5.0 storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2020, 01:40 PM   #1

Trailer: None
5.0 storage

We just got home with the 5.0 yesterday, it was a marathon tip to and from ETI. We loved the way it towed and are very impressed with the build quality. Except some crap left between the subfloor and the laminate. Looks like bubbles but it's obviously debris. Anyway, I'm curious to see what other 5.0 owners have done to organize the storage compartment above the propane tanks. I want to put cap cookers, axe, cords, hose and all the tools without it being a mess of stuff sliding around. Is there a way to put some kind of hook system in to hang stuff?

Thanks!
Dan.
DanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Dan, I primarily use that compartment to store set-up supplies like Andersen levelers, “Lego blocks” and X-chocks as well as a hydraulic jack for changing tires and the crank for the stabilizers (I don’t use a drill because I have better “feel” using the hand crank.).
Some use that compartment to store a grill; I carry mine in a closed tote in the back seat of the truck. But back to your question. I have a low tote (with a discarded top) to keep the things organized and not shifting all over the place and a smaller container to hold the Lego blocks.
I’ve never seen anyone do it, but you could probably install a section of pegboard on the back wall of the compartment or mount a piece of plywood and try to find hooks/holders/retainers for the items you are trying to hold in place. Industrial Velcro may work. If it doesn’t stay up, you can always reinforce it with a staple gun, but do not staple anything to the ETI installed walls; they are thin and staples may protrude on the other side.
Old 07-19-2020, 02:30 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
The shelf over the tanks just lifts right out, doesn’t hinder refilling at all.
Added slide outs in cabinets cause so much easier to see what’s in there.
Attached Thumbnails
0B7BEE82-3074-4E8D-8A8E-914BBBC6DC79.jpeg   45C3AA6A-35B5-43CB-B465-7BFC3A6E13E3a.jpeg   6986B1C0-D099-4EA8-8832-B4EC530441C8a.jpeg  
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 03:09 PM   #4

Trailer: None
Top of the propane, didn't think of that.
Thanks!
DanJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 04:33 PM   #5

Misread your post, though you where asking about that. It is convenient for the fresh water hose, table cloths for picnic tables, small tarp, stuff like that. Thought about the power cord but that's a bit expensive to leave in a unlocked compartment.
Old 07-19-2020, 05:15 PM   #6

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
The shelf over the tanks just lifts right out, doesn’t hinder refilling at all.

Added slide outs in cabinets cause so much easier to see what’s in there.
We also have the board on top of the LP tanks that holds a 10', 3', and a 6' hose with a filter for filling.

In the storage area above the LP tanks we store our BioLite FirePit, two burner LP stove, electric cords, two small plastic side tables, fire starters, and other misc. stuff.

We went to the Container Store and purchased a slideout shelf for the area underneath the stovetop, another sliding shelf where the microwave would have gone, and a three drawer sliding shelf underneath the microwave area to replace that single shelf ETI installed there.

I've also removed the top step and put in a piano hinge so there is storage there also. The bottom of that top step easily removes and we hide our portable solar panel underneath.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-19-2020, 05:18 PM   #7

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I segregate my stuff between the various compartments closest to where they will be used. For example, passenger side rear has the pads I sometimes use under the rear stabilizing jacks and the cordless drill I used to raise and lower them. The little compartment on the driver's side where the landing gear switches are, has 3 plastic shoe box sized storage boxes that fit perfectly, each with a different color lid.
  • One holds my in-line fresh water filter, pressure reducing valve, and 90 degree adapter to take the strain off the freshwater fitting.
  • Another holds my rubber gloves, sanitizer, and large channel locks for use while dumping the tanks.
  • Lastly one has various dog bone adapters for the power cord. (30A > 50A; 30A > 15A, etc)

Then for the main compartment that you asked about, I have the rest of the things I want handy access to for setting up and breaking down camp. Power cord, fresh water hoses, fit in a crate, tool box, torque wrench, Support for sewer hose, etc. See the attached picture.

I also made a shelf above my propane tanks where I have wooden blocks for under the landing gear and a spare water filter. I keep my Anderson levelers and wheel chocks in the bed of the truck tucked in and around the Anderson Ultimate hitch frame.

Also note there is a good deal of storage available if you are handy and want to access the space above the landing gear jacks. Various creative solutions are here on the forum. But I would suggest you get some camping days and miles under your belt before tackling that job so you know what your camping style is etc.
Attached Thumbnails
6013FD50-354E-45AE-8216-2045FB571A2D.jpg   54E8596A-F377-445E-AA45-2CBE9A33C55C.jpg   738D9415-C096-4232-A9E3-2D46D457F993.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2020, 09:46 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
I segregate my stuff between the various compartments closest to where they will be used. For example, passenger side rear has the pads I sometimes use under the rear stabilizing jacks and the cordless drill I used to raise and lower them. The little compartment on the driver's side where the landing gear switches are, has 3 plastic shoe box sized storage boxes that fit perfectly, each with a different color lid.
  • One holds my in-line fresh water filter, pressure reducing valve, and 90 degree adapter to take the strain off the freshwater fitting.
  • Another holds my rubber gloves, sanitizer, and large channel locks for use while dumping the tanks.
  • Lastly one has various dog bone adapters for the power cord. (30A > 50A; 30A > 15A, etc)

Then for the main compartment that you asked about, I have the rest of the things I want handy access to for setting up and breaking down camp. Power cord, fresh water hoses, fit in a crate, tool box, torque wrench, Support for sewer hose, etc. See the attached picture.

I also made a shelf above my propane tanks where I have wooden blocks for under the landing gear and a spare water filter. I keep my Anderson levelers and wheel chocks in the bed of the truck tucked in and around the Anderson Ultimate hitch frame.

Also note there is a good deal of storage available if you are handy and want to access the space above the landing gear jacks. Various creative solutions are here on the forum. But I would suggest you get some camping days and miles under your belt before tackling that job so you know what your camping style is etc.
So the shelf is just sitting on top of the propane tanks? Do you have it attached somewhere to keep it from sliding? Thanks.
Old 07-19-2020, 11:31 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
So the shelf is just sitting on top of the propane tanks? Do you have it attached somewhere to keep it from sliding? Thanks.
If you look carefully there is a screw just in front of the right side of the shelf. (Same on the left out of view.) I can lift the empty shelf out above the retaining screws to service the propane tanks. The shelf also has a lip on it to keep the blocks in place.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 07-20-2020, 07:29 AM   #10

[QUOTE=Carmel Clown;345057]So the shelf is just sitting on top of the propane tanks? Do you have it attached somewhere to keep it from sliding? Thanks.[/QUOTE

My shelf sits on top of tanks, there are 2 plywood discs that are screwed into bottom. The discs where cut with a slight interference fit to the tanks. Take stuff off shelf give it a little tap from underneath, it’s out.
Attached Thumbnails
FF08D63E-A42B-4417-AD91-F18586F5EEFE.jpeg  
Old 07-20-2020, 10:15 AM   #11

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
[QUOTE=Chotch;345116]
Quote:
So the shelf is just sitting on top of the propane tanks? Do you have it attached somewhere to keep it from sliding? Thanks.[/QUOTE

My shelf sits on top of tanks, there are 2 plywood discs that are screwed into bottom. The discs where cut with a slight interference fit to the tanks. Take stuff off shelf give it a little tap from underneath, it’s out.

Ditto. I do like the idea of putting a small rim around the shelf, stuff slides around some.
Old 07-20-2020, 11:17 AM   #12

[QUOTE=Chotch;345116]
Quote:
So the shelf is just sitting on top of the propane tanks? Do you have it attached somewhere to keep it from sliding? Thanks.[/QUOTE

I like that better than my retaining screws!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 07-20-2020, 11:30 AM   #13

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
5.0 Storage

Looking for ideas to improve storage in the abyss under entryway counter? As is it’s pretty worthless for storing much of anything. Any ideas or pics of what you’ve done?
Attached Thumbnails
BD84CB4B-5CDF-49EA-A496-9128B7CAD401.jpg  
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 12:17 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ritacasita View Post
Looking for ideas to improve storage in the abyss under entryway counter? As is it’s pretty worthless for storing much of anything. Any ideas or pics of what you’ve done?
People have put in shelves for shoes, plastic bins for trash or recycling, pet food etc.
On our 5.0TA it didn’t have inside access to that area, just an outside hatch which we use as a clothes hamper. Found it holds about weeks worth for the 2 of us easily. No such thing as worthless space, just need more imagination 😎
Old 07-20-2020, 12:34 PM   #15

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Quote:
Our board just sits on top of the tanks. The threaded post for the tank lockdown is slightly higher (1/4") than the tanks so the board rotates on that, but after 23,000 miles all is well. Perhaps someday I'll take a drill and put a 1/2" hole where it sits on the threaded post, but that's way down on the honey-do list.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 07-20-2020, 01:53 PM   #16

Quote:
We have our trash can in there, a hook to hold a grocery bag for recycling, and a Stainless Steel compost bucket for the garden when we return home. We also have a plastic shoebox size storage bin under the compost bucket to elevate it and to store misc. command hooks, etc. that we rarely use. (When we first had the trailer we were always finding a place for a new hook so we had a stash on hand.)
- Bremerton, WA
Old 07-20-2020, 03:35 PM   #17

On the Inside of the door we have 3M Command hooks for our phone chargers and a tape measure.
On the left wall we have a Pop A Bag holder for plastic shopping bags
On the back wall we have a Telescopic Broom which we have found good quality and works very well (no more stooping).
On the floor we have a folding step and a small trash can.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 07-29-2020, 05:52 PM   #18

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA pulled by Ram 3500 diesel dually
Quote:
I'm currently using that space to hold plastic "shoe box" sized containers for modification supplies. It could easily be other stuff in those boxes and I expect my trash can to end up there instead of on the steps.
Old 07-29-2020, 08:47 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Quote:
People have put in shelves for shoes, plastic bins for trash or recycling, pet food etc.
On our 5.0TA it didn’t have inside access to that area, just an outside hatch which we use as a clothes hamper. Found it holds about weeks worth for the 2 of us easily. No such thing as worthless space, just need more imagination.
Having a “classic” 5.0TA, we too did not have inside access to that area. And while I also wouldn’t call it worthless space, I might call it inefficient. What I did was make it into my warehouse of supplies I hope I never need, such as a set of greased wheel bearings, races, and a seal, a replacement propane regulator and pigtails, replacement anode and electric element for water heater, a quartz heater in case my current one fails, a manometer, and essentially a few other replacement items. It’s likely the thing I will need first is at the bottom (Murphy’s law), but as I said, replacement parts I don’t want to be without but hope I never need. And the space is filled to the brim.
Old 07-29-2020, 09:14 PM   #20

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
You guys misread my post. I said “as is” its pretty worthless. 😀 I’m in process of building shelves in there. Will post pics when complete.
2019 Tundra Crew Max TV
ritacasita is offline   Reply With Quote