5.0 TA Expanded Storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2020, 07:35 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
5.0 TA Expanded Storage

When I was redoing the steps in the 5.0 TA I had to remove the panel in the storage to put in some screw blocks. Wow there is a lot of room. So after seeing what others have done In decided to tackle this project.
My design goals were:
Easy to construct
Light
Flat storage all the way across.
I did only the passenger side but can do drivers side when I need it. As others have said drivers side has much more wiring to extend out of the way. My trailer also has the outside shower in this area.
I built a frame work out of 3/4 x 1 1/2 pine with a center spacer of 3/4 plywood. Then a 1/2 inch piece of plywood for the floor. The frame is lined with 1/4 plywood to make a pocket for the 1/2 plywood floor.
The frame slips under the floor of the storage compartment and is screwed from the top. It is also screwed to the studs on the bulkhead.
I finished the compartment with reflictex insulation ( that stuff is expensive ). I also added rigid foam insulation on the bulkhead.
Finally I finished the floor with stick on vinyl flooring.
Very pleased with all the useable space.
Attached Thumbnails
20200501_125937.jpg   20200501_131149.jpg   20200501_140550.jpg   20200501_174113.jpg   20200503_162532.jpg  

rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:24 PM   #2

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Nice craftsmanship and excellent execution! Nice! I like how you made a parameter edge to keep things from sliding into the shell on the front and side.

One suggestion: why not add some eye hooks to the framing for tie off points to secure things from sliding side to side? That beautiful vinyl flooring looks like things could slide easily.

(But then maybe you don't go on BLM dirt roads with ruts and divots like I do that cause the trailer to heave side to side!)
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2020, 08:56 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Very nicely done!
🤔Think I’ll go take a look at mine in the am.
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 05:22 AM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
In looking at the pictures, I think I am seeing that this is a “side extension” of the front storage cabinet that is above the propane compartment on the 5.0TA?

One caution I would bring up, and it is due to a remote condition that may never come up but I know it happened at least once because an acquaintance of mine picked up his 5.0TA late in the day and the landing gear would not function. Because the “electrical guru” had already left for the day, he and Reace worked for several hours into the evening trying to troubleshoot the problem. It turned out to be the ground was loose and the connection is to a screw or bolt on the top of the landing gear (jack). Reace had to tighten the connection by feel reaching up from below. If flooring the area above the jacks for added storage, it might be prudent to insure that the wire connections can be easily accessed should anything come loose or if the jack should ever need to be replaced. I personally have had no problems with the landing gear nor have I heard of anyone other than this one friend having issues, but it is something to store in one’s memory bank.
Old 05-04-2020, 06:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
In looking at the pictures, I think I am seeing that this is a “side extension” of the front storage cabinet that is above the propane compartment on the 5.0TA?

One caution I would bring up, and it is due to a remote condition that may never come up but I know it happened at least once because an acquaintance of mine picked up his 5.0TA late in the day and the landing gear would not function. Because the “electrical guru” had already left for the day, he and Reace worked for several hours into the evening trying to troubleshoot the problem. It turned out to be the ground was loose and the connection is to a screw or bolt on the top of the landing gear (jack). Reace had to tighten the connection by feel reaching up from below. If flooring the area above the jacks for added storage, it might be prudent to insure that the wire connections can be easily accessed should anything come loose or if the jack should ever need to be replaced. I personally have had no problems with the landing gear nor have I heard of anyone other than this one friend having issues, but it is something to store in one’s memory bank.
You’re absolutely right to not want to seal in any possible maintenance points. It looks to me as if the OP may have already thought of that. There is what looks to be an access hole and the plywood floor probably just lifts out . If it doesn’t how hard would it be to remove a few screws?
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post

Carl, that is a valid point. My floor can be removed with 4 screws to access the jack head if the need ever arises. I took a different approach. See post #16 in this thread:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ild-17625.html
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 02:06 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmitch View Post
When I was redoing the steps in the 5.0 TA I had to remove the panel in the storage to put in some screw blocks. Wow there is a lot of room. So after seeing what others have done In decided to tackle this project.
Very pleased with all the useable space.
I also added the rigid insulation on the back wall, but I covered it with 1/8 inch sheet of luan/door skin/ply to protect the insulation from stuff moving too much in the compartment.

good job
Old 05-04-2020, 04:08 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA The Glass Inn
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I also added the rigid insulation on the back wall, but I covered it with 1/8 inch sheet of luan/door skin/ply to protect the insulation from stuff moving too much in the compartment.

good job
I like this idea and will soon incorporate it .

I also like what arniesea suggested with screw eyes for tiedowns.

To answer some questions,
The plywood floor is removable no screws, it fits into a recess.
It is actually easier to access the jacks now than before.
The hole in the plywood is dual purpose, finger hole for easy removal and it lines up with the screw on the jack if needed to be used by hand.
Another thing someone recommended was a LED light powered off the jack leads. I think there are wires that were for a light on the jack when it is used on a "normal" trailer. I will get this feature added soon. Need to find a light.

This is an example of the power of this site. Others had the idea and solutions, I provided an updated solution, others have recommended upgrades or features.
I think it's great. Thanks, and on to the next upgrade.
rmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2020, 04:30 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
Carl, that is a valid point. My floor can be removed with 4 screws to access the jack head if the need ever arises. I took a different approach. See post #16 in this thread:

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...ild-17625.html
I haven’t found it necessary (or desirable) to complete this type of modification. I really like it and I could use additional storage space BUT do not absolutely need it. Mostly, I fear that if more space were to be available, it would fill up with stuff/weight I don’t really need! But If I ever decide to go forward, I would likely hinge a portion of the additional flooring or include “hatches” to allow access to the top of the jacks. Being able to gain access by removal of a few screws also solves any access need. A big part of the reason I posted my original comment was informational. I though I should share one possible, somewhat obscure cause should the landing gear on anyone’s 5.0TA suddenly stop working.