5.0TA Enlarge Front Cubby - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 04-24-2019, 07:53 PM   #21

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
What is Clam?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:06 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
A Clam is a screen tent.

Link here:
CLAM Portable Gazebo | Canopy Tent | Screen Popup Tent
Attached Thumbnails
D0C0BF01-1AB3-459C-BAEE-932FC476B34D.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 10:12 PM   #23

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Cubby Mod ok structurally

Hi All,

Arnie here in Chilliwack.

I talked to Reace today regarding the structural risks of this modification. He said that the framing one sees when the side panels are removed to access the jacks are just for the panel and are not structural. There is no risk removing them to widen the storage space.

That area behind the panels for those rare times the jacks fail, they need to be removed by pulling them up and out of the trailer. So if one is going extend the shelf above the jack to expand the storage as shown by the OP, then the flooring above the jacks should be removable so the jacks can be replaced if they fail.

This mod has been added to my list! Such a great way to gain space for those items we would like to stay outside the trailer. Just be sure to keep the space to the jacks accessible.

I view it like having an umbrella, if one has an umbrella with them it doesn’t rain. If the jacks are accessible, they won‘t fail.
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:15 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
When I have brought the Clam, it has been used little, but it seems when I don't have it there are lots of windy and rainy days it would have been nice.

I bought my daughter a Gazelle at a super deal Ed (Eggscape) found and she had it set up this past weekend. Not quite as robust as the Clam, but for the price a very nice unit.
We have the smaller Gazelle and like it. Carried it next to the bed, which worked ok until we had to pack it up wet. Found it fit in the pickup bed ahead of the hitch against tool box. I pulled the panel out of front storage area thinking this might be good place but couldn’t fit it in because of door width. After thinking about it, if it did fit then I’d need to find storage for our grill which fits nicely and easy access to in the front storage. Put panel back for possible future mod if I find a need for the considerable space to either side. For now I’m carrying enough stuff. I do think ETI could have easily done this as standard construction with little effort. Wonder why they didn’t? 🤔 Perhaps to prevent too much weight being added to pin?You could carry a lot of bricks in there 😂
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 07:41 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
...I do think ETI could have easily done this as standard construction with little effort. Wonder why they didn’t? 🤔 Perhaps to prevent too much weight being added to pin?You could carry a lot of bricks in there 😂
In my conversation with Reace yesterday he did somewhat address why. The walls of the propane cubby are determined by the Jacks. They carried that jack space up into the upper compartment because their focus was on ease of maintenance and/or replacement of the jacks if needed. He said they hear about it right away when customers have troubles with the jacks. It is usually electrical not mechanical. A fuse or breaker or rarely dead batteries. But in that case one can plug into the tow vehicle if it is the battery. It makes sense to me that a manufacturer’s priorities would be maintenance.

I think he was impressed when I showed him the pictures that Cathy and Twyla posted to start this thread. So who knows?
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-25-2019, 08:15 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Perhaps to prevent too much weight being added to pin?You could carry a lot of bricks in there 😂
Definitely a consideration for me with my trailer right near the weight limit. Dang.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2019, 09:04 AM   #27

Quote:
Definitely a consideration for me with my trailer right near the weight limit. Dang.
Ha! That gives me a lot of confidence since I’ve seen your rig and you do carry a lot of ... stuff.
I’m hoping to do the mod so I can carry Washington bricks to my family in Colorado. Ya, that’s it!
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-25-2019, 09:20 AM   #28

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Oh boy, I could create more space for more cats!
Old 04-25-2019, 09:22 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmurphy02 View Post
Oh boy, I could create more space for more cats!
And you could build an access hole in the top step riser for them to go directly into it. A place for that nasty litter stuff?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-25-2019, 09:23 AM   #30

Quote:
And you could build an access hole in the top step riser for them to go directly into it. A place for that nasty litter stuff?
The only problem with having a remote litter area is having to go outside to access it to scoop....much easier to have it readily accessible in the trailer and be able to scoop often - takes only a minute but makes a BIG difference.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:34 AM   #31

Quote:
The only problem with having a remote litter area is having to go outside to access it to scoop....much easier to have it readily accessible in the trailer and be able to scoop often - takes only a minute but makes a BIG difference.
It only takes a few seconds to get to the hatch.
Old 04-25-2019, 09:38 AM   #32

Quote:
It only takes a few seconds to get to the hatch.
... and it is under the loft out of the rain.
- Bremerton, WA
Old 04-25-2019, 10:53 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by arniesea View Post
In my conversation with Reace yesterday he did somewhat address why. The walls of the propane cubby are determined by the Jacks. They carried that jack space up into the upper compartment because their focus was on ease of maintenance and/or replacement of the jacks if needed. He said they hear about it right away when customers have troubles with the jacks. It is usually electrical not mechanical. A fuse or breaker or rarely dead batteries. But in that case one can plug into the tow vehicle if it is the battery. It makes sense to me that a manufacturer’s priorities would be maintenance.

I think he was impressed when I showed him the pictures that Cathy and Twyla posted to start this thread. So who knows?
🤔Couple of easily removed floor panels wouldn’t be any harder than removing side panels. Think you would still want to put some panels at ends of the space to prevent shifting stuff (bricks etc) from banging into fiberglass shell. It does look to almost double that space.
Old 04-25-2019, 10:59 AM   #34

This is definitely on my list, to enlarge the front compartment. Having just picked up our 5.0TA a week ago, I'm still working through a million little mods and adjustments already on my list....and still rejoicing over the very generous storage capacity everywhere. It will take a couple of trips before everything is full to overflowing....this will come in handy then
Old 04-25-2019, 11:34 AM   #35

🤔 You know if we really try hard enough we can turn a nice light weight trailer into a really heavy one 😂
Old 04-25-2019, 11:39 AM   #36

Quote:
[emoji848] You know if we really try hard enough we can turn a nice light weight trailer into a really heavy one [emoji23]
Guilty!
Old 04-25-2019, 06:38 PM   #37

Trailer: 5.0 TA June 2016
I like this mod! It could solve a few storage issues. A couple of questions though: what sort of structure did you build to hold up the extended floor, and it looks like the drivers side is panelled off at less depth than the passenger side. Is there a reason for this? Thanks. JR.
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:29 AM   #38

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I take the opposite approach. I have modified two RVs to provide a cat litter box space which is accessible by the cats from the inside, but has an outside hatch for me to scoop the litter, while standing outside and not bending down as far as I would be if inside. That stuff needs to go out, not into the interior.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 12:31 AM   #39

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
🤔 You know if we really try hard enough we can turn a nice light weight trailer into a really heavy one 😂
Sure, but the interior modifications of this compartment by themselves add minimal weight. Better storage space doesn't necessarily mean carrying more stuff - it can mean being able to get to the same stuff more easily, or in some cases not needing an external storage box (on the back, in the case of the 5.0TA).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2019, 07:23 AM   #40

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Sure, but the interior modifications of this compartment by themselves add minimal weight. Better storage space doesn't necessarily mean carrying more stuff - it can mean being able to get to the same stuff more easily, or in some cases not needing an external storage box (on the back, in the case of the 5.0TA).
In theory, but most of us go by the "If it's there, I will fill it" philosophy.

Enjoy,

Perry