5.0TA Cargo Box - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-18-2020, 09:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
... I seem to recall seeing on this forum one time somebody who had relocated their spare tire on a bracket on top of the pin box, do I remember correctly? Did you consider this location?
Here's a spare relocation discussion, not limited (as the title would suggest) to the 19': Spare Tire under the 19

Here's a spare mounted on the pin box of a 5.0TA from the thread 5.0 slide-out generator carrier:
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:48 PM   #22

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Hey Brian, thanks for forwarding this, much appreciated. It looks very good and seems to be stable. I'm trying to figure out a way of relocating that spare so that I can eventually get a homemade carrier built to carry an electric motorcycle I'm looking at. If I can keep the weight of the carrier to <100lbs, the bike is about 140lbs and so the total weight on the rear bumper would be about 240lbs give or take. Sounds like Jim Bennet has more than that weight when he has the bikes and cargo loaded so hopefully it should be fine. Also I wonder if having a bit more weight on the pin box may compensate for the extra weight on the rear bumper??
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2020, 11:51 PM   #23

Jim, when you have both your bikes loaded and all of the cargo in the new box did it affect the geometry of how the 5th wheel sits? Do you notice a change ion the level of your trailer or anything like that?
Old 10-19-2020, 02:00 PM   #24

Quote:
Also I wonder if having a bit more weight on the pin box may compensate for the extra weight on the rear bumper??
Weights on opposite ends of the trailer balance each other as far as net pin weight is concerned, and with the pin being further from the axles than a rear cargo rack, the the weight on the front has more effect than the same amount of weight on the back (this is a leverage issue). On the other hand, the further mass (weight) is away from the centre of the trailer the less stable the trailer is - just piling stuff on the front does not really compensate for stuff hanging off of the back.
Old 10-25-2020, 08:30 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Wow Jim! just saw this and I've bookmarked it; might be a good project to emulate one day for my 5TA? One question I have; I seem to recall seeing on this forum one time somebody who had relocated their spare tire on a bracket on top of the pin box, do I remember correctly? Did you consider this location? Thanks
I had thought of that, but for myself I did not want it visible like that. To me, though necessary, I really don't like the spare tire out in the open. I am weird that way.
Quote:
Jim, when you have both your bikes loaded and all of the cargo in the new box did it affect the geometry of how the 5th wheel sits? Do you notice a change ion the level of your trailer or anything like that?
The cargo box is quite close to the trailer helping eliminate the effect of the weight added by the box if it were further back. Also, moving the spare forward under the front helped lessen the weight difference. I did measure my weights and the hitch weight is 350 kg, or 770 lbs. The level of any trailer is in the height of the hitch attachment, but I saw no difference without changing it.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2020, 07:38 PM   #26

Thanks for that Jim. Did you ever get the chance to weigh the total weight of the cargo box and all the contents. As I may have mentioned before, I am thinking of purchasing a smaller electric motorcycle as a fun way to motor around from my campsites. An example would the the Zero FXS which weighs in at 250lbs; figure in about 150 lbs for a custom aluminum carrier and I'm at 400 lbs - that's probably lots heavier than your configuration right?
Old 04-16-2021, 02:28 PM   #27

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0 TA and 2019 Sundowner
Jim, I have looked at this post many times, and am considering using your idea of the two additional receivers (12" receivers) welded under the rear frame rails. I would then make a motorcycle carrier that would use all three receivers. The motorcycle would sit about 16" behind the rear bumper and the weight for the motorcycle and the carrier would be about 330 pounds total, distributed basically on the two outside receivers. The center receiver (and possibily one of the others) would have tube extended beyond the motorcycle tire rail for a tie down point. I have also removed the spare from the rear bumper (weight savings) and mounted as you have. Question is do you think this would be to much weight for the frame and/or rear of the trailer?
Your opinion is valued.
osubbfan@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2021, 04:17 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by osubbfan@aol.com View Post
... am considering using your idea of the two additional receivers (12" receivers) welded under the rear frame rails. I would then make a motorcycle carrier that would use all three receivers.
If you're adding receivers on each side, I don't think there is any point in trying to use the centre receiver as well, and it would make alignment and installation difficult.

If you're not going to routinely remove the carrier, and you're not using a ready-made carrier designed to work with two hitch receiver sockets, I don't see any benefit in using hitch-style square receiver sockets. It would be easier to just bolt or pin the carrier frame to brackets (with bolt/pin holes) mounted (welded or clamped) to the trailer frame.
Old 04-16-2021, 07:19 PM   #29

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Back in 2016, when selecting options for our 2017 21, additional receivers was listed as an option - "limited to 150 pound load". I saw where someone had added the option to their Escape (I don't remember who or what model; see first two photos), and I contacted Tammy for more details. She was emphatic that the weight restriction on the receiver(s) was 150 pounds TOTAL, regardless of how many they installed back there. By the time I decided to add two extra hitches to mount a box, I was informed that ETI had stopped offering extra hitches as a build option. My point is, I think it's worth asking the structural engineers at ETI just how much rear weight they are willing to cover under their current warranty. The third photo is of a rear-mounted generator box (there are companies who manufacture these commercially, one center receiver, stabilized on both sides to the bumper, fresh air comes in one side, exhaust goes out the other). Others on this forum will likely know from the added graphic whose Escape that is.
Attached Thumbnails
Triple box hitch 02.jpg   Triple box hitch 03.jpg   Generator Box.jpg  
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 12:08 AM   #30

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
FWIW, I believe additional receivers were $75 each back when they were offered as an option on ETI's build sheet. (Or were they one of those infamous "off the sheet" options? I'll have to go back and dig out my old paperwork.)
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2021, 04:12 AM   #31

Having two receivers welded to the frame waa cheap, easy and added huge strength. I never even used the factory one for my cargo box build.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-17-2021, 07:24 AM   #32

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Back in 2016, when selecting options for our 2017 21, additional receivers was listed as an option - "limited to 150 pound load". I saw where someone had added the option to their Escape (I don't remember who or what model; see first two photos), and I contacted Tammy for more details. She was emphatic that the weight restriction on the receiver(s) was 150 pounds TOTAL, regardless of how many they installed back there. By the time I decided to add two extra hitches to mount a box, I was informed that ETI had stopped offering extra hitches as a build option. My point is, I think it's worth asking the structural engineers at ETI just how much rear weight they are willing to cover under their current warranty. The third photo is of a rear-mounted generator box (there are companies who manufacture these commercially, one center receiver, stabilized on both sides to the bumper, fresh air comes in one side, exhaust goes out the other). Others on this forum will likely know from the added graphic whose Escape that is.
Your photos indicate a improperly set up IMHO because of the large overhang and stress on the rear of the trailer. I would hate to read about something coming off and causing an accident but there has to be a better way to carry those items.
Old 04-25-2021, 01:48 PM   #33

Trailer: 2022 Keystone Cougar 29RLKWE & RAM 2500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Your photos indicate a improperly set up IMHO because of the large overhang and stress on the rear of the trailer. I would hate to read about something coming off and causing an accident but there has to be a better way to carry those items.
Here's a "plastic" storage box I just added to my 21C using factory receiver. Weighs 45 lbs empty. Only 4' wide so tail lights can be seen.
Attached Images

dlakeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:15 PM   #34

Trailer: Shopping
Long-term Review of Jim's Custom Storage Box and Mounting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Having two receivers welded to the frame waa cheap, easy and added huge strength. I never even used the factory one for my cargo box build.
Hi Jim. How are the box and mounts holding up? Any issues? Anything you would change? Has it been used much?

Thanks,

Brad
Lovin_Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2021, 07:55 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovin_Life View Post
Hi Jim. How are the box and mounts holding up? Any issues? Anything you would change? Has it been used much?

Thanks,

Brad
They are holding out just great, and it is used all the time. Not really sure I would change much, it works so well for us.
Old 05-31-2021, 09:51 PM   #36

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
https://www.stowaway2.com/max-cargo-carrier-black
I have this already and I'm putting on the back of my 5.0.
It weighs 50 pounds and I will load load it with another hundred maybe.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 07:52 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1200bruce View Post
I looked at one of those but quickly ruled it out. Where would the bikes go?
Old 06-01-2021, 09:12 AM   #38

Trailer: 2021 5.0 TA in about a year. Lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I looked at one of those but quickly ruled it out. Where would the bikes go?
No bikes here, sorry if that's what the threads about.
1200bruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2021, 12:46 PM   #39

Quote:
No bikes here, sorry if that's what the threads about.
As you saw reading the thread, it is about the cargo box I built. I mentioned bikes, as most people take them for cruising around on and was an important part of my build.
Old 06-18-2021, 10:27 PM   #40

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
Quote:
You may want to check your weights. With the swing arm this weighs about 100 pounds, 70 ish without the swing arm.

We have one on our Scamp 19 and it is a very well made product, but it does stick out a bit behind the trailer. Also, no bike rack or bonus points for designing your own box.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote