A few simple mods - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-06-2019, 11:52 PM   #21

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I have a friend, a great long time friend but when I go to help him on a boat project etc. he goes round and round on small details. Drives me absolutely nuts. I've ended up countless times saying, "I could have finished the project in the time we've spent going round and round on details might not ever be needed."

I guess if I had a personal motto it would be "A journey of a thousand miles......"

Ron
Understand ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 11:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I generally like to plan thoroughly.

And then put the job off, until I have a plan.
Old 11-07-2019, 06:07 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
What is the saying "When you are up to your neck in a swamp filled with alligators, you forget that your initial goal was to drain the swamp!"
Old 11-07-2019, 09:43 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
Another possibility for the shelf guards in the medicine cabinet - Lowes sells white PVC 1 1/4" x 1 1/4" corner guards. 144" for $11.28 so share!
I think Home depot sells a similar thing in clear plastic, so you can see if something has fallen down behind it. Lowes probably does also.
Old 11-07-2019, 10:18 AM   #25

Trailer: 21’ 2020
Quote:
A key part of my answer was "My design process" Lot's of folks do sort through and plan every item for a project ahead of time. But especially if you haven't nailed it down to one design then it's doing a lot of extra work for nothing.

I just decide what I want the finished item to be and get going on it. I know that there'll be some things to sort out along the way but I've got enough confidence that I can find a solution and make it work.

The follow-up form for the disability projects that I build asks "Do plans for this project exist?" The answer is always no. My process doesn't work for everyone but, on the other hand, I've seen folks bogged down, going round and round on details and never take the most critical action to getting the job done; take the first step.

Ron
I’m intrigued with your approach...it does take a creative and intelligent mind to both have the confidence as well as the ability to solve problems like this one.

I find that creating art has a similar path. Sometimes the project tells you what it needs, instead of you having a preplanned approach. Most times, this intuitive approach and the “give-and-take“ part of the process renders a much better final product!

As far as such modifications go for the Escape, I must follow a pre--set list of instructions or process. In other words, have the end picture in mind. Such construction and mods are just out of the realm of my comfort zone and experience.
So, I’ll be curious to see how you solve this one! I hope you share your final product.
Artlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 10:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
I have a friend, a great long time friend but when I go to help him on a boat project etc. he goes round and round on small details. Drives me absolutely nuts. I've ended up countless times saying, "I could have finished the project in the time we've spent going round and round on details might not ever be needed."

I guess if I had a personal motto it would be "A journey of a thousand miles......"

Ron
I have a term I have come to use over the years for this. “Over-Analising” Like Ron, that takes the fun out of the process for me.
When I built the pvc bunk beds for the 17b a number of years back, I had the concept, purchased the raw materials, and built on the fly. Adjustments happened as I built and ended up with a great set of bunks, for low cost that served our kids well for two years. Total time was about four hours from concept to finished project. When it was time to sell they quickly disassembled to restore the trailer to original condition, with no permanent damage to the front dinette area. I’ve had friends “Over-Analise” bunk bed projects that took months to complete and didn’t turn out any better and some worse, not to mention all the stress and time.
The trailer is a tool for my wife and I to get out and have adventures. If something can be added or changed on the trailer to make a better experience, I come home and solve it. Otherwise, “Don’t Worry, Be Happy” would be my motto.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 12:54 PM   #27

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Designing and building are extremely sensitive, personal acts, especially when I'm not even sure it's going to work. I get real testy when interrupted on a project with suggestions from a well-intentioned but clueless do-gooder.
Old 11-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I get real testy when interrupted on a project with suggestions from a well-intentioned but clueless do-gooder.
All I'll say is "me too".

Your projects are also shaped like mine. First an idea, then a look through the "junk too good to throw out" box. For example the pieces of plastic for my two panels were both ones sitting in my misc. plastic scrap box for about 30 years. No cutting or design required.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 02:47 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
All I'll say is "me too".

Your projects are also shaped like mine. First an idea, then a look through the "junk too good to throw out" box. For example the pieces of plastic for my two panels were both ones sitting in my misc. plastic scrap box for about 30 years. No cutting or design required.

Ron
Also keep many items which I find useful later . Might be years later . One was a 6 ft window being thrown away from a job . Years later after I hauled it home it ended up going on the studio I built . In my younger years going down the streets on trash day picked up lots , some sold , some used , sometimes installed and helped someone else out . Like a thrown out screen door installed for a family who needed one and couldn’t afford one. They didn’t have a screen door and a German Shepard started to come in .Picked up thrown out tile , made many tables , some of those also sold .
Also even when I am on a course to do something always will take suggestions. I don’t know everything and always want to learn . If it isn’t something I can use that’s ok , I still will listen and appreciate them trying to help . Pat
Attached Thumbnails
ED19F9D4-9FC1-4FC9-A6B8-FE12BF9FE255.jpg   0105B43E-065B-4DBF-8819-CC347C8FD9B8.jpg   233DD062-45AB-4788-B66D-D38C84D5AFE8.jpg   59BC72EA-4CCD-4773-B282-AE926A0953BE.jpg  
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 07:00 PM   #30

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
I have a file in the back of my mind of stuff I have around. When I had my aframe I did a lot of storage mods just keeping the problem running in the background of my mind and trying to match existing stuff to solutions. I figured out how to configure the cushions for a narrow bed and a hanging shelf that was easy to put up and take down. Some of those projects are used in the escape, but it is well designed and has lots of storage that aside from the elfa in the wardrobe, I’m mostly just tinkering. It is a considerable part of my enjoyment of a trailer.

Greg, are there pics somewhere here of your bunks? I’d really like to see what you did.
Old 11-07-2019, 07:28 PM   #31

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I can’t recall if the pvc bunk beds are on here, but I did find the original posting.
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/pvc-pipe-bunk-bed
We also did closet shelves using the pvc pipe in the 17b which also were easily removed if you didn’t want them.
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/closet-shelves
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 09:26 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Thanks—that’s very cool. I think the pvc aisle at Home Depot is like tinker toys. Lots of things for my aframe started there.
Old 11-08-2019, 11:59 AM   #33

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
I can’t recall if the pvc bunk beds are on here, but I did find the original posting.
https://www.scampowners.com/forums/pvc-pipe-bunk-bed
Excellent!
We have Grandbabies and want them to come camping and I had already bought a bunch of PVC pipes and elbows, etc.
This crystalizes what is attainable.
Thank you.
Old 11-08-2019, 12:29 PM   #34

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
medicine cabinet shelf guard

Here's yet another medicine cabinet shelf guard.

I started with 2 drawer dividers and cut them with a bandsaw. I was considering attaching them with double-sided tape, but haven't -- they fit snugly, seem to stay in place, and it's nice to remove them to clean.

Bill R
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_0333_crop.jpg   DSC_0331_crop.jpg   DSC_0332_crop.jpg  
Bill R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:50 PM   #35

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill R View Post
Here's yet another medicine cabinet shelf guard.

I started with 2 drawer dividers and cut them with a bandsaw. I was considering attaching them with double-sided tape, but haven't -- they fit snugly, seem to stay in place, and it's nice to remove them to clean.

Bill R
I LIKE IT!!!
Old 12-03-2020, 05:24 PM   #36

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
We don't like the cabinet hinge on the left, since it catches the curtain all the time. Has anyone taken their cabinet off, rotated it 180 degrees and reinstalled, so the hinge is on the left?

Thanks,

Perry