Add Microwave Oven - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 12-13-2022, 05:44 PM   #1
DT6

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C; 2018 Escape 19 (sold in 2022)
Add Microwave Oven

We want to add a microwave to our new 21C in the upper cabinet to the right of the fridge, where ETI installed the outlet for it, but I have a few questions:

- It looks like only 700W microwaves will fit. Is there a more powerful one that fits?
- What do people do to anchor the microwave in place? Or do you?
- I have 210Ah of Lithium batteries. A 700W microwave should work fine with the stock 1500W inverter?

The opening is 15" deep (actually deeper, but a vent pipe may get in the way) by 18.5" wide, by 11.5" tall

Thanks!
DT6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 06:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
We added a microwave just after purchasing so I could use the cabinet door elsewhere.
Here is what I did in this link:
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post266564

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2022, 07:07 PM   #3
DT6

It looks like you used the metal strapping on the bottom. Did you anchor them in back and then feed the strip through some kind of slot in the bottom of the microwave, and then secure the front with screws topped with the button cover?
Old 12-13-2022, 09:27 PM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
The front feet were screwed on to the bottom so I used those two holes to attach the strap. I did not like the smallish sheet metal screws so I used my own machines screws with lock washers and nuts. To do that I removed the top cover. That should only be done if you are certain that you know what you are doing. Just because it is unplugged does not mean that the guts are not holding a lethal charge. The front of the tabs are simply screwed into the front of the self that has wood behind.
That is what I did but I am sure there are other ways and brackets you could use or just larger screws in the front feet holes.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 10:15 AM   #5

Trailer: 2021 21NE
I ordered a 21NE microwave ready with a door but without a microwave with the idea of buying an inverter microwave. When I picked up the trailer I discovered the space for the microwave was too small for what I was thinking. I bought a small microwave that would fit.

When I removed the door I discovered I now had screw holes in the paneling and a door that I had no use for. Poor planning on my part.

I cut a piece of thin plywood to fit the bottom of the microwave space. Then I mounted the microwave to the plywood and slid the plywood with microwave into place and screwed the front of the plywood down to the enclosure. I had cut 2 notches in the back edge of the plywood that slid under the head of 2 pan head screws I had placed at the back of the enclosure. In effect, this uses 4 hidden screws to hold the microwave in place. The front screws are placed through the plywood into the bottom of the enclosure under the door. When the microwave door is open the screws can be removed and the microwave slid out for replacement or service. I could have cut the plywood shorter so it is recessed into the cabinet a little.

I like the looks of Eggscape's front mount. Maybe a combination of the two would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Microwave  Trailer.jpg  
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2022, 02:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
When the interior lamp burned out in my stock microwave (the replacement lamp was more $ than a new 700 watt microwave) I replaced it with a Panasonic Genius Prestige NN-SD372S Microwave Oven. This is a 950 watt inverter microwave. I had to widen the opening 1/2" for it to fit.

The inverter technology lets you "dial" down the wattage when the batteries are low and does a much better job of defrosting.
Old 12-15-2022, 10:47 AM   #7
DT6

I ended up taking an approach similar to what BobG described. I purchased a 28" square 3/4" piece of plywood, and a 0.7cu ft 700W Mainstays microwave from Walmart (I put the receipt in a small plastic bag and taped it to the back of the microwave in case I need to return it). I also purchased a set of straps to tie the microwave down.

I then cut the plywood to 18.5" wide and deep enough to cover the footprint of the microwave, and then checked to ensure the cut piece would fit through the opening. Then I cut four holes in the side of the plywood (two on each side of where the microwave would sit) so the straps could fit through and just looped them through the holes, under the plywood, and over the microwave, and tied it down. I used a drill to rough out the four holes, then a small hand saw blade, and finally sandpaper to smooth it out.

The last step was to drill four pilot holes through the underside of the microwave cabinet and use 3/4" screws to secure the plywood bottom of the microwave to the bottom of the microwave cabinet.

I tested the microwave indoors before installing and it appears to work very well. Not as powerful as the one in our home, but it heated up a cup of water for tea in about 2 minutes, so it works well enough. Total cost was $75. $55 for the microwave, $15 for the piece of plywood, and $5 for the straps (Husky from Home Depot). You can add $6 if you want the Walmart 2-year service agreement on the microwave.
Old 12-15-2022, 11:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2022 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
- I have 210Ah of Lithium batteries. A 700W microwave should work fine with the stock 1500W inverter?
Yes, we’ve run the microwave and a 600w mini kuerig at the same time no problems. Even added a 400w space heater into the mix and it all runs for over 30 seconds. The inverter will beep if it’s being overloaded and shutdown is imminent.

I’m fairly impressed with the go power inverter.
splitting_lanes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 06:47 PM   #9
DT6

During our most recent trip two weeks ago I discovered that my microwave setup was not completely ideal with respect to road vibrations. After a particularly rough and bumpy section of highway construction I opened the microwave cabinet at our next stop and immediately saw that the straps I used were not enough.

The microwave (an inexpensive Walmart "Mainstays" 750W) had slid forward toward the cabinet door and had almost come free of the straps. When we got home I removed the microwave and its mounting board from the cabinet. Then picked up some heavy duty velcro (I also could have used some heavy adhesive like marine caulking, etc).

I placed velcro on each of the four feet of the microwave. Previously I had done nothing to secure the "feet" of the microwave, and because of this on the bumpy roads it had gradually hopped its way toward the door and off the plywood, despite the hold-down straps.

By using the velcro AND the hold-down straps, I've added quite a bit of friction to the feet by using the velcro. Once it is strapped down, the velcro should be enough to kept it from hopping or sliding on bumpy roads. I also used a small piece of velcro on each of the straps going around the microwave. I used the new picture hanging velcro (very thin) and placed one on each strap along the top where there is a very good mounting surface. The velcro on the feet is probably enough, but the velcro on the straps is just double insurance.

So anyone looking to do what I did, please implement something that will permanently or semi-permanently attach the microwave feet to the plywood mounting board. Also note that the plywood mounting board needs to be screwed in place from underneath the shelf and I used four appropriate sized screws to do this. I like the fact that we can still close the door on the cabinet and don't have to look at the microwave. By placing the microwave back from the door, you create enough space to store something in front of it. For us it is a great place to put paper towels or a package of TP (anything that you must take on your trip that will fit, but is also easy to move out of the way).

Now I'm very confident that this will hold well and I won't have to be concerned with it in the future.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3932.jpg   IMG_3935.jpg   IMG_3936.jpg   IMG_3938.jpg  
Old 01-10-2023, 07:05 PM   #10

This is what I did. It is easy to do and secure. You can see the plywood mentioned under the microwave. I varnished it.
  1. Cut a piece of 1/4" or 6mm plywood the size of the floor of the cabinet.
  2. Screw 2x 3/4" #8 pan head wood screws or machine screws into the floor of the cabinet near the back.
  3. Cut 2 notches out of the plywood so when the plywood slides into the cabinet the notches align with the 2 screws. Adjust the screws up or down so the head of the screws hold the plywood down against the floor of the cabinet.
  4. Pull the plywood out and mount the microwave to the plywood with 4 screws, 1 at each foot.
  5. Plug the microwave in and slide it into place.
  6. Open the door of the microwave and drive 2x #6 or #8 screws through the 1/4" plywood into the bottom of the floor of the cabinet below the microwave door.
The microwave will not go anywhere and can be slid out by opening the microwave door and removing the 2 screws in the front.
Attached Thumbnails
Microwave  Trailer.jpg  
Old 01-10-2023, 08:26 PM   #11

Trailer: 2022 21C + 2021 F-150 PowerBoost 4x4
During transport, we just use a couple tension rods with a throw pillow between the rods and the microwave to hold it firmly in place and give it some cushion. Works for us.
YakRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2023, 09:01 PM   #12
DT6

Tension rods are a good idea as well. I would have screwed the microwave feet onto the plywood like Bob G did, but there was not much to work with in that regard with the Walmart MainStay microwave. The feet on the Walmart model are just stamped into the metal base so getting a screw to go into it would be a challenge and I also did not feel comfortable removing the metal base. I looked it over for a long time as my preferred solution was what Bob did.

So in instances where it may not be practical to actually screw the microwave down, one of these alternative methods will also work.
Old 01-11-2023, 07:59 AM   #13

Trailer: 2021 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by DT6 View Post
Tension rods are a good idea as well. I would have screwed the microwave feet onto the plywood like Bob G did, but there was not much to work with in that regard with the Walmart MainStay microwave. The feet on the Walmart model are just stamped into the metal base so getting a screw to go into it would be a challenge and I also did not feel comfortable removing the metal base. I looked it over for a long time as my preferred solution was what Bob did.

So in instances where it may not be practical to actually screw the microwave down, one of these alternative methods will also work.
I’ve put in a few stovetop microwaves in homes where previously there wasn’t an original one.
A couple of times top mounts weren’t going to happen, I went through the cabinets on either sides with self tapping metal screws. There’s plenty of soft spots on the microwave to hit. You don’t have to go deep into the sides of the microwave and can use a couple of washers to adjust the depth. It wouldn’t take much as the feet on a shelf mount are already solid.
Ooshkaboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 09:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We ordered our Escape 19 without a microwave over 2 years ago, with the expectation that we would decide after using it if we wanted to add a microwave or not.
The boss decided she wanted a microwave, so I got one.
It was difficult finding one with a depth of only 12", which is all we had to work with on the narrower 19'. I was expecting to have to take the door off to make it work, but using my endoscope and cell phone discovered that the back wall of the microwave cabinet in the 19' actually has an extra 2" of space behind it, so my 12.5" deep Magic Chef fits after all and I can close the cabinet door!
We plan to keep the door on, and keep it open when using the microwave.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20230205_174150.jpg   IMG_20230205_174224.jpg   IMG_20230205_174159.jpg  
Old 02-06-2023, 06:27 AM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Perfect fit.....
Old 06-26-2023, 02:26 PM   #16

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
My small microwave fits too. However we don’t like having the door stand open while using the microwave, it gets in the way. I’m thinking of removing the door and am searching the forum for ideas on securing the microwave. I like the of a slide out shelf, but I’m no real handy.
Old 06-26-2023, 05:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmel Clown View Post
... searching the forum for ideas on securing the microwave. I like the of a slide out shelf, but I’m no real handy.
This is what I did. I cut a piece of 1/8" plywood a little smaller than the footprint of the cabinet floor. Then I placed 2 pan head wood screws into the bottom of the cabinet parallel to the back of the cabinet so the screw heads were proud by 1/8". I notched the back edge of the 1/8" plywood so the plywood could be slide under the two screw heads and be trapped inside the notches. Plywood can only move toward the cabinet opening.

I mounted the plywood to the bottom of the microwave. Not sure how I did this but think I just removed the metal cover and screwed it to the 1/8" plywood. Then, with the microwave back in the metal cover, I slid it back into the cabinet and screwed the front of the plywood down to the floor of the cabinet with a couple small screws.

The notches in the back of the 1/8" plywood that are trapped under the pan heads of the 2 pan head screws and the 2 screws in front keep the microwave from bouncing.

You can see the 1/8" plywood and the 2 front screws in the picture. The 2 front screws can be accessed by opening the door of the microwave. You can also see the cardboard around the glass plate that rotates inside the microwave when cooking.

I turned the microwave on one time when testing the inverter and the cardboard caught on fire. Might be best to store the glass plate somewhere other than inside the microwave with foam or packing around it.
Attached Thumbnails
Microwave  Trailer.jpg