Added variable speed control dial to my 21C Heng stock range hood fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C
Added variable speed control dial to my 21C Heng stock range hood fan

I added a variable speed control dial to my 21C stock Heng range hood fan. The part is a PWM Low Voltage DC Motor Speed Controller and it was a fairly easy mod. I needed to move the U shaped wire cover piece behind about 1/2 to the right so it will cover the speed controller piece and drill a hole on the face plate. The range hood steel shell turned out to be really hard and my Dewalt drill bits wouldn't work so I had to use some other bit. On the controller circuit board there are words and +/-markings to show how to connect the four wires so you can't go wrong. Adding a couple of spade connectors and wire connections and it's up and running.

The linked video shows the fan noise levels at full power, 2/3 and 1/3, and it quiets down quite a lot at 1/3 power but I feel the most useful range of this controller is probably around 1/2 to 2/3 for a useful mix of good ventilation and reduced noise levels. Of course you can set it at any speed on the dial you want and it has a shutoff too. It may not be as good as the SAM-1 replacement alternative but for less than $10 I am happy with the result.

https://youtu.be/pq1kYT5UR40
Attached Thumbnails
Fan speed contoller dial.jpg  
viator36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #2

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Jake: Neat mod. Just make sure the outside flap is still lifting at the lower speeds.
Old 09-10-2020, 06:45 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by viator36 View Post
The range hood steel shell turned out to be really hard and my Dewalt drill bits wouldn't work so I had to use some other bit.https://youtu.be/pq1kYT5UR40
For future reference, the key to drilling stainless steel is to drill at low speed and use kerosene as the cutting fluid. Works well on horizontal surfaces or on a drill press. On fixed vertical surfaces, keep dipping the drill bit in the kerosene.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:28 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
I added a variable speed control dial to my 21C stock Heng range hood fan. The part is a PWM Low Voltage DC Motor Speed Controller and it was a fairly easy mod. I needed to move the U shaped wire cover piece behind about 1/2 to the right so it will cover the speed controller piece and drill a hole on the face plate. The range hood steel shell turned out to be really hard and my Dewalt drill bits wouldn't work so I had to use some other bit. On the controller circuit board there are words and +/-markings to show how to connect the four wires so you can't go wrong. Adding a couple of spade connectors and wire connections and it's up and running.

The linked video shows the fan noise levels at full power, 2/3 and 1/3, and it quiets down quite a lot at 1/3 power but I feel the most useful range of this controller is probably around 1/2 to 2/3 for a useful mix of good ventilation and reduced noise levels. Of course you can set it at any speed on the dial you want and it has a shutoff too. It may not be as good as the SAM-1 replacement alternative but for less than $10 I am happy with the result.

https://youtu.be/pq1kYT5UR40
Great idea! Just one suggestion - the regulator you linked to specifies to not use it on battery power - "it is not recommended to supply power greater than 12V, such as 12V lead-acid batteries, which may cause damage to the governor".

Maybe this model instead? https://www.amazon.com/Onyehn-Contro.../dp/B07GP72BWV
Old 09-10-2020, 08:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Great idea! Just one suggestion - the regulator you linked to specifies to not use it on battery power - "it is not recommended to supply power greater than 12V, such as 12V lead-acid batteries, which may cause damage to the governor".

Maybe this model instead? https://www.amazon.com/Onyehn-Contro.../dp/B07GP72BWV
Hi Tom, thanks for your suggestion. I saved the part you linked in my wish list and if my current one and the spare fail in the future I'll replace them with this one. I'll update this thread if that happens.
Old 09-10-2020, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Hi Tom, thanks for your suggestion. I saved the part you linked in my wish list and if my current one and the spare fail in the future I'll replace them with this one. I'll update this thread if that happens.
Of course since you have a spare, the first one will never fail!

And keep in mind that I tend to over engineer everything. If a part could fail, re-design it so it can't.
Old 09-10-2020, 09:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Of course since you have a spare, the first one will never fail!

And keep in mind that I tend to over engineer everything. If a part could fail, re-design it so it can't.
Before I decided on this part I did notice it says it has "a self-recovery fuse 2A" and "if the current is too large, it will be automatically disconnected, and the fuse will automatically recover after cooling." So will this protection circuit prevent damage when voltage gets into low and mid-13 volt and higher? I understand voltage and current are two different things but I am not that good at things electrical so I'm open to expert advice. TIA!
Old 09-10-2020, 10:39 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Just make sure the outside flap is still lifting at the lower speeds.
Dave, I just checked the flap opening again, at 1/2 dial turn the flap is 2/3 open, and at 1/3 turn the flap is half way open. That should be fine and I don't intend to use the dial at less than 1/3.

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
For future reference, the key to drilling stainless steel is to drill at low speed and use kerosene as the cutting fluid. Works well on horizontal surfaces or on a drill press. On fixed vertical surfaces, keep dipping the drill bit in the kerosene.
Hi Carl, thanks for the tip, I'll try to remember it.
Old 09-10-2020, 01:03 PM   #9

Quote:
Before I decided on this part I did notice it says it has "a self-recovery fuse 2A" and "if the current is too large, it will be automatically disconnected, and the fuse will automatically recover after cooling." So will this protection circuit prevent damage when voltage gets into low and mid-13 volt and higher? I understand voltage and current are two different things but I am not that good at things electrical so I'm open to expert advice. TIA!
The limit on the speed controller is the voltage rating of the components. The amp draw can be within tolerance but the voltage too high and it will fail. It is rated for 12v max - my trailer with solar gets several volts over that. Sorry!

The other speed controller I linked is rated to 35v, 5 amps, and the same price. For someone wanting to do your mod, it would be a good choice.