21NE Mattress Size and Source for Latex Replacement? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2022, 04:11 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 21 NE
21NE Mattress Size and Source for Latex Replacement?

Can someone tell me what the mattress size is on the 21NE? I'd like to shop for a replacement. My wife and I sleep on a tempurpedic at home and our older son uses a latex mattress. I'd rather not buy something very heavy and was considering latex. I find the boxspring stock mattress to be very uncomfortable.
Any suggestions/advice? I'm not interested in a topper, but a replacement. Thanks!
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2022, 05:27 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L in NV View Post
Can someone tell me what the mattress size is on the 21NE? I'd like to shop for a replacement. My wife and I sleep on a tempurpedic at home and our older son uses a latex mattress. I'd rather not buy something very heavy and was considering latex. I find the boxspring stock mattress to be very uncomfortable.
Any suggestions/advice? I'm not interested in a topper, but a replacement. Thanks!
After 3 years the ETI installed mattress was failing for me. We installed a 100% organic latex mattress from Minnesota Mattress Factory in Kenyon, Minnesota. It's a small company, but was half the price of other, larger companies. Latex mattresses are not cheap, nor are they light, but ours is only 7" thick, so weighs slightly over 100 pounds. A normal latex mattress can easily weigh 160 pounds. We've currently have about 50 nights sleeping on our new mattress and we're in heaven!

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 03-02-2022, 12:08 PM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Quote:
Quote:
The Escape 21NE is a light and easily towed trailer with an open design including a large six-person U-shaped dinette in the front and a 60×80 Queen bed in the rear.
I didn't measure one, but that's what the Escape website says. I'd verify the dimensions before ordering anything.

We bought a custom-shape three-layer foam mattress for our Casita from MattressInsider.com. We were satisfied with the price, service and quality.

They have a variety of products including inner-spring and can apparently produce and deliver just about anything you can imagine.
Old 03-02-2022, 03:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Ours measures 60x80 and Queen sheets fit perfect.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2022, 03:13 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 21 NE
Thanks for all the responses. This is helpful!
L in NV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:37 AM   #6

The thing about my 2021 21NE mattress is that the 2 back corners have a larger radius than the 2 front corners. This means that the mattress can only be oriented one way. And, it can not be flipped because the fabric on the bottom is not the same as the rest of the fabric. The bottom fabric picks up slivers from the unfinished plywood platform. I filled, sanded and varnished the plywood to stop the slivers issue.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 09:52 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
The thing about my 2021 21NE mattress is that the 2 back corners have a larger radius than the 2 front corners. This means that the mattress can only be oriented one way. And, it can not be flipped because the fabric on the bottom is not the same as the rest of the fabric. The bottom fabric picks up slivers from the unfinished plywood platform. I filled, sanded and varnished the plywood to stop the slivers issue.
Hmm, that is interesting. We took our mattress out to do some under bed modifications. True it is not a flippable mattress, many mattresses aren't these days. More money for the mattress companies ;-) I'll have to see how it goes back in. Also, we put an underlayment to allow air flow under the mattress, so there are no wood slivers in the mattress.
kathytony1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2022, 12:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 2018,5.0 TA
Our bed at home has a latex mattress made by Arizona Mattress Co, It's very comfortable. They were more affordable than other latex mattresses that we looked at at the time. http://arizonamattress.com/ They make custom mattresses for RVs and boats.
If /when we ever use our Escape for longer periods of time we will get one made for our 5.0. We ditched the spring mattress and are sleeping on a 5" thick custom cut piece of medium firm foam with a 100% wool topper.
DanandDaphne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 05:16 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
We have been using SleepEZ for latex. Great company and good people to work with. There are options to custom make a latex mattress to suit your needs or buy a latex mattress ready to go.

The custom mattresses are built in layers with each layer having many choices of firmness or softness. You can swap layers until the mattress is perfect. If your needs ever change, you don't have to get a new mattress. You can just buy a new layer to make it softer or firmer, whatever the case may be, so generally this is the last mattress you need to buy.

For our new 5.0 we brought SleepEZ Roma latex mattress. It was the perfect size for the 5.0. It has a softer side and a firmer side, so we can just flip it to our comfort needs. The firm side works very well for us.

https://sleepez.com/pages/compare-our-mattresses
Jack! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2022, 07:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack! View Post
We have been using SleepEZ for latex. Great company and good people to work with. There are options to custom make a latex mattress to suit your needs or buy a latex mattress ready to go.

The custom mattresses are built in layers with each layer having many choices of firmness or softness. You can swap layers until the mattress is perfect. If your needs ever change, you don't have to get a new mattress. You can just buy a new layer to make it softer or firmer, whatever the case may be, so generally this is the last mattress you need to buy.

For our new 5.0 we brought SleepEZ Roma latex mattress. It was the perfect size for the 5.0. It has a softer side and a firmer side, so we can just flip it to our comfort needs. The firm side works very well for us.

https://sleepez.com/pages/compare-our-mattresses
Did you buy a short queen or did you smash your mattress into the space?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 03-06-2022, 11:16 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry Butler View Post
Did you buy a short queen or did you smash your mattress into the space?

