A Standard 80" Queen Will NOT Fit In Our 5.0! - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2021, 02:19 PM   #1

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
A Standard 80" Queen Will NOT Fit In Our 5.0!

The mattress in our 5.0 is no longer working for me. I have a touchy left hip and need something better. We were all set to purchase a Saatva mattress tomorrow in St Paul and bring it 125 miles home. Yesterday Terry's son and I went down to the camper, removed the mattress, and unloaded it upright in our condo garage stall.

Today I noticed one end of the mattress is beveled so it's longer at the top. For jollies I decided to measure the mattress. It's 78" long on top and 76" on the floor bottom side. WTH! It's supposed to be a standard queen mattress!

Using Wayback Machine I went back to 2018 only to find ETI didn't advertise the mattress as a "standard queen", but instead use "Queen size 8″ Coil Mattress", so I can't blame Escape. That's what ass u me will do for you.

I then went down to our camper and measured the carpeted floor where the mattress will sit and found it's 78.5" or 1.5" short of a full queen. You can't hang the mattress over the edge because it sits inside the short outside walls. There is no way we're going to squish that mattress in that space, besides the front end condenses water from our breath, so many mornings we wipe the end dry. We need that extra room so we don't get mold and if we have to squish the new mattress how will we be able to wipe that end dry

We've tried mattress toppers and they just don't work for us.

Now we will be looking for either a short queen or have a custom mattress made. Friends of ours have a Sleep Number short queen in their Airstream, and Ed is 6' 3" (I'm 5' 9" and getting shorter).

What have others done, besides mattress toppers?

Thanks,

Perry
Old 11-28-2021, 02:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
People don’t realize how much thought it takes to design a trailer. I am sure they could have made the trailer so it fits a standard mattress. Then Escape and everyone else would not be stuck with paying for something custom.

Proper sleep when camping is everything to us. That is why so many RVs did not make the cut with their RV size beds. Their small beds don’t mean we become small when we go camping.

I am in the process of building a trailer from the ground up for my daughter that has been 6 months in design. Something for her to camp in which better than a tent. I started with the standard queen size bed and worked from there.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Perry, you might try talking to these folks

https://www.mattressinsider.com/

they have many 'standard' sizes (which are not actually 'industry standard' sizes) with several types of construction (all foam and innerspring / hybrid) available which qualify for their 'no-loss' trial policy.

They also will customize, but then the 'no-loss' trial policy does not apply.

My challenge is finding a mattress that's innerspring and very firm with little or no 'cushion top' to my preference (think old-school xtra-firm 'tight-top' flip-able innerspring mattress, alas no longer found in the marketplace).

Discussing this with Mattress Insider, they forthrightly suggested the approach of ordering their firmest innerspring 'standard' mattress - then, if it was 'close but not quite firm enough', get the full refund under the trial policy and order another with custom extra coils to firm it up a bit more (an option not mentioned on the website, which adds no cost to the 'standard' innerspring mattress). Or, of course, if it wasn't close to my liking, just opt for the 'no-loss' refund and move on. Just for your consideration, discussing options with them was informative if nothing else.

No, I have not yet pulled the trigger on doing business with Mattress Insider, I'm still shopping and considering.

For myself, I can be quite happy with a "full" size mattress (54" x 75" industry standard size), which will comfortably fit either long-wise or cross-wise in my 5.0. But yeah, I realize many folks need the width of a 'queen'. I'm finding that the current trend to very thick mattresses is another challenge for this application.

Good luck in your search for the perfect mattress, mine continues ...
Old 11-28-2021, 05:59 PM   #4

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
Thanks for sharing your experience and detailed measurements Perry. Before reading your post I had contemplated deleting the ETI mattress and using a standard full size mattress of my own choosing due to past problems with inner spring mattresses. Now it's a for sure thing! In addition to choosing a mattress that fits my personal comfort needs, it will be just a little easier to change bedding too!
Old 11-28-2021, 06:08 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
Is that the RV queen size that I read about ?
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 06:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
Is that the RV queen size that I read about ?
FWIW there's this: Sleep Foundation - RV Mattress Sizes.

The bottom line seems to be that RV mattresses are whatever name and size the manufacturer elects
Old 11-28-2021, 07:15 PM   #7

Trailer: 2018 Escape 5.0 TA
Perry - we received our 2018 just a few months before you (September) if I remember correctly. We ordered ours without a mattress and put in a Tuft & Needle queen within days. It does not hang over the edge of the platform and we have a strip of hypervent at the head.
MikeS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:52 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 E-19
Perry, I feel your pain. I like the mattress in our 19 so much that I contacted ETI and asked who makes it. The response I got was quick...but I never followed up as shipping to AZ would probably cost as much as the mattress.
In any event, here's the info I received from the mattress folks:
Jada Leavitt

3307 – 6 Ave North
Lethbridge, AB T1H 5C1
P: 403-328-3800 Ext:25
E: jleavitt@ducanindustries.com
W: www.ducanindustries.com

Good luck!

Jon in AZ (not that exceptionally knowledgable guy from NY, another one)
Melusine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 08:49 PM   #9

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 and a less than thrilled 2017 Tacoma dragging it around the countryside
I've been buying and sleeping on custom foam mattresses virtually my entire adult life. A good custom foam shop should stock mattress quality foam in several sizes, thicknesses, firmness levels and warranty levels ($), presumably relating to the foam quality. They will cut the foam into any size, shape or shapes you desire: think folding, upholstered futon mattresses for one example. My last purchase was for my 2019 E21, 6" thick, medium warranty, cut to order for the trailer mattress space (thin, long, with the corner removed). If memory serves correct (a dubious concept at this point) I paid in the range of $500 U.S. for that one.

Is it too many people or not enough beach?
rjreeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:06 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
We bought a queen size Sleep Inovations Marley from Amazon. We removed the cover and trimmed it down with an electric knife to fit the 21’. Replace the cover and used some bed sheet holder straps to trap the excess cover underneath. The trim was a bit rough but was not visible with cover replaced.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 09:57 PM   #11

For the past 15 years we've had a Sleep Number at home and love it. Instead of weighing 110+ lbs, like the mattresses we've been considering, it's around 40 lbs, or slightly lighter than the ETI supplied mattress, doesn't get hard like memory foam, and has a real warranty. Does anyone here have a Sleep Number?

If all I needed was a hard, then there are many to choose from, but I need a medium at best for my hip, since I'm a side sleeper. Because we often come back to the camper in below 35 degree weather at night memory foam is out. BTDT.

In Minnesota we have the Original Mattress Company to make a custom size, and if we want a medium, short (75" long) it quickly gets to $1,000, so may as well get another Sleep Number at $1,299. Still open for advice though. An upscale mattress for me is mandatory. I don't buy cheap shoes either.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-28-2021, 10:43 PM   #12
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
The mattress in my 21 classic is actually "Full XL", except one bottom corner is cut off, and the opposite upper corner is radiused. Full XL fitted mattress covers and bottom sheets fit it perfectly, and we use a comforter in a duvet rather than a top sheet plus blankets (makes it much easier to climb out of bed in the middle of the night)

anyways, most towns have a local mattress company, the good ones work with latex foams, and these guys can build any size/shape/density mattress you want. For example, in my town, we have https://www.baybed.com/
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 06:36 AM   #13

Trailer: A future 5.0, 2024 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
An upscale mattress for me is mandatory. I don't buy cheap shoes either.
As my ultra frugal grandfather once told me, "Don't skimp on your shoes or you bed, you spend 1/2 of your life in one and 1/2 of it in the other." We also have a Sleep Number, a must when the two sharing the bed have very different needs. Never thought about using one in an Escape, but why not?
Clearwater Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 07:55 AM   #14

Trailer: April 2016 21' "Ramble On"
We installed the Froli "Star" box spring system a few years back in our 21' (https://nickleatlantic.com/collections/star). Before that, we always felt that the bed was too firm as the mattress just lays on a sheet of plywood.

I liked the Froli system because you can customize the shape to fit the mattress footprint (the 21' has the rounded corner). You can also customize how firm you want it to be. Also, the system provides some air space under the mattress which takes care of any condensation concerns.

With the addition of a good mattress topper, our Escape bed is now as comfortable as home. YMMV.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:50 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
For the past 15 years we've had a Sleep Number at home and love it. Instead of weighing 110+ lbs, like the mattresses we've been considering, it's around 40 lbs, or slightly lighter than the ETI supplied mattress, doesn't get hard like memory foam, and has a real warranty. Does anyone here have a Sleep Number?

If all I needed was a hard, then there are many to choose from, but I need a medium at best for my hip, since I'm a side sleeper. Because we often come back to the camper in below 35 degree weather at night memory foam is out. BTDT.

In Minnesota we have the Original Mattress Company to make a custom size, and if we want a medium, short (75" long) it quickly gets to $1,000, so may as well get another Sleep Number at $1,299. Still open for advice though. An upscale mattress for me is mandatory. I don't buy cheap shoes either.

Enjoy,

Perry
Yes I have a Sleep Number queen in my 5.0, it fits perfectly and I love it. In fact I bought it in Minnesota, at the Duluth Sleep Number store, when we were camp hosting there a few years ago. It worked in a previous trailer, then in our guest room for a while, and now in my Escape. The only downside that I can think of is having the pump and electrical wires on the side of the bed (normally they would be stored under a bed), but it doesn't bother me...I think the advantages of the Sleep Number far outweigh that small disadvantage. In the RV version they have an R3 and an R5, we got the R5: https://www.sleepnumber.com/products/r5
Old 11-29-2021, 05:28 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by TahoeJoe View Post
Yes I have a Sleep Number queen in my 5.0, it fits perfectly and I love it. In fact I bought it in Minnesota, at the Duluth Sleep Number store, when we were camp hosting there a few years ago. It worked in a previous trailer, then in our guest room for a while, and now in my Escape. The only downside that I can think of is having the pump and electrical wires on the side of the bed (normally they would be stored under a bed), but it doesn't bother me...I think the advantages of the Sleep Number far outweigh that small disadvantage. In the RV version they have an R3 and an R5, we got the R5: https://www.sleepnumber.com/products/r5
How could a Sleep Number work with a 21’ with the odd cut corner and radius other corner? We have California King SN at home.

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 08:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 2012 E19
We've had a Cal King Select Comfort mattress that we bought back when they were just starting to push the 'sleep number' thing. We didn't get the controls with numerical readouts. The bed has held up well for a long time... not sure how long, but I think 17 or 18 years. We got a basic model and are on our third foam topper (first two were memory foam, current one is latex).

When I get an Escape, my thought is to try a Froli with a latex topper. I like the idea of that air space underneath.

Do sleep number beds need to be deflated a bit extra before driving into the mountains? Just wondering.
Old 11-29-2021, 08:46 PM   #18

Trailer: 5.0 TA Delivered 4/7/22
so do you use queen size sheets on the 5.0 mattress? I would think the top sheet would hang down too far as would a comforter?
Old 11-29-2021, 10:30 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike G View Post
We've had a Cal King Select Comfort mattress that we bought back when they were just starting to push the 'sleep number' thing. We didn't get the controls with numerical readouts. The bed has held up well for a long time... not sure how long, but I think 17 or 18 years. We got a basic model and are on our third foam topper (first two were memory foam, current one is latex).

Do sleep number beds need to be deflated a bit extra before driving into the mountains? Just wondering.
We purchased our Cali King Select Comfort in 2006 and it's still a wonderful bed. We purchased a 4000, next to the cheapest, but looking at Sleep Number today the basic bed has a much better top.

Our friends don't deflate their RV Sleep Number when they go over mountain passes, but have to readjust their sleep number whenever they change elevation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skiman View Post
How could a Sleep Number work with a 21’ with the odd cut corner and radius other corner? We have California King SN at home.
First you need to find out how long is the existing 21 bed.
Our 5.0 was not "standard" length. You can get their standard bed with radius corners, but the corner at the entry would not be cut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sofmerc View Post
so do you use queen size sheets on the 5.0 mattress? I would think the top sheet would hang down too far as would a comforter?
Our 5.0 mattress is 78.5" long in the top. We didn't even realize it was not quite a "standard" queen. All our sheets and comforters fit just fine.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 11-29-2021, 10:34 PM   #20

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I too wonder about air mattress with temp and elevation changes. I have “heard” of some popping from fellow RVers, but not specifically Sleep number. We do have the Froli travel system, and a 2” firm latex topper. We sleep well.