Adding Protective Coating on the Wheel Wells - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 09-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Eric,
Two questions, (1)new tires/which Goodyear model? and (2) little box by your door, purpose?
Old 09-11-2015, 04:19 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
I didn't realize you had a blow out AFTER you did the wheel wells. Was there any damage beyond the melted rubber imbedded in the material that you sprayed on?

Here's a video about LineX protecting against blasts
Leon - nothing significant to the liner material at all - maybe a bit removed where the rubber was hitting it really hard. Other than that, just a bit of rubber I had to clean off on the outside beyond where I sprayed on the liner.

I loved that Mythbusters episode - it's what gave me the idea to spray that stuff on.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 04:24 PM   #23

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Eric,
Two questions, (1)new tires/which Goodyear model? and (2) little box by your door, purpose?
Jim - old picture - pre-tire failure. That one I took when I posted the series of shots showing the steps I did in putting in the liner. See the new one below. New ones are on new 15" wheels - tires are Carlisle D rated ones. After the blowout I was mad at Goodyear.

That box is my outside AC power outlet. About the only thing I ever use it for it to plug in my MacBook or Mary's iPad if the battery is low and we're sitting outside.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0611.jpg  

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 05:09 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 19 classic "outta sight", jeep rubicon unlimited
Rock wheel well protection: Just got notified by ETI this option is not available anymore
Marry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:07 PM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Mitt-Inn"
Paint protective film?

I was thinking about this earlier; how about protective film for wheel wells and vulnerable front corners and surfaces? It is OE on most new cars. In 2003 I entombed my daughter's then-new fiberglass cello case in film. It's been all over Europe and NA in trucks, buses and airplanes. The case still looks great. I'll try filming our 2017 after we pick it up.
J&B Mitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
I was thinking about this earlier; how about protective film for wheel wells and vulnerable front corners and surfaces? It is OE on most new cars. In 2003 I entombed my daughter's then-new fiberglass cello case in film. It's been all over Europe and NA in trucks, buses and airplanes. The case still looks great. I'll try filming our 2017 after we pick it up.
This has been discussed, as I plan on putting the 3M protectant on the front of my 5.0 when I get it, in the areas affected by rock chips. I don't think I will do anything in the wheel wells though.

The protectant is certainly not OEM around here at least, but many do put it on right away. I have done so for most of my vehicles.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 08:57 PM   #27

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19 "Terrapin"
Sounds like a good idea. It seems any extra protection can only help. Can you provide a little more info on the 3M protectant. That is, what exactly is it and how is it applied. Thanks.
mcdonner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:05 AM   #28

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19' and 2016 GMC Yukon SLT SUV.
Send a message via AIM to Tonny LR
Quote:
Originally Posted by J&B Mitt View Post
I applied 3M paint protective film to the wheel well to give gelcoat more protection. I drove the trailer 2,500 miles recently and the film hold up well.

Tonny LR
Tonny LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2016, 07:29 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcdonner View Post
Sounds like a good idea. It seems any extra protection can only help. Can you provide a little more info on the 3M protectant. That is, what exactly is it and how is it applied. Thanks.
https://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/...rd-Pro-Series/

I talked to a local shop that installs, and they said to bring the trailer in when I get it, but that it would not cost very much, as it would be real simple to install compared to lots of vehicles they do.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-06-2016, 01:41 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 5.0 TA
Thinking of covering my nose.

Even though the nose of the 5th wheel is further back than our previous truck camper you can still get significant bug splat and the occasional gravel hit from oncoming traffic. The biggest wear and tear area of our fiberglass truck camper was its nose, the rest of the camper, pretty much immaculate.

