Adding Cargo Hatch to 21ne - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2021, 03:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2020 21ne
Adding Cargo Hatch to 21ne

Has anyone added a cargo hatch forward of the electric plug. Assuming the removable 30 amp extension cable is selected from ETI. The hatch would need to be less than 12 inches wide and at least 12 inches tall to be of any use, but the dogbones and other electrical necessities would work nicely. The space is hard to access from under the bed. Any advice, pictures, encouragement, or otherwise?
Attached Thumbnails
Escape hatch possible.jpg  
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:44 AM   #2

Trailer: 2019 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Has anyone added a cargo hatch forward of the electric plug. Assuming the removable 30 amp extension cable is selected from ETI. The hatch would need to be less than 12 inches wide and at least 12 inches tall to be of any use, but the dogbones and other electrical necessities would work nicely. The space is hard to access from under the bed. Any advice, pictures, encouragement, or otherwise?
I added a drivers side rear hatch door to my 19 last fall. Great place for the power cord and water hose right near where they are used, in an area that is difficult to access for storage under the bed. I looked at different hatch door suppliers on line.

Then, I was driving through Chilliwack in September and stopped by Escape to discuss this, and a couple other things with them. I wanted to make sure that the manufacturer did not feel I needed any additional reinforcement in the area after cutting a hole for the door. As it turned out, they had a door from another Escape model (a 17 or a 5.0) that fit the location well. I can't remember the exact amount I paid but it was under $100 Canadian for the door and installation hardware (screws and bit of butyl tape), which was less than anything I was looking at buying on line. Note that this is a fairly small hatch. The install was very easy if you have even a basic competence in using tools. Installation of the door took less than an hour. Installation of inside bulkheads in the storage area to stop items from moving around the bigger under bed area took longer.

If Escape has the door size you need I would just buy it from them. They will match the rest of your doors and use the same key. Mine looks like a factory installation even though the factory does not install one there. On a 21 you will likely have room for a bigger door which would be nice.
Attached Thumbnails
P1050155.jpg  
Mark B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 12:58 AM   #3
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark B1 View Post
They will match the rest of your doors and use the same key.
Not to critique your install. It looks great and I think it should be an option offered by ETI. But two things...

A...It's certainly a great idea that I'll look at myself.
B...Regarding the key, it matches most every other door on most every other RV manufactured in North America. Something most people are unaware of.

I swapped out the locks within a month of getting our 21NE home last year. I went with the following tubular cam locks from Amazon.ca. No doubt they're also available via amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These fit and work perfectly.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 06:14 AM   #4

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ops View Post
Not to critique your install. It looks great and I think it should be an option offered by ETI. But two things...

A...It's certainly a great idea that I'll look at myself.
B...Regarding the key, it matches most every other door on most every other RV manufactured in North America. Something most people are unaware of.

I swapped out the locks within a month of getting our 21NE home last year. I went with the following tubular cam locks from Amazon.ca. No doubt they're also available via amazon.com.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

These fit and work perfectly.
ETI Put one there for me. It was a listed option.
Old 05-09-2021, 08:29 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Because I put in a larger hatch by moving the clearance light rearward...I reinforced the opening. My install is in one of the posts in the thread link below.
Attached Thumbnails
2E13670F-578B-40F0-A2D3-1CB2A6C21CCC.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2021, 09:03 AM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Hatch

We have the hatch you describe. it was factory installed when the previous owner bought the trailer new. i use it all the time. i store the electric cord there(detachable).
i also store three plastic boxes with tools in one, clean plumbing supplies Water filter regulator etc in one and smaller maintenance needs in another. my electrical adapters ride in there too. wouldn't be without it. total weight in there is about 35 lbs.
Iowa Dave

Tags
add cargo hatch, cargo hatch