Accumulator Installation - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-20-2019, 11:44 AM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Accumulator Installation

There was a recent thread about quieting a water pump that sort of wandered around into batteries and all manner of things, so I thought I'd start a new topic dedicated to the accumulator (at least in the beginning).

I just installed a Shurflo accumulator in our 19. "SHURFLO Black 182-200 Accumulator Tank" available through Amazon and others. I opted to plug one side (vertical stub on the left) and install it into a tee in the line as shown, rather than trying to fit it in series. This is covered in their instructions. Vertical orientation should help drain it when winterizing. I'm starting off with about 40 psi in it.

I used SharkBite connectors, including the really cool swivel connectors on both sides of the accumulator. Mounting to the structure was easy since ETI conveniently placed those two supports where they did.

In the background you can also see the three-way valve that I use to pull anti-freeze into the plumbing each year.

All for now. Happy trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Accumulator Installation.jpg  
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Many of us have done that mod. and it's well worth doing. Nice to be able to get a little water without having to turn on the pump. For those of us who turn off the pump between uses.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0016_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 12:54 PM   #3

What sort of air pressure do you try to keep in the accumulator?
Old 09-20-2019, 01:18 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
I did mine quite awhile ago. The installation instructions did say what the pressure should be. I don't remember what pressure I put in it but it was less than the max pressure. Worked really well and never felt the need to do anything to it after that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 01:37 PM   #5

I didn't see that, but I'll have another look. Too much pressure and it won't hold as much water; too little and it won't push as much water back into the system.
Old 09-20-2019, 01:55 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Says to set accumulator pressure equal to pump cut-in (turn on) pressure which for most of us with Shurflo 4008 pumps is 40 PSI. Irrelevant to setting the accumulator but Shurflo pump cut-out is 55 PSI.
Attached Thumbnails
shurflo 182-200.JPG  
Old 09-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #7

Oh, excellent! I took it to my garage and pumped it up to 40 psi with a bike pump before installing it. I like the way they explain it. Thanks for posting that.
Old 09-20-2019, 02:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
There was a recent thread about quieting a water pump that sort of wandered around into batteries and all manner of things, so I thought I'd start a new topic dedicated to the accumulator (at least in the beginning).

I just installed a Shurflo accumulator in our 19. "SHURFLO Black 182-200 Accumulator Tank" available through Amazon and others. I opted to plug one side (vertical stub on the left) and install it into a tee in the line as shown, rather than trying to fit it in series. This is covered in their instructions. Vertical orientation should help drain it when winterizing. I'm starting off with about 40 psi in it.

I used SharkBite connectors, including the really cool swivel connectors on both sides of the accumulator. Mounting to the structure was easy since ETI conveniently placed those two supports where they did.

In the background you can also see the three-way valve that I use to pull anti-freeze into the plumbing each year.

You’ve been busy ! You will be very happy with your new setup ! Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 02:14 PM   #9

Quote:
Oh, excellent! I took it to my garage and pumped it up to 40 psi with a bike pump before installing it. I like the way they explain it. Thanks for posting that.
From your picture it looks like you have an Artis pump not a Shurflo but the specs should be pretty close. If anything your cut-in pressure might be slightly lower. The accumulator charge should be fine at 40 PSI, but to be certain you can always search your exact model number online and find the specs.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:04 PM   #10

Trailer: 2022 on order
Want to be Sure about Sureflo placement ;-)

Quote:

Thanks for your post. I have the same accumulator for my E19 and want to be sure I place it properly. Can you chime in? My setup looks a little different that yours, probably because my E19 is a bit newer.

Could I install it in line here: (See attached picture)
Attached Thumbnails
sureflo.jpg  
TWebs46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 02:49 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWebs46 View Post
Thanks for your post. I have the same accumulator for my E19 and want to be sure I place it properly. Can you chime in? My setup looks a little different that yours, probably because my E19 is a bit newer.

