Adding a suitcase solar panel - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-12-2020, 06:03 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19, 2018: Last Best Escape
Adding a suitcase solar panel

A friend of mine recently decided to give up camping, mostly for health reasons. Now, with COVID-19, he's sure he did the right thing. Despite my protestations to the contrary, he and his spouse are now downsizing all the camping equipment. As a result, he gave me a really nice Renogy 200W solar suitcase with the controller.

On his stick-built, he did not have a rooftop panel like we do on 19'. He said, "All you need to do is to connect the alligator clips to your two batteries and connect the wiring to the panels. And you're all done!"

I told him I didn't think it was that simple since I already have a GoPower solar controller on my system. He asked me why and I replied that I read that on our Forum. But, for the life of me, searching high and low I cannot find that reference: connecting a solar panel with the controller to another system with the controller doesn't work and should not be done. When he asked me why, I confessed I did not know. Can someone enlighten me?

My recollection is that I need to either (a) connect the suitcase panels directly to the GoPower controller, bypassing the Renogy controller or (b) disconnect the GoPower controller when using the Renogy panels with its controller. Am I correct?

If I choose option b, is there a simple GoPower disconnect switch I can install? Of course, I'd like to use the suitcase in off-season camping when our rooftop units haven't quite cut it.

Anyway, he wants to know why he's wrong. And so do I!

Honda Pilot 2019
ksitte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 06:54 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksitte View Post

My recollection is that I need to either (a) connect the suitcase panels directly to the GoPower controller, bypassing the Renogy controller or (b) disconnect the GoPower controller when using the Renogy panels with its controller. Am I correct?
"a" will work if you bypass or remove the Renogy controller.
"b" will work if you connect the Renogy directly to the batteries without disconnecting the GoPower.

What you want to avoid is connecting controller X to controller Y. The reason is that a controller has to measure the voltage of the battery, as opposed to the voltage at the input of another controller.

I believe you said you already had a roof panel and the GoPower controller. To make your life easier you can add a connector to the GoPower and mount it (new hole) to the outside wall of the trailer. Then when you want to use the suitcase just plug in and forget.

The connections to the GoPower have the same polarity as the existing fixed panel. Add a new + (typically red) wire to the + input, and a - (typically black) to the - input. Since the GoPower connectors are somewhat small and already have wires plugged in there may not be room for big fat wire. So just keep the wires short between the GoPower and the new connector. My wires between the controller and my suitcase plug are 16 gauge and about 2 feet long. The rest of the wires (outside the trailer to the panel) are 8 gauge.
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 08:20 PM   #3

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
Quote:
On his stick-built, he did not have a rooftop panel like we do on 19'. He said, "All you need to do is to connect the alligator clips to your two batteries and connect the wiring to the panels. And you're all done!"

I told him I didn't think it was that simple since I already have a GoPower solar controller on my system. He asked me why and I replied that I read that on our Forum.
It is that simple.

We have a 170 watt GoPower panel and the GoPower controller hooked to the battery. We also have a 100 watt Renogy portable connected to a Victron Smartsolar 100/20 controller hooked to the battery. Both charge the battery at the same time.

It's done all the time.

PS, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, unless you're on Facebook, Fox News, or MSNBC.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 05-12-2020, 09:07 PM   #4

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
alanmalk has covered it very well. one thing to consider is the portable can be used to charge the truck battery if need be. nice to have that option if some how you end up with a dead battery
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 09:36 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012- 17'B.... 2016 Tacoma SR5 TRD
I connected mine to the 7 pin on the trailer . just sort the 12v and the ground and plug it in .I got a TV 7 pin plug connected the solar and just connect as if it was the TV and your set.
I only got a 80watt set up and in full sun it works fair to good but 200watt would be plenty for 2 X 6V lead acid.
Gingerdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 10:08 PM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
...PS, you can't believe everything you read on the Internet, unless you're on Facebook, Fox News, or MSNBC.

Enjoy,

Perry
You forgot CNN- the worst IMO. Did you see where Randall Stephenson (AT&T CEO) is retiring at 59 and will receive $274,000 a month for life? They own CNN.
Old 05-12-2020, 11:44 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
What does that 200w suitcase weigh in at? That probably would be plenty just on its own being able to get a good angle and move it during the day.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:12 PM   #8

Oh, oh, looks like I need to tell my friend I was wrong. The upside is that I have a great solar suitcase for auxiliary needs for our Escape. Now all I need is the campgrounds to open. State parks are open; the our favorite federal campgrounds don't open until 5/22.

Answering one of the related questions, the unit weighs about 34 lbs, is easily maneuverable and quick to set up. Following the responses, I tested it in somewhat rainy/partly sunny weather today and it appears to work great. I only left it on for about 30 min because I wasn't willing to battle the wind & rain.

Thanks for the helpful responses, all!

Honda Pilot 2019
Old 05-13-2020, 12:32 PM   #9

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Oh, oh, looks like I need to tell my friend I was wrong. The upside is that I have a great solar suitcase for auxiliary needs for our Escape. Now all I need is the campgrounds to open. State parks are open; the our favorite federal campgrounds don't open until 5/22.

Answering one of the related questions, the unit weighs about 34 lbs, is easily maneuverable and quick to set up. Following the responses, I tested it in somewhat rainy/partly sunny weather today and it appears to work great. I only left it on for about 30 min because I wasn't willing to battle the wind & rain.

Thanks for the helpful responses, all!

we all could all use more friends like yours.
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 12:57 PM   #10

You got that right! Although he and his wife won't join us anymore as we camp. Bummer.

Honda Pilot 2019