Thanks,

Perry
We got a 80x60 Queen which fits perfectly. Although it takes a bit of muscling & bending to get it fully up the steps. Latex is easier to bend than a coil foam mattress so that helps. If it was one of the buildable layered mattresses, it could be built in place, layer by layer. That's the easiest method, but we got the Roma.
Old 03-07-2022, 10:15 AM   #12

Quote:
We got a 80x60 Queen which fits perfectly. Although it takes a bit of muscling & bending to get it fully up the steps. Latex is easier to bend than a coil foam mattress so that helps. If it was one of the buildable layered mattresses, it could be built in place, layer by layer. That's the easiest method, but we got the Roma.
The front of the head wall is 78.5" at it's maximum at the top and down to 76" at the floor to the two foot walls. The Escape provided mattress is 78" long on top and 76" on the carpet side, so moisture can escape. The fiberglass with insulation is 79" at it's longest point from the foot walls about 4" up from the 75" floor. You can read my A Standard 80" Queen Will NOT Fit In Our 5.0 thread I posted last November.

We've had moisture from our breathing at night condense on the head wall and then run down that angled wall to the carpet on cold nights camping in higher humidity. Like Escape, we wanted a gap so moisture could evaporate.

A 80" latex mattress will fit because you can compress the latex, but then where will the moisture we've experienced go? Answer: it will be absorbed by the quilt cover and eventually by the latex. If you don't camp in <40F weather it shouldn't be a problem, but it's already happened a couple of times on this trip to the SW we are currently enjoying. I just mop the moisture up with a towel.

We had a short queen (75" x 60") made for us (could have been 76"). We lost three inches on the top of the mattress vs the Escape provided mattress, but because of the moisture issues did not want that mattress to be up against the head wall.

Food for thought,

Perry
Old 03-07-2022, 02:47 PM   #13

Quote:
The front of the head wall is 78.5" at it's maximum at the top and down to 76" at the floor to the two foot walls. The Escape provided mattress is 78" long on top and 76" on the carpet side, so moisture can escape. The fiberglass with insulation is 79" at it's longest point from the foot walls about 4" up from the 75" floor. You can read my A Standard 80" Queen Will NOT Fit In Our 5.0 thread I posted last November.

We've had moisture from our breathing at night condense on the head wall and then run down that angled wall to the carpet on cold nights camping in higher humidity. Like Escape, we wanted a gap so moisture could evaporate.

A 80" latex mattress will fit because you can compress the latex, but then where will the moisture we've experienced go? Answer: it will be absorbed by the quilt cover and eventually by the latex. If you don't camp in <40F weather it shouldn't be a problem, but it's already happened a couple of times on this trip to the SW we are currently enjoying. I just mop the moisture up with a towel.

We had a short queen (75" x 60") made for us (could have been 76"). We lost three inches on the top of the mattress vs the Escape provided mattress, but because of the moisture issues did not want that mattress to be up against the head wall.

Food for thought,

Perry
Good info. We are in Florida and haven't run into these kind of problems in previous trailers, yet. Not real concerned as latex is rather easy to change as the need arises. It's real easy to cut the latex to any size or shape you wish. These covers can be opened, latex cut to any size, and restitched. Some covers you can get have a zipper, so the entire top of the mattress cover can be unzipped off giving you full access to the latex. We had to do that with the latex mattress in our Casita, with its curved corners. There is a couple of extra inches to move the mattress down from the top a little bit.

Thanks for the heads-up. Will keep an eye on this one.
Attached Thumbnails
20220307_152036.jpg  
Old 03-07-2022, 02:59 PM   #14

Quote:
Thanks for the heads-up. Will keep an eye on this one.
The picture you attached is the stair/foot end.

You probably realize this, but the head end is the end I'm talking about.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 03-07-2022, 10:47 PM   #15

Quote:
The picture you attached is the stair/foot end.

You probably realize this, but the head end is the end I'm talking about.

Enjoy,

Perry
Understood. We pulled the foot end down the extra of inches which gets a little more room at the top end. Maybe that helps or won't. Overall we just don't see much cold stuff. It's that warm stuff that's our challenge. FL is back in the 90's this week.
Old 03-08-2022, 12:44 PM   #16

Trailer: 2022 21C 'The QShip'
Related question for our 21C build: Does ETI offer different firmness of the standard mattress?
marant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2022, 02:39 PM   #17

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
Quote:
Originally Posted by marant View Post
Related question for our 21C build: Does ETI offer different firmness of the standard mattress?
No. There is no choice of mattresses
Old 03-18-2022, 03:07 PM   #18

Trailer: 2022 21NE
I did a mattress delete and installed a Tuft and Needle Queen mattress. It's a bit of a tight fit but it's very comfortable.
Crazypill is offline   Reply With Quote