution: if your tow vehicle has a lift up rear gate, be sure that the gate will open past the electric jack, OR that you don't care about back access while hitched. don't ask me how i know.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:38 AM   #18

We now have an electric jack! Guys at the RV shop looked forever to find the box. We have foam. They finally found it inside near head of the bed. I could not get on the forum to ask about it. Tried many times. ETI was closed because of time difference.

Our other jack was ruined. Apparently went bad from being on a number of unlevel sites and cranking to the top. The threads grind themselves up. We could barely get on or off the ball with full body weight on the crank even when on concrete. Anyway, we now have a jack and not too soon!
Old 11-22-2017, 11:41 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpaddle View Post
Ours (2014 Classic 21) is inside the trailer, under the bed. So we wired the jack to a female 7-pin connector, then mounted that connector underneath the propane cylinder pan. We get power from the trailer's (male) 7-pin connector.

We have never once needed to use the jack while driving so it has worked out fine.
Thank you! They finally found the box inside! I don't know if they wired it as you did or some other way.
Old 11-22-2017, 11:42 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
They finally found it inside near head of the bed.
Good to hear. Actually I like that location vs on the frame, since the electrical connections are out of the weather.