Adding quick-connect propane? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-13-2020, 04:39 PM   #41

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
I have had good success using JB weld to attach brackets to the trailer frame. A little sandpaper to remove the paint, attach the bracket with JB weld applied to the frame and bracket, clