5.0 expanded front storage compartment. - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-19-2020, 05:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
5.0 expanded front storage compartment.

I finally got around to doing a mod that I have seen others do ... although I put my own spin on it.

If one removes the side panels inside the main storage compartment in front of the trailer, there is quite a bit of room just crying out to be used. These panels are just held in with a few screws to allow access to the landing gear screws. They can be operated manually via a hand crank if you have zero juice left in your batteries.

Anyway I only did the passenger side for now since I could easily reroute the 1 set of wires in the way without splicing. The drivers side has a slew of wires that would need splicing, extending and rerouting to use that space. A job of another day.

My take was to just build a floor with added 1 X 2's to form a secure spot for a long milk crate. I didn't really want to finish the walls, etc so I made a little door out of the panel that was originally there. I use the crate for back up supples and spare parts, etc. such as a break down snow shovel. The black crate in the main compartment has my hoses, electrical cords, etc that I need each time I set up camp. I'm pretty happy with the extra storage!
Attached Thumbnails
45CAFC88-0C44-41C4-A434-83D4079E71FF.jpg   121EA010-EE80-4471-9E16-19BAE1514393.jpg   105F3605-2267-4AA7-AFA0-8DD84A1E9989.jpg   4CF186B0-07DD-459E-9799-94EA663A4A90.jpg   6013FD50-354E-45AE-8216-2045FB571A2D.jpg  

- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 05:52 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Nice! It's on my to-do list. Sigh. Because I too want more outside storage access for items I don't want inside the trailer, in the bed of the truck or even the cab.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 06:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Nice! It's on my to-do list. Sigh. Because I too want more outside storage access for items I don't want inside the trailer, in the bed of the truck or even the cab.
My approach is a bit easer than some of the others. Since I was not covering the walls, I didn't need to fabricate any support for the exterior wall sheeting. Hence the reason for the door and the frame for the crate to fit in. Nothing is going to slide into the insulation and damage it.

I just used some angle brackets to build a frame supported by a 1 x 2 post fastened to the floor. It was really quite sturdy once I was done. The flooring that the propane tanks sit on in the lower compartment extend the full with of the trailer.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2020, 08:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I just used some angle brackets to build a frame supported by a 1 x 2 post fastened to the floor. It was really quite sturdy once I was done. The flooring that the propane tanks sit on in the lower compartment extend the full with of the trailer.
Great job Arnie, more than one way to skin a cat. Very unique idea with the door!