A new table for our new 21 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-25-2015, 12:19 PM   #1

Trailer: April 2015, 21 classic
A new table for our new 21

When we ordered our 21footer last fall, I requested that the table not be installed but to just supply the pieces for me to deal with later. I was not sure the supplied ETI table shape would work for us in several aspects. While the table was large, it’s shape and look was somewhat reminiscent of a cafeteria look. Sure I could have put a tablecloth over it, but on a daily basis, that would get old. Plus the size would not allow as much room to sit sideways with ones feet up on the cushions, which was one of the reasons we upgraded to the u shaped dinette. And If I was going to relocate the bases, I didn’t want to drill any more holes in the floor than needed. In the design and building process I discovered a few things. It’s about the journey, not the destination, right!

The table I envisioned would be primarily designed for two with an occasional 3rd or 4th person. Plus, if I could move the table back a few inches, even though it would be on sliders for sideways movement, it would be even easier to get in and out for one or two. For 3 or 4 people the table would need to be in a forward position. So how to move the table back a few inches and then forward to accommodate a guest in the back seat position? I offset the slider base and made the table symmetrical. With several trial sittings, I determined a 2-inch offset with the smaller profile table was all it took to make the setup work. That makes a total table position forward and aft difference of 4 inches. Believe it or not the table is the same size as the one supplied by ETI as far as the maximum length and width, with pleasing yet functional radiuses on all edges. I estimate the table is about 85% of its original surface area. I discovered in my mockups that with the table legs in the fore and aft position, the table would tip, rock up and down on the short edges the two of us were eating on. I didn’t like that! But I also noticed the table was more stable in the other direction, on the long edges. The table bases acted like a parallelogram in its movement, stayed level, but no seesawing. So why not turn the legs 90 degrees and get a more stable eating edge for the two of us? It worked and the foot room was not compromised as far as I can tell. In fact we can play footsies better now!

So here are photos of the original and the solid oak top I made. You can still see the temporary plywood base just before the final screw down and the table is still getting a few more coats of finish. All in all I am very pleased with the results and the oak table nicely matches the oak cabinets, though it appears brighter in the photograph. Being solid oak it is a little heaver than the plywood ETI supplied one, but not enough that I am concerned. The 2-inch offset is hard to detect visually but is very definite when one is sitting and eating from the short side. Then when guests will invariably arrive, I will just pick the table up, turn it 180 degree, and place it back on the bases. But most days the table will be in the aft position so I can put my feet up on the back of the dinette cushions, relax and contemplate my next destination and or mod while sipping an appropriate beverage.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1171 2.jpg   IMG_1167 2.jpg   IMG_1172.jpg  
Patrol35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 12:35 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Very nice! What wood finish did you use?
Old 05-25-2015, 12:55 PM   #3

Well, it called a water based poly from Minwax, semi gloss. It is easy to use and water proof. Its repairable and easily duplicated. The key is scuff or level sanding between coats. I know there are lots of finishes out there that could each take up their own thread. In the end, this one works for me.
And, BTW, the short edge has a radius, it is just much shorter than the long edge, and is not very visible in the photos. But it is noticeable and pleasing to my eye and functional when sitting there, yet gives up very little real estate.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Wow, it is amazing to me the difference that a minor shape change can make to the table. The wood top is of course very beautiful, but I think the rounded edges give it an updated more stylish feel. Great job!
Jill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 01:59 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrol35 View Post
When we ordered our 21footer last fall, I requested that the table not be installed but to just supply the pieces for me to deal with later. I was not sure the supplied ETI table shape would work for us in several aspects. While the table was large, it’s shape and look was somewhat reminiscent of a cafeteria look. Sure I could have put a tablecloth over it, but on a daily basis, that would get old. Plus the size would not allow as much room to sit sideways with ones feet up on the cushions, which was one of the reasons we upgraded to the u shaped dinette. And If I was going to relocate the bases, I didn’t want to drill any more holes in the floor than needed. In the design and building process I discovered a few things. It’s about the journey, not the destination, right!

The table I envisioned would be primarily designed for two with an occasional 3rd or 4th person. Plus, if I could move the table back a few inches, even though it would be on sliders for sideways movement, it would be even easier to get in and out for one or two. For 3 or 4 people the table would need to be in a forward position. So how to move the table back a few inches and then forward to accommodate a guest in the back seat position? I offset the slider base and made the table symmetrical. With several trial sittings, I determined a 2-inch offset with the smaller profile table was all it took to make the setup work. That makes a total table position forward and aft difference of 4 inches. Believe it or not the table is the same size as the one supplied by ETI as far as the maximum length and width, with pleasing yet functional radiuses on all edges. I estimate the table is about 85% of its original surface area. I discovered in my mockups that with the table legs in the fore and aft position, the table would tip, rock up and down on the short edges the two of us were eating on. I didn’t like that! But I also noticed the table was more stable in the other direction, on the long edges. The table bases acted like a parallelogram in its movement, stayed level, but no seesawing. So why not turn the legs 90 degrees and get a more stable eating edge for the two of us? It worked and the foot room was not compromised as far as I can tell. In fact we can play footsies better now!

So here are photos of the original and the solid oak top I made. You can still see the temporary plywood base just before the final screw down and the table is still getting a few more coats of finish. All in all I am very pleased with the results and the oak table nicely matches the oak cabinets, though it appears brighter in the photograph. Being solid oak it is a little heaver than the plywood ETI supplied one, but not enough that I am concerned. The 2-inch offset is hard to detect visually but is very definite when one is sitting and eating from the short side. Then when guests will invariably arrive, I will just pick the table up, turn it 180 degree, and place it back on the bases. But most days the table will be in the aft position so I can put my feet up on the back of the dinette cushions, relax and contemplate my next destination and or mod while sipping an appropriate beverage.
really looks nice especially installing the legs as you did.
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Agree with Jill, I like it. Nice work.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

Trailer: Escape 21' 2016
Well! This is beautiful! You did a fabulous job, and very creative. You must be a mathematician? Builder? Architect? Nice job.
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Carla Jean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 02:35 PM   #8

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Patrol35

with pleasing yet functional radiuses on all edges..[/QUOTE]

Nice work.

Yep, it's amazing how much radiused edges can make a utilitarian straight edge more pleasing to the eye.

Water based minwax poly, love it, was skeptical of it at first but it's really stood the test of time.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:16 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Looks nice. So how does your modified table shape work when you wish to make the seating area into a bed?

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 03:53 PM   #10

Plan B is to make the filler boards out of some 5/8-inch plywood I have in the shop. The simple description is to cut two pieces to fill the gap and join them with a full-length piano hinge that I have from some other project. That way they can be folded up and stored away more neatly. They might even fit under one of the seats of the dinette or the bed at least. I anticipate gluing/screwing a ¾ inch-strengthening piece on each end that has to span the gap unsupported so the boards bows less. Sand it and poly it and call it a day. KISS is my plan.