21NE Dinette Mod - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2020, 05:32 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
My cushions are stock from the factory. I cut 2 pieces of 1x4 for the cross members and used the corner cushions as filler. so the dimensions are what they are stock. I highly recommend having the rear cushions cut in half, both top and bottom for ease of use as well as cutting the access panel in half underneath. This can be done at Escape or locally which I did. Please note the earlier pictures were from my 2014, these are current in my 2019 E21.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1593.jpg   IMG_1594.jpg   IMG_1595.jpg   IMG_1596.jpg  
Old 10-21-2020, 06:23 PM   #22

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thanks for your prompt response. I was interested extension boards and cushions in your older trailer .
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 06:28 PM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatboatz3 View Post
Thanks for your prompt response. I was interested extension boards and cushions in your older trailer .
Nothing really changed from 2014 to 2019 with the "U" dinette and each dinette has it's own dimension within an inch or two, that is what happens when things are man made vs machine made.
Old 10-21-2020, 07:00 PM   #24

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
I'm hoping to use the Lagun Mount and I hope you can help me by answering 4 questions:
1. Did you increase the seat depth from 18 to 22 inches to allow for thicker
cushions?
2. What is the dimension of the depth of your seat, with the extension board in place, from the Face of the Seat Back to the forward edge of your extension?
3. Do feel that depth is adequate for lounging or should it be greater or
smaller?
4. Do you, when converting to a bed do you remove the extension board and
cushion(s) and are you then able to use the table top as the filler?
I assume the extension board is not used when dining.

Thank you in advance for helping me resolve this issue.
I do not have a Lagun mount for my U shaped dinette, or any mount at all, for that matter, but I did get a filler cushion to extend the seat 6" to make it 24" deep like the sides. Escape was happy to make the filler cushion, but they would not make a support board for it. I was told that they will not cut a support board any less than 12" wide because they don't believe it will support the weight of occupants. I think they are concerned that someone may use it somewhere other than next to the seat where it is intended. I have to cut my own board (and maybe add a strongback). That is why several people have filler cushions that are 12" wide.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2020, 10:22 PM   #25

Trailer: 2023 Escape 21C
Thanks Sherminator,
That makes sense about why ETI will not rip the board to less than 12". I spoke with a sales person today and the impression I got was that ripping a board was more of a logistic problem. In fact my Casita uses the table top with a approx 10" wide board to support the bed. When I made the bed I would but the table top against the back wall then use the filler. One time I knelt on the filler to get in bed and cracked it. It now goes on first against the back wall. My problem is trying to design something not knowing any of the dimensions I'm dealing with. I did get to spend an hour visiting an E21C but I didn't give enough time to the dinette area. I did notice the seatback cushions were 2" thick and uncomfortable. I think having the lounge area is extremely important and wanting to be able to order the exact dimensions seemed so important. I guess I will order the rear seat 22" wide with 4" thick cushions, a 12" filler board and 12" wide cushion. that will make the seat from the seatback out 30". If I find that 30" is too wide to be comfortable I will have the cushion altered, rip the filler board and add a strong back as you suggest.
Thanks
Greatboatz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 06:38 PM   #26

Trailer: 2021 21NE F2
Thank You Sherminator for the information! We have a 21 NE on order for next year and are seriously considering following your lead and having the permanent bed replaced with the straight dinette, so that we have flexibility in which end we sleep.
mfschu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 02:52 PM   #27

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Hello cpaharley2008,

1. Did you increase the seat depth from 18 to 22 inches to allow for thicker
cushions?
Greatboatz3, be mindful that the wider you make your back bench the less floor space you will have for your feet, this may be a non-issue for the 21NE, I believe the side benches are much longer than in my 5.0 TA.
Old 10-25-2020, 06:33 PM   #28

Trailer: 2020 21NE - dual dinettes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
Greatboatz3, be mindful that the wider you make your back bench the less floor space you will have for your feet, this may be a non-issue for the 21NE, I believe the side benches are much longer than in my 5.0 TA.
~11” longer.
sherminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:39 AM   #29

Trailer: 2015 Shasta Airflyte
For any of those that were interested in feasibility of my original post:
Installing a traditional dinette and removing the U shaped dinette in a 21NE, I stumbled upon this at around the 51:36 mark, where Karl notes the traditional dinette as a requestable option in the 21NE. With that said, there's lots of commentary about requests littered throughout this video. Anyway, enjoy!
Stopgowalkon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 05:12 PM   #30

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21NE
Yesterday, I confirmed via email with Escape Sales that a traditional dinette is a no-cost option in the 21NE ...great news for those of us with 2-3 kids who need lots of table and leg space!
MrsWeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 09:02 AM   #31

MrsWeld, that is great news! Did you receive any further detail on size of table and standard supports? I'm thinking they might just throw in the table from a standard 19, but hoping they could make a table to fill up the space a bit more (56-60").
Old 11-25-2020, 02:54 PM   #32

Trailer: Escape 21C -2020 and 2003 Aliner
Hey Gary-- that is exactly my plan for my 21 C -- the folding legs-- had ETI make a template of where the normally mounted floor holder go and ship loose in case i want to install -- the idea is to make like yours with folding legs and also cut the back of the table and hinge it so it will fold .... i ordered two cushions and cabinet wood to make two movable boxes in lieu of the u shape dinette... these will serve as extra seating should i chose too -- also both table and cubes can be moved outside for dining..... FYI
quidoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 04:59 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by quidoi View Post
Hey Gary-- that is exactly my plan for my 21 C -- the folding legs-- had ETI make a template of where the normally mounted floor holder go and ship loose in case i want to install -- the idea is to make like yours with folding legs and also cut the back of the table and hinge it so it will fold .... i ordered two cushions and cabinet wood to make two movable boxes in lieu of the u shape dinette... these will serve as extra seating should i chose too -- also both table and cubes can be moved outside for dining..... FYI
I did make a hinged table top for my Scamp 13, the front half folded back onto the rear half. But I'm thinking that you have something else in mind? Are you thinking of having sort of a drop leaf table set-up, with the front part of the table vertical when you want a more open space?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2020, 07:11 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I did make a hinged table top for my Scamp 13, the front half folded back onto the rear half. But I'm thinking that you have something else in mind? Are you thinking of having sort of a drop leaf table set-up, with the front part of the table vertical when you want a more open space?

Ron
Hey Ron-- my original plan is to slice towards the back and hinge it so i can fold under and allow space creating my own u shaped dinette created by my two cubes i will build -- i understand if you don't order the u shape dinette that the table is longer...this might all change after i actually have the trailer-- i might consider cutting the front as well -- depends... thanx-- no dropleaf-- just cutting either end and attaching back on with piano hinge... i like the flexibility of my cubes-- moveable as well as for storage.... the two cushion i think are costing me 35 bucks and the matching wood for the front of the cubes they is free-- also ordered additional flooring for future patching or whatever....
Old 11-25-2020, 09:29 PM   #35

Quote:
- i understand if you don't order the u shape dinette that the table is longer....
Yes, I guess now that the "U" has become so popular we'll have to call the non-"U" straight bench "the classic dinette".

The bench is 48" and the table top is 46", so it's not touching the wall when in the down position.

OK, sounds like some original thinking going on, it'll be interesting to see what you come up with.

Ron
Old 11-25-2020, 09:36 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Hey Ron-- also ordered additional flooring for future patching or whatever....
Are you getting stock flooring? Am looking to replace mine that was pretty beat after 3 years- forget patching. Our 2010 17B had superior flooring compared to this and regret not buying the best available at Pioneer in Chilliwack.
Old 11-25-2020, 09:41 PM   #37

Thanks will keep you updated. I like the idea of options. And can haul it outside for dining table and cubes for seats
Old 11-26-2020, 09:45 AM   #38

Throwing some more modularity into the conversation mix, since it's fun to think about how to maximize your options while retaining your primary use, here's what I'm thinking could work for our family:
- Request the "traditional" dinette
- Request 2 identically-sized tables that would fill out the same footprint of a single table in that configuration
- Support each table with Springfield pedestal (if standard poles not sufficiently sturdy)
- Request cushion sized to a single table
When the custom cushion not utilized, we could store it under the bed or use it as a dog bed. That would give us the benefits of a full table with ample seating, lounge setup for games / movies, easy teardown at night for the kids' bed, and maybe more if keeping the inside table up with the cushion towards the front has benefit.
Old 11-26-2020, 10:24 AM   #39

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I asked for a second dinette in the front of my 17A and had the table cut at 30" and 22" so I could have a twin bed and use the extra piece if one of the grands was with me. There was an extra charge, I can't remember how much. The 22 inch piece has no cut corners. It also serves as a counter over the whole area edge of sink to wardrobe wall with some supports to keep it off the burners.

Two springfields will take up a lot of room underneath and might be pretty awkward to raise, lower the back one. The more experienced folks here might weigh in. You might think about one springfield (either front or back, there are advantages to each) and the standard pole for the second. Standard at the back would leave more open area to access electronics etc if they are in the driver's side back bench. Springfield at the back would leave more leg room at the front. Seems to me I recall that springfield or some company makes a floor mount that is pretty close to flush for a pole.
Old 11-26-2020, 11:15 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stopgowalkon View Post
- Request 2 identically-sized tables that would fill out the same footprint of a single table in that configuration
- Support each table with Springfield pedestal (if standard poles not sufficiently sturdy)
If I understand you correctly you're considering asking for a standard table to be cut in half. Then support each half with a Sprindfield pedestal.

A couple of negatives doing that. One, the sliders, not sure if that would work. Two, double Springfields. As much as I'm a fan of them and I'd rather have one Springfield than two ETI poles, double Springfields would take up a lot of foot room.

Ron