5 Cu Ft Refer Flame Blowing Out - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-10-2011, 03:22 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
5 Cu Ft Refer Flame Blowing Out

I have a 17B with the larger (5.0 cu ft) refer & have determined that the flame is blowing out when ever I'm driving over 30mph. I can't leave it off if I'm traveling more than a couple of hours since the inside temperature rapidly rises to over 40F.

So, I contacted Dometic Technical Support & after a 20 minute wait talked to a technician that told me they have a solution. "Air Foil Kit 3108038.005 for Dometic 4 & 5 cu. ft. Caravan Refrigerators in Truck Campers" was what I needed & they would sent me one free of charge. I got the kit, and there is no way it can be used with the Escape refer installation. the installation instructions shows a different outside lower door (on which the "vent baffles" are mounted), and many parts of the cooling unit as well as the back of the refrigerator get in the way of installing the "Burner Shield".

Sounded like a good idea, but I'm lost as to how to install it. Anyone ever tried this?
Old 09-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #2

Re: 5 Cu Ft Refer Flame Blowing Out

I have the same 5 cu ft fridge in my 17b which we picked up in early July.

We had a similar problem with the flame going out even at 0 MPH (0 km/H for Canadians) right from our first trip.

I didn't post the issue on the forum as Reace and my local RV service centre dealt with it quickly and efficiently.

I should have written the exact problem/solution down but essentially, to my non-technical brain, the gap on the ignition system was mis-aligned at the Dometic factory perhaps from fabrication or perhaps in shipping.

Talk to Reace as he probably remembers what I told him 2 months ago. This was not an issue of quality in Escape trailers: it may be a problem with a batch of fridges from the manufacturer.

Since the servicing (quick and easy at Meridian RV: no charge as it was still under warranty), the fridge works perfectly.

I hope this helps your situation.

G
shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

We have the 5 in our 17B also and travel with it lit whenever there is food in it. Ours has never had gone out while traveling, so it is likely a problem like shanngord experienced rather than a general problem with the 5 and a 17B.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 06:38 PM   #4

Mine is definitely blowing out. As soon as I stop it relights & the temperature starts back down. No problems when stopped. I'd love to have Reace look at it but I'm about 3000 miles away!
Old 09-10-2011, 06:50 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye
Mine is definitely blowing out. As soon as I stop it relights & the temperature starts back down. No problems when stopped. I'd love to have Reace look at it but I'm about 3000 miles away!
Reace is a quality travel trailer builder but not a RV fridge technician.

If your fridge is acting up in any way take it to your local RV service technician. If in doubt, phone and ask if they do Dometic warrenty work. Honestly, with our local guy there was no paper work except the work order and they bill Dometic directly. Dometic knows that they have an issue, and should not question a warrenty claim even if its "just for a check-up". They do not want problems with explosions and or anphyxiation - bad for business.

Your fridge should work perfectly, even at travelling speeds (we travel with the propane on except for fuel stops and ferry rides).
Mine was going out when camped and then would go click, click, click for 20-30 minutes as it tried to re-light itself.

shanngord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 07:20 PM   #6

I'll give one of our local dealers a try. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2011, 11:48 AM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA

I think you might be rolling them too big.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye
In our AS we had the same issue.. it started the same way flaming out when driving and eventually start to "die" even when it was standing still overnight.

The dealer at first up'd the pressure on the propane (via the regulator) - that really didn't do it and then later replaced the "controller board" which didn't fix it either. Then ended up having the fridge "condemned" and replaced it with a new unit.. Which solved the problem..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 05:40 PM   #9

Trailer: 2011 Escape 17B

Oh Jim - That was a good one!

[img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails
big reefer.jpg  
LBaranyai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 08:08 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBaranyai

Oh Jim - That was a good one!

[img][/img]
Man, does THAT bring back memories (I know, I wonder how I remember that stuff myself)! Mama-San would roll a big bomber like that, and off we'd go.

Kids, don't try this at home.

Dave
Republic of Vietnam 1969 - 1970