Could I install it in line here: (See attached picture)
Not Parker, but where you show it would be fine. Accumulators can be anywhere on the positively pressurized side of the pump. Near the pump is good practice. They can be piped inline with the water line passing through or off a tee with one end of the accumulator capped. They can be mounted in any position as well with the caveat that for best winterizing/sanitizing it is suggested that the charging valve faces up.
Old 12-02-2022, 02:54 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Not Parker, but where you show it would be fine. Accumulators can be anywhere on the positively pressurized side of the pump. Near the pump is good practice. They can be piped inline with the water line passing through or off a tee with one end of the accumulator capped. They can be mounted in any position as well with the caveat that for best winterizing/sanitizing it is suggested that the charging valve faces up.

Thanks very much.. It's always good to be sure.

Tom
Old 12-02-2022, 02:58 PM   #13

Trailer: 2021 Escape E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
MarkinVan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 07:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinVan View Post
And I agree! Try to make it easy on yourself when it comes time to check the pressure. I considered putting mine in series, but it was easier to do it the way the photo shows in my case.
Old 12-02-2022, 10:09 PM   #15

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:

The three-way valve for antifreeze is a great idea - I removed the antifreeze intake hose and accompanying paraphernalia that Escape installed in our 21 NE The photo shows the six connection points between the hose coming from the tank and the strainer for the Shurflo pump. I used a SharkBite 90 degree elbow to connect the intake hose (from the water tank) to the strainer for the pump. I plan on using air pressure rather than antifreeze for winterization. Notice the kinks in the antifreeze intake hose as it was installed by Escape.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4707 (3).jpeg  
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:27 PM   #16

And I used WAGO connectors to replace the inadequate butt connectors, with poor crimps.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BLHD9L33...roduct_details
Old 12-03-2022, 12:35 AM   #17

I used some 1/4" plywood I had lying around and picked up two corner braces at Menards to mount our accumulator - photos attached. Luck would have it that a knowledgeable employee at a local hardware store in Woodbury offered to help me pick out some fasteners and spent 15 to 20 minutes more than I had planned to sort out what else I needed for a few other projects. He owns a large Jayco. We started to chat about lithium batteries, solar panels and plans to boondock. The store has a much better selection of fasteners than any big box store I've seen - metric, English, stainless steel, specialty, etcetera. Well organized and labelled stock in pull-out drawers. A good find!

Has anyone used the hoses from the Shurflo pump silencing kit for their accumulator and/or pump?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 shown in the photos?

I'm thinking of using at least one of the hoses from the kit to connect the accumulator tank to the pump. They should allow some flexibility as to where I might mount the accumulator inside the trailer. And the hose might tone down the noise? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4710 (1).jpeg   IMG_4711.jpeg  
Old 12-03-2022, 12:59 AM   #18

Trailer: Scamp 19, Tradewinds 24, Escape 5.0
We used the silencing kit hoses and it was an easy install. I don’t know if it was better than without the hoses, but it is certainly better than it was before. Easy simple improvement.
Keith3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 08:49 AM   #19

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
I used those hoses. NPT stuff leaked due to thread differences.

Post 31

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...e-21759-2.html
Old 12-03-2022, 11:34 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by DGLP View Post
I used some 1/4" plywood I had lying around and picked up two corner braces at Menards to mount our accumulator - photos attached. Luck would have it that a knowledgeable employee at a local hardware store in Woodbury offered to help me pick out some fasteners and spent 15 to 20 minutes more than I had planned to sort out what else I needed for a few other projects. He owns a large Jayco. We started to chat about lithium batteries, solar panels and plans to boondock. The store has a much better selection of fasteners than any big box store I've seen - metric, English, stainless steel, specialty, etcetera. Well organized and labelled stock in pull-out drawers. A good find!

Has anyone used the hoses from the Shurflo pump silencing kit for their accumulator and/or pump?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 shown in the photos?

I'm thinking of using at least one of the hoses from the kit to connect the accumulator tank to the pump. They should allow some flexibility as to where I might mount the accumulator inside the trailer. And the hose might tone down the noise? Any thoughts are appreciated.

Cheers,
Darrell

Thanks, Darrell.

I just took a look and this will be a very easy install with my setup. Just ordered them.

Tom