The Maguire forums recommend NXT 2.0 wax over the 3M auto film for UV protection. Still plan on getting the front corners covered and keeping my Mad Max Beyond Thunder Dome diamond plate rock shields. Scott

Scott, Lori and a white schnauzer named Fritz
Friends don’t let friends eat farmed salmon
AK snowbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 11:41 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I talked to a local shop that installs, and they said to bring the trailer in when I get it, but that it would not cost very much, as it would be real simple to install compared to lots of vehicles they do.
Has anyone had 3M film applied to their trailer in the Chilliwack area?
ThomasG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:11 AM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
My main concern for getting get wheel wells protected was a video I saw of a trailer that had a blowout while going down the road. I don't remember if it was a scamp or a casita, but the strip of tire that was flapping against the body did serious injury to the trailer. My recollection is that the owner didn't notice the blown tire until there was smoke coming from the wheel.

I think this was discussed about a year ago on the forum, and someone posted a link to a myth-busters video of truck bed lining material withstanding some explosive force. Probably my tires will never blow and it will not be a useful thing, but just in case...
I blew a tire on my Scamp 5th wheel and no i did not wait for smoke, i pulled right over! The floor on the Scamp is chip board and had a big hole in it behind the wheel! I believe the fiberglass is probably tougher. That being said I now keep an eye on the tires in the mirrors!
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
Eric, if it saves your wheel well, that is worth it for you. I don't like the stuff and like the smooth wheel wells (I think I aspire to Alf's clean wheel wells). Am supposing that insurance would cover such damage, at least I hope so. Of course, you have a single axle. Don't know how that matters on that, if it does.
My insurance covered me to fix the floor on my Scamp 5th wheel after a blowout.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:14 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasG View Post
Has anyone had 3M film applied to their trailer in the Chilliwack area?
I checked with the shop in Chilliwack, and as they have to do it inside, they can't get the 5.0TA in. I am going to bring some 6mil poly along, and tape a double layer of that to protect from the winter sand (gravel) on the highways.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:18 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
This has been discussed, as I plan on putting the 3M protectant on the front of my 5.0 when I get it, in the areas affected by rock chips. I don't think I will do anything in the wheel wells though.

The protectant is certainly not OEM around here at least, but many do put it on right away. I have done so for most of my vehicles.
No chips on my Scamp 5th wheel we are selling this year after 5 years and probably 25000 miles or more! No protective coating other than wax.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:27 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian and Sue View Post
No chips on my Scamp 5th wheel we are selling this year after 5 years and probably 25000 miles or more! No protective coating other than wax.
I know the front of our 19 after 6+ years had quite a bit of pitting on the front behind the tow tires. We do travel a fair bit on gravel roads.

This is the reason that Escape puts a protective coating on their storage boxes. I was considering finding out what they use and maybe do that, but the 3M is cheap, and easily removable. The other is more permanent, and can be done later. I know Line-X is an option too, but according to Reace, the matching white tends to yellow a bit with age, thus the reason they no longer use it.
Old 01-05-2017, 08:29 AM   #37

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
wheel wells

I had several tires come apart on our Casita (until I went to LT tires) and I only had a lot of black to clean off, no damage.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 09:30 AM   #38

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I had a flat o my Escape, I had driven for awhile and did not notice it until I pulled in for gas (another reason to have a smaller gas tank) there i was discovered my front curbside had a screw in the thread and was flat. The wheel lugs were loose and probably the wheel would have come off eventually. I'm not aware of blowouts happening versus air just leaking out once the tire is pierced. Now operating the tires below recommended psi may cause a blow out.
Old 01-05-2017, 09:49 AM   #39

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Let me add my high recommendation for either "TireTraker" or "Tireminder" systems. Having used one recently on a long trip, the constant monitoring of both pressure and temperature was reassuring. I think either of these systems is cheap insurance. It was also easy to push a button every morning and check the cold pressure on both the tow and the trailer. It was also interesting to monitor the effects of both speed and ambient temperature on tire temps. The system is also likely to give you some early warning if you are having a bearing problem. The built in pressure systems on tow vehicles will not give you the early warning that both of these systems provide.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2017, 10:17 AM   #40
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by techfan View Post
Let me add my high recommendation for either "TireTraker" or "Tireminder" systems. Having used one recently on a long trip, the constant monitoring of both pressure and temperature was reassuring.
Which one are you using Tim?
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote