5.0TA Enlarge Front Cubby - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #41

Trailer: 2018 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
Hmmm...I will have the same issue. I hope it will fit too.
Hmmm I’ll have to try putting the clam in and see how it does
grape_escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 10:22 AM   #42

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
This was a good weekend project, now I have a better choice on how to distribute stuff between the inside the trailer and the truck. Now to fit the grill back in and decide where stuff goes, then camping.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_7482.jpg   SAM_7483.jpg  
Old 04-30-2019, 10:31 AM   #43

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_escape View Post
Hmmm I’ll have to try putting the clam in and see how it does

Let me know! My truck has a 5.5ft bed so it’s either here or inside on the floor.
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:10 PM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris R View Post
This was a good weekend project, now I have a better choice on how to distribute stuff between the inside the trailer and the truck. Now to fit the grill back in and decide where stuff goes, then camping.
Looks great Chris but I like all your mods. Did you put insulation in the back of that cabinet?
CoolCampingKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2019, 03:17 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolCampingKid View Post
Did you put insulation in the back of that cabinet?
Yes, I put that blue polystyrene insulation between the framing, then thin panel/door skin to finish.
Old 05-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #46

Trailer: 2014 FWC
In your pictures of the newly opened up area, did you find the wires as shown, or did you move them?
Cheers,
Tim
Captm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 05:21 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captm View Post
In your pictures of the newly opened up area, did you find the wires as shown, or did you move them?
Cheers,
Tim

The wires on the passenger side only needed some plastic loom put on them to protect them.

On the drivers side, the main trailer wires from the junction box cross the compartment diagonally so they had to be lengthened. The wires were then secured to the "ceiling' above to keep them out of the way.

I could of made the drivers side smaller by not moving the wires, but would only gain a few inches. The new platforms are removable for landing gear maintenance or replacement. On the front side, the platform supports are epoxied to the fiberglass.
Attached Thumbnails
SAM_7455.jpg   SAM_7469.jpg   SAM_7478.jpg  
Old 05-01-2019, 05:51 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0
Talking

There are certain things in life that are immutable. Expense always rises to meet income. You will need another tool for the project. Storage space gets filled up.

Get a new job with a big raise = bigger house and newer car.

DIY a repair = you don't have that type of screw driver.

Buy a bigger purse = carry more cosmetics.

If you enlarge the storage space in your RV you will not have more available room. You will have more stuff in the available room. I can't resist opening up unused space though. I had a house with a wall that served no purpose and had a big empty space inside. I removed the wall. Then I realized the living room had no walls to put furniture against. I still left the wall out because I couldn't stand to have the wasted space.

I have to constantly resist the urge to buy bigger luggage because I can't lug the luggage I already have. It's a disease.

At least I don't have cats!
mizterwizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 06:07 PM   #49

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
The wires on the passenger side only needed some plastic loom put on them to protect them.

On the drivers side, the main trailer wires from the junction box cross the compartment diagonally so they had to be lengthened. The wires were then secured to the "ceiling' above to keep them out of the way.

I could of made the drivers side smaller by not moving the wires, but would only gain a few inches. The new platforms are removable for landing gear maintenance or replacement. On the front side, the platform supports are epoxied to the fiberglass.
When you say "moving" do you really mean just "moving or do you mean "splice in more wire so they can be moved out of the way?" We have no extra wire to just "move" and will need to splice in more wire.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-01-2019, 06:56 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
When you say "moving" do you really mean just "moving or do you mean "splice in more wire so they can be moved out of the way?" We have no extra wire to just "move" and will need to splice in more wire.

Enjoy,

Perry
Ahh, yes, I meant splice in about 3 ft of various wires. Where you cut makes a difference, unless you are a contornist. It is challenging if you are right handed and have to reach in with both hands. Don't forget to disconnect the NEG cable from the battery and disconnect your solar panel. .
When I worked on the landing gear switches a couple of years ago, I found that the landing gear bypasses the disconnect switch.
Old 05-02-2019, 02:41 AM   #51

Quote:
Ahh, yes, I meant splice in about 3 ft of various wires. Where you cut makes a difference, unless you are a contornist. It is challenging if you are right handed and have to reach in with both hands. Don't forget to disconnect the NEG cable from the battery and disconnect your solar panel. .
When I worked on the landing gear switches a couple of years ago, I found that the landing gear bypasses the disconnect switch.

Where did you disconnect the solar panel?
drjenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 09:32 AM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjenk View Post
Where did you disconnect the solar panel?
On mine, I disconnect the MC4 connectors at the back on the panel on the roof. Some owners have installed breaker boxes.
Old 05-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrallen View Post
I like this mod! It could solve a few storage issues. A couple of questions though: what sort of structure did you build to hold up the extended floor, and it looks like the drivers side is panelled off at less depth than the passenger side. Is there a reason for this? Thanks. JR.

On the passenger side I used 1x2 and attached it to the back wall and to the extension. Near the front corner I used a 2x4 fence clip from the lumber yard to create a secure lip to hole the leg. 2x3. Secured that to the top of the extension board as well as the clip itself. Making sure that it is all removesble in case a jack failure. You are right about the paneling on the drivers side. I reused the piece that was there to protect the wires that are behind it. Again making sure that you can remove everything. We replaced the steel propane tanks with the Viking fibreglass Ones so we had already lightened the front.
Hope this helps. Wish I would have taken more pictures but didn’t think of the sharing aspect.
Cathy
Old 05-02-2019, 11:30 AM   #54

Quote:
Looks great Chris
Old 05-02-2019, 01:03 PM   #55

Trailer: 2017 50 TA, 2016 F150, 2.7 Ecoboost
🤔 Hmmm, I think someone should put a hatch on either end and see how this works as a pass through storage. 💡 The Clam might fit then!
Chotch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2019, 01:47 PM   #56

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
🤔 Hmmm, I think someone should put a hatch on either end and see how this works as a pass through storage. 💡 The Clam might fit then!
I think you found the exterior pass through storage that has been missing on Escapes!
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 10:16 AM   #57

Trailer: 5.0 TA June 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by grape_escape View Post
On the passenger side I used 1x2 and attached it to the back wall and to the extension. Near the front corner I used a 2x4 fence clip from the lumber yard to create a secure lip to hole the leg. 2x3. Secured that to the top of the extension board as well as the clip itself. Making sure that it is all removesble in case a jack failure. You are right about the paneling on the drivers side. I reused the piece that was there to protect the wires that are behind it. Again making sure that you can remove everything. We replaced the steel propane tanks with the Viking fibreglass Ones so we had already lightened the front.
Hope this helps. Wish I would have taken more pictures but didn’t think of the sharing aspect.
Cathy
Thanks for this, very helpful. i modified the passenger side yesterday and considering i do most of my carpentry work with a chainsaw it came together quite well!!!
jrallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 11:31 AM   #58

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotch View Post
Hi: Chotch... Oh goody... Another "Dog house"!!! Oh look a squirrel. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote