5.0 top step modification - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-24-2020, 03:21 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0
5.0 top step modification

Would like to modify the top step on the 5.0 to open like the others and know someone has done it. Can someone point me in the right direction or tell me how you did it? Primary question is how the top step is attached so I can take it off without destroying more than I need to. Any tips or techniques are greatly appreciated.

Joel
"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end, which you can never afford to lose, with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Vice Admiral Stockdale
jphil23462 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 04:10 PM   #2

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
I simply looked at the other two steps, purchased a similar piano hinge, and built the step.

The most tedious part was removing the existing top step.

We have replaced that ugly, show every piece of dirt carpet with quality, salt and pepper berber carpet.

Enjoy,

Perry
Perry Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2020, 07:38 PM   #3

Agree that the carpet quality and color are problematic. Was that top step screwed in or nailed in? Trying to decide if using a crow bar from in between the step and support or hammering up from below is the best way. Can't wait to access the compartment and fit larger goods from that step. Thanks.
"You must never confuse faith that you will prevail in the end, which you can never afford to lose, with the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be." - Vice Admiral Stockdale
Old 10-24-2020, 07:49 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Here's a couple of links on the topic from my bookmark collection, perhaps of some help ...

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post333214
https://escape440.wordpress.com/2016...s-and-storage/

The version of this mod that I particularly like .... but sorry, I'm missing a link to the forum thread where someone hinged the top step and opened to full-depth storage for folding table. etc. I'm gonna take a chance on offense (with none intended) and attach a pic I saved from that thread FYI. Not my work, not my pic, very sorry I'm not able to give attribution that's due for this excellent 'deep storage' mod:
Attached Thumbnails
LOFT STEPS 01.jpeg  
Old 10-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #5

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
The version of this mod that I particularly like .... but sorry, I'm missing a link to the forum thread where someone hinged the top step and opened to full-depth storage for folding table. etc.
I installed a false bottom in our top step, allowing us to store our Renogy 100 watt panel underneath, in the back of the second step area. Our portable table fits perfectly in the front of the second step area. Once the false bottom is laid in we store our shoes in the top step area.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 10-24-2020, 08:53 PM   #6

Alan,
Thanks for the links. We are headed out this Monday for a short camping trip, so may wait till we get back but will be done in the next week or two. Not sure why they don't do this at the factory as it would make storing larger items much easier.

Joel
Old 10-24-2020, 10:08 PM   #7

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphil23462 View Post
Alan,
Thanks for the links. We are headed out this Monday for a short camping trip, so may wait till we get back but will be done in the next week or two. Not sure why they don't do this at the factory as it would make storing larger items much easier.

Joel
No worries, Joel, enjoy the trip!

Again I can't cite the thread/post but distinctly recall reading one of the Escape long-timers saying that Reace disfavored the the hinged upper-step due to structural concerns (no more specifics offered in the post IIRC). I've not run across anyone having done the mod saying they've observed any structural issues (yet?).

It's certainly on my list of things to do - it's 'made for' my preferred thin-folding chairs and table

Looking forward to your post and pics of the project whenever it occurs! IMO it's great that folks post their own version of 'repeat mods' .... seems everyone has some additional and helpful detail to share.
Old 11-20-2020, 10:04 AM   #8

Finished the top step mod and attached pictures show the final result.

Steps:
1. Pull stapled carpet from treads.
2. Unscrew the top tread.
3. Cut top tread to account for hinge and side clearance with carpet.
4. Put 1x2 in backing strips in front storage compartment to account for the hinge attachment height difference. I glued and stapled the pieces to look like factory.

Thanks for the responses and pictures to the original question making it easier for me to accomplish.
Attached Thumbnails
PXL_20201120_153028319.jpg   PXL_20201120_153024236.MP.jpg   PXL_20201120_155846705.jpg  
Old 11-20-2020, 10:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
I think I am going to do this mod too. Once I stop camping.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2020, 10:29 AM   #10

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Good job, a lot of very useful space hidden under there.
Old 11-21-2020, 03:17 PM   #11

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:

Steps:
4. Put 1x2 in backing strips in front storage compartment to account for the hinge attachment height difference. I glued and stapled the pieces to look like factory.

Thanks for the responses and pictures to the original question making it easier for me to accomplish.
Nicely done Joel and a very concise write up of the steps to get the job done!!
Old 11-21-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:

Steps:

Very neat job ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 08:28 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Opening up the top step was part of my early modifications. A very worthwhile endeavour. I do plan on changing the carpet when I find the time, as I just used a piece given to me by Escape to match under the mattress, a place you really can't see. Maybe take a clearer photo too.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote