6 Volt AGM-GC2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 10-28-2018, 01:23 PM   #1
Tin

Trailer: 2017 5.0TA
6 Volt AGM-GC2

Considering upgrading to 6 VOLT AGM-GC2 batteries, I am running on the Go Power
GP-PWM-30-UL solar controller. (AGM charge settings: Bulk/Absorption 14.4v / Float 13.7v )
What do you think ? Compatibility with controller ? are there better options ?
can buy all locally.

Oh the Trojan sale ends 10/31/18
https://www.trojanbatteryoutlet.com/...SAAEgLgMvD_BwE

1. Crown 6CRV (220 AH) AGM: $ 230 (seems like good bang for the buck )
(AGM charge settings: Bulk 14.64v / Absorption 14.52v / Float 13.2v )

2.Trojan Reliant T105(217 AH) AGM: $ 215 (Great bang for the buck) On sale @ Trojan until 10/31/18
(AGM charge settings: Bulk/Absorption 14.1v-14.7v / Finish 14.7v ??)

3. Life Line GPL-4CT (220 AH) AGM: $346 (Great battery not sure if it warrants the price)
(AGM charge settings: Bulk/Absorption @ 70F 14.41v / Float 13.39v )

Tin.
Tin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:31 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tin View Post
...Compatibility with controller ?
Tin.
I would do the Trojan personally.
But one thing to keep in mind. Per the Trojan User Guide Page 20:
"W A R N I N G! Deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries should NEVER be equalized."
So be prepared to fiddle with the GoPower solar controller and turn off equalization. The manual was clear but it has been 3 years for me.

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 02:53 PM   #3
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
I would do the Trojan personally.
But one thing to keep in mind. Per the Trojan User Guide Page 20:
"W A R N I N G! Deep-cycle AGM or gel batteries should NEVER be equalized."
So be prepared to fiddle with the GoPower solar controller and turn off equalization. The manual was clear but it has been 3 years for me.

--
Alan
Thanks Alan for the heads up, I will make SURE to switch over to AGM charge cycle. There does not appear to be a Equalization cycle while on AGM charging.
and yes the Trojans look pretty good especially at that price!
Attached Thumbnails
GP-PWM-30-UL.PNG  
Old 10-28-2018, 04:10 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Thank-you for starting this thread, Tin, and Thank-You, Alan for your informed answer!

So.....as a very interested observer, the proper size AGM is a ‘direct replacement ‘ to the ETI installed flooded, with the only alteration being reprogramming the solar controller to AGM charging mode?

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 04:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
The trojan prices look really good for 6v AGM. It would be a good upgrade and have always heard good reports on the T105.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 05:39 PM   #6
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Clark View Post
Thank-you for starting this thread, Tin, and Thank-You, Alan for your informed answer!

So.....as a very interested observer, the proper size AGM is a ‘direct replacement ‘ to the ETI installed flooded, with the only alteration being reprogramming the solar controller to AGM charging mode?
Yes, these batteries are GC2 form factor, same as the Interstates escape offers. The differences are many, no need to add water little to no off gassing and more importantly their charge profile aligns much better to both the WFCO and the Go Power solar controller. IMO the Interstate battery are a bad choice for both the WFCO and Go Power solar controller due to an inadequate charge profile, neither can fully satisfy.
Old 10-28-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
The trojan prices look really good for 6v AGM. It would be a good upgrade and have always heard good reports on the T105.
Thanks Greg, I to have heard the same but have no personal experience with them. I maybe order a couple Monday morning.
Old 10-28-2018, 06:54 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Yes, these batteries are GC2 form factor, same as the Interstates escape offers.
The only thing to watch about this is that some battery models described with the industry-standard term "GC2" will be taller, and may cause fit problems in some Escape models (particularly the 21' and 5.0TA, because they need to fit in a box under a dinette bench). Although the Interstates are tall and so these particular brands appear to be okay, another brand might not be.

Length x Width x Height
Interstate GC2: 10 5/16" (262 mm) x 7 1/8" (181 mm) x 11" (279 mm)

Crown 6CRV220: 10.25" (260 mm) x 7.06" (179.3 mm) x 10.94" (278 mm)
Trojan Reliant T-105 AGM: 10.30" (262mm) x 7.06" (179mm) x 10.73" (273mm)
Lifeline GPL-4CT: 10.28" (261.1 mm) x 7.06" (179.3 mm) x 9.92" (251.8 mm)
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2018, 08:05 PM   #9

Quote:
Yes, these batteries are GC2 form factor, same as the Interstates escape offers. The differences are many, no need to add water little to no off gassing and more importantly their charge profile aligns much better to both the WFCO and the Go Power solar controller. IMO the Interstate battery are a bad choice for both the WFCO and Go Power solar controller due to an inadequate charge profile, neither can fully satisfy.

Excellent! Thanks again!

Old 10-28-2018, 10:54 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
and may cause fit problems in some Escape models (particularly the 21' and 5.0TA, because they need to fit in a box under a dinette bench)...
Food for thought, and I know there will be some strong opinions...

I mounted my AGMs inside a framework screwed down to the sub-floor of my E21. Webbing straps are mounted to this framework. A square of plywood covers the whole assembly to protect the terminals against the accidental dropped wrench. But, note the absence of a box or dedicated vent tube. Since leakage is not an issue (they won't leak even if someone accidentally drills a hole in the side - and DON'T ask how I know this), and since venting is not an issue if not overcharged, then the box becomes redundant. Same mounting method I used on my sailboat - where being upside down had to be planned for. Just my opinions here.
--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 07:55 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:

Also as an interested observer. Where is the solar controller? What's the process to reprogram the settings?

Background: my original interstate gc2's are dead after five years. I have been thinking about going the AGM route as well. One was leaking a bit of acid and I never liked the idea of having batteries in the same room in which I sleep anyway, hence the consideration of AGMs.

Most injuries injuries in old men occur because they think they are young men!
bisonbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 08:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post
Also as an interested observer. Where is the solar controller? What's the process to reprogram the settings?

Background: my original interstate gc2's are dead after five years. I have been thinking about going the AGM route as well. One was leaking a bit of acid and I never liked the idea of having batteries in the same room in which I sleep anyway, hence the consideration of AGMs.
Good question, Bill! I am not ready to replace yet, but will with AGM at that time. I don’t know the programming procedure either, but will research and read the owners manual. Wish I could help you...

Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #13
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Food for thought, and I know there will be some strong opinions...

I mounted my AGMs inside a framework screwed down to the sub-floor of my E21. Webbing straps are mounted to this framework. A square of plywood covers the whole assembly to protect the terminals against the accidental dropped wrench. But, note the absence of a box or dedicated vent tube. Since leakage is not an issue (they won't leak even if someone accidentally drills a hole in the side - and DON'T ask how I know this), and since venting is not an issue if not overcharged, then the box becomes redundant. Same mounting method I used on my sailboat - where being upside down had to be planned for. Just my opinions here.
--
Alan
Hi Alan, I personally see nothing wrong with this. AGM's certainly have advantages.
Old 10-30-2018, 11:48 PM   #14
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bisonbill View Post

Hi Bison, My controller is above the frig. I think Escape now installs them in the front of the bench seating next to the batteries. On the GP-PWM-30-UL solar controller you just use the buttons on the front of the controller to scroll thru the three battery types Flooded, AGM and GEL. Easy

Honestly just not having to drag them d@m cushions out is worth it to me. Little to no off gassing, quicker charging with better charge profile compatibility.
Attached Thumbnails
12- SOLAR CONTROLER & REMOTE INVERTER.jpg   15-SOLAR AMPS.jpg  
Old 10-30-2018, 11:55 PM   #15
Tin

Quote:
Good question, Bill! I am not ready to replace yet, but will with AGM at that time. I don’t know the programming procedure either, but will research and read the owners manual. Wish I could help you...
Good point, Since Escape has installed various model # at different times. Best to verify your model# and if buying new contact Escape for model#.
Old 10-31-2018, 12:22 PM   #16
Tin

Trojan Solar AGM 6v 220 AH

While no luck on the Reliant T 105 AGM's they had sold out. I let them know if someone cancels there order I would be interested. They called Yesterday and asked if I would be interested in Trojan Solar AGM's (SAGM 06 220) brand new at the same price, at first I was put off by this and said I would research them and call back if interested.

While to make a long story short, I jumped on them. My main concern was its application ( being installed in a rolling earth quake) I was assured by Trojan that this would not be a problem as these are built the same only slight chemical difference and marketing was involved(also these have a 3 year warranty instead of a 1 year ).

They look identical to the T-105 and there charge profile matches up better with GP-PWM-30-UL solar controller. I topped them off, then ran them thru 2 discharge cycles @ 40%. I will install them in the trailer a little later and reset my Victron battery monitor.

Getting ready for some serious desert camping!
Tin.
Attached Thumbnails
2.jpg   3.jpg   4.jpg   5.jpg  
Old 10-31-2018, 09:44 PM   #17
Tin

Fit like a glove

I installed the Trojan's in the original battery box, Fit like a glove. Reset the battery monitor and plugged in the new 30 watt trailer port solar panel to keep everything topped off every thing worked perfect.
Attached Thumbnails
7.5.jpg   8.jpg   30 Watt Panel.PNG  
Old 11-01-2018, 10:20 AM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Fitment looks great. Not familiar with the batteries, but look forward to your info as you get some use on them. Sounds like they made you a great deal on them.
You going to head out to the Quartzsite gathering in Feb?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 11:56 AM   #19

Good work, Tin, and congratulations! In Post #16 you mention your pre-Installation procedure of topping them off and then running them through two discharge cycles @40%. Is this procedure always necessary or because these are Solar Batteries?

Old 11-01-2018, 02:26 PM   #20
Tin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Fitment looks great. Not familiar with the batteries, but look forward to your info as you get some use on them. Sounds like they made you a great deal on them.
You going to head out to the Quartzsite gathering in Feb?
Thanks Greg, yes I think I stumbled on a great deal, time will tell. We normal go in February for the rock and gem shows and if we feel daring will go to the big tent RV show in January, Not so sure we are ready for rallies just yet, besides I am not so sure I would survive, some of the forum members might come up with a new game " Lets bury Tin".