5.0 TA landing gear control modification - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Go sit with those party pooper women, and leave us men folk to build things bigger and better things .

Well, at least do some theoretical thinking.
Nah, that's cool. I had wireless happijacs on my truck camper, never again. I'm devolving to the KISS (Keep it simple ......) method as I get older. (However, I did look into the feasability of a auto leveling system). Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 09:49 AM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Skool View Post
(However, I did look into the feasability of a auto leveling system). Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Ahhhh! A closet schemer, eh?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 12:18 PM   #43

Quote:
Ahhhh! A closet schemer, eh?
Was looking at the Bigfoot auto leveling system, one of the motor homes that we looked at prior to deciding on the 5.0 TA had one, (sure is nice). Big $$$ and a bit overkill for our wee trailers. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Old 04-17-2016, 12:44 PM   #44

Quote:
Was looking at the Bigfoot auto leveling system, one of the motor homes that we looked at prior to deciding on the 5.0 TA had one, (sure is nice). Big $$$ and a bit overkill for our wee trailers. Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!
Definitely. I have a friend with a 25' Class A motorhome that has the 4 corner automatic levelling system. It is really cool when used on relatively flat ground, as the levelling is all automatic, but we often drag them to off the beaten path places and it does not do so well on undulating sites, as there is not enough length to the feet to raise the low corners, so he spends a lot of time figuring out how much to block under them. Definitely overkill in money and weight for a light trailer.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2016, 03:59 PM   #45

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
A good auto-leveling system would be really nice, but most of them are not very good, and I agree that any are heavy and complex for a lightweight travel trailer.

Quote:
Definitely. I have a friend with a 25' Class A motorhome that has the 4 corner automatic levelling system. It is really cool when used on relatively flat ground, as the levelling is all automatic, but we often drag them to off the beaten path places and it does not do so well on undulating sites, as there is not enough length to the feet to raise the low corners, so he spends a lot of time figuring out how much to block under them.
We have a typical hydraulic 4-jack automatic leveling system in our motorhome; it was standard equipment, as is typical with large motorhomes. Uneven ground is not a huge issue because the jacks have significant travel, but also I carry four wooden pads which both spread the load (handy on grass) and provide some extra height - some manual unpacking and hauling of the pads is required, but no big deal figuring anything. I have needed the extra height more for highly sloped prepared sites (where the drop over the 20-foot wheelbase is excessive) than on rough locations.

The bigger issues with my system (which is typical) are two other (related) problems entirely:
  1. The valve systems only allow the the jacks to be retracted as a group, not independently. This is done to save two electrically-controlled valves in the system. If you don't get it right, you fully retract and start again.
  2. The automatic controls are not responsive enough, and routinely overshoot slightly. This leads to additional corrective actions, and because it can only adjust upward, the whole RV ends up higher on the jacks than required. I now only use the system with manual control (pushing the buttons manually - the jacks are always powered).
If you choose or make a leveling system, watch for these issues. The easiest solution is to use jacks with individual electric motors, rather than a hydraulic system. These are commercially available, but as a whole package they usually have excessively large jacks for an Escape-sized trailer... that's why Escape uses the jacks they do for the 5.0TA landing gear, rather than the heavier jacks intended for that application.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 05:47 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA/03 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
Quote:
I must have freakishly long arms. Until I saw this thread, I never gave it a thought on the difficulty of seeing the landing gear. Peace, Apeman Scott

Scott and Lori
I like bikes!

I'm a normal size guy (5'9") who also never thought it was difficult to see both jacks.

Cliff
JMTHKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 11:17 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Thanks to Barry for the idea.
I completed my own version of the mod, I had to do something on the weekend. To see what I did, scroll down to "Landing gear control" here https://escape440.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/still-to-do/
Old 04-27-2016, 06:28 AM   #48

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Very nice job Chris, makes me think about doing the same.
Old 04-27-2016, 07:34 AM   #49

Another well thought out and executed job, Chris. I love when we feed you ideas and let you do all the hard thinking for us.
Old 04-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
I love it Chris, way to tool man it.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 09:00 PM   #51

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
Thanks to Barry for the idea.
I completed my own version of the mod, I had to do something on the weekend. To see what I did, scroll down to "Landing gear control" here https://escape440.wordpress.com/2016/04/11/still-to-do/
Hi Chris,

Thanks for sharing your work. When my 5.0 TA finally arrives it's normal parking spot puts driver's side 3" from a fence. With the trailer this close to a fence, I can't reach the switches or disconnect a remote control jack. Therefore, I plan to install the jack in the front storage bay.

I plan to buy commercial extend/retract switches like this:
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch Front.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	23879 Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch Back.JPG
Views:	11
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	23880

Some questions:

1. Do you believe your internal/external selector switch is essential? I'm thinking of skipping it and wiring the remote switches in parallel with those in the trailer. Do you think this creates a safety concern?

2. Did you fabricate the remote switch enclosure or purchase it? If purchased, where did you buy it?

3. The extend/retract switches all appear to have four lugs. Since the trailer cable has seven conductors you must have used at least one wire for both switches. Was it a ground wire or what?

4. Do you recall what gauge wiring ETI used on these switches?

5. Any other hints for those of us who want to do this?

Thanks!

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReagentGrade View Post

Some questions:

1. Do you believe your internal/external selector switch is essential? I'm thinking of skipping it and wiring the remote switches in parallel with those in the trailer. Do you think this creates a safety concern?

2. Did you fabricate the remote switch enclosure or purchase it? If purchased, where did you buy it?

3. The extend/retract switches all appear to have four lugs. Since the trailer cable has seven conductors you must have used at least one wire for both switches. Was it a ground wire or what?

4. Do you recall what gauge wiring ETI used on these switches?

5. Any other hints for those of us who want to do this?

Thanks!

Rich
I am not Chris, but have been following this.

1. You do not need to do a transfer switch as long as you use a bit of caution, Someone would have be be manning each set of switches to possibly hit up and down at the same time on the same jack.

2, Chris did build it. Handy guy, eh?

3. You need 6 wires, a positive, a negative, and the two feeds to each jack for up and down.

4. I think it is 14 gauge. I have mine exposed and can check tomorrow.

5. Just do it. I know I plan to at some time. You seem to have a very good reason to do yours.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:52 PM   #53

Yup, Jim is correct, I built the control box, it attaches with a standard Bargman trailer cable and port.
I decided to use the switch so I can use either inside controls, outside remote or shut off the power to the landing gear. As far as I know the gear is attached directly to the batteries bypassing the inside disconnect switch, basically, the gear is alway live. I wanted to have a way shut off the power.
I believe the switches have 6 connecters on the back. I originally got the ones with the 4 connectors, but wiring became very complicated.
If you unscrew the existing switch and pull it out a bit, you should be able to determine the wire gauge.
Because space is limited in the front corner, I assembled the whole assembly outside the trailer so I only had to plug it in when installing it.
Old 05-03-2017, 02:15 AM   #54

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
I believe the switches have 6 connecters on the back. I originally got the ones with the 4 connectors, but wiring became very complicated.
Chris, do you have the number of terminals on each switch backwards in this remark?
The photos on your blog site show 4-terminal reversing switches in the wired-up version, and the text says that "the switches are momentary DPDT toggles with cross overs" (the crossovers on Rich's switches are visible in his photo). One switch has red and yellow wires (presumably to one jack motor), the other switch has brown and green wires (presumably to the other jack motor), both have black (presumably the common +12V), and both have one more wire (presumably the common ground, white to one switch and black jumper to the other).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 07:31 AM   #55

Trailer: '87 Bigfoot 20DLX 5er (sold) - 2017 Escape 5.0 TA: Sep-17
Holy Smoke!

If you see something dripping off my face, that'd be egg! I had previously seen Chris' mod in another context. I didn't remember where I saw it so I searched the forum and found one of his more recent posts on this thread. The link took me into this thread but about 2/3 toward the end. I only read from there down.

This morning I saw Brian's DC Motor Reversing Switch wiring diagram in the Tapatalk thread preview. That made me to look for the diagram. I started at the beginning and read the WHOLE thing! Wow, I missed such a wealth of information in my first look. Oh well, I hear that egg is good for the complexion.

I see that Barry's original approach is what I'm thinking of doing. The only difference being that I prefer to put my connection in the storage bay rather than the propane bay. Then I saw Jim's suggestions about the Cnlinko connector which I had considered. (They make a 7 pin version rated at 15 amps.)

All my questions are answered plus a bunch I hadn't yet thought of yet.

Here are a few comments...

Chris, I didn't consider the possibility that the Internal - External switch would have a center Off position. Nice! I may still skip this feature, but I can see the benefit.

Despite my desire for a slimmer cable and Cnlinko connector, I'm hesitant to use it for this amount of current. Relays add more complexity than I want to get into on this mod but that would be so ELEGANT! So the trailer plug is the way I will go.

While looking for switch enclosure ideas I ran across a trailer plug with an inline junction box. I could mount the switches right in the J box cover. The limited space inside the box may require removing the prewired studs and connecting the cable directly to the switches, but that's a detail.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01EO17IKA..._8HBczb1K2VRN4

Alas, I still must wait four months to get my trailer, so I can't "just do it" as Jim suggests. But I could build the remote cable with switches. My first Escape mod!

Thanks for all the great information and ideas.

Rich
ReagentGrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 09:38 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Chris, do you have the number of terminals on each switch backwards in this remark?
I may have, just going from memory, oh sigh.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:09 AM   #57

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strawbarry View Post
I have never liked where the control switches for the front gear were located. I had to place my hand on the switches and then stand on my head to see the gear to guide them to their landing spot. This week I added a chord and box for the switches and placed a connection point in the LP storage area.
Atwood and others make wireless remotes and switch panels ready to mount in a box....why reinvent the wheel Mount their switch panel in a plastic handy box, run the correct wires in some sealtite, to the connectors referenced earlier...done. Or pay a little more and get the wireless remote like truck campers use and have the ability to stand anywhere!

Also I would NOT put any electrical connections in the LP storage area...there is a chance of spark and explosion, that is why LP is in a separate, vented compartment.

Nice mod though!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:10 AM   #58

Has anyone looked into the Atwood wireless option?

http://www.askforatwood.com/manuals/...%205.22.07.pdf

(Edit: Ian beat me by a minute)

Scott and Lori
Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
Atwood and others make wireless remotes and switch panels ready to mount in a box....why reinvent the wheel Mount their switch panel in a plastic handy box, run the correct wires in some sealtite, to the connectors referenced earlier...done. Or pay a little more and get the wireless remote like truck campers use and have the ability to stand anywhere!

Also I would NOT put any electrical connections in the LP storage area...there is a chance of spark and explosion, that is why LP is in a separate, vented compartment.

Nice mod though!
Who knew fancy stuff like that existed. Never had a slide out before.

What exactly does one need to do to incorporate one of these remotes?

And good point on using the propane compartment for electrical connections. While very unlikely that anything would happen, why take the chance. If you are using a 7-pin plug, and could not access the compartment the controls are currently in, using the storage hatch above the propane would be a better idea.
Old 05-03-2017, 10:16 AM   #60

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Has anyone looked into the Atwood wireless option?

http://www.askforatwood.com/manuals/...%205.22.07.pdf

(Edit: Ian beat me by a minute)

Scott and Lori
Seen them on truck campers, they work well. Plus the Senior members at rallies screw with the newbies as they are all on the same frequency....hunh it says down and the camper still isn't level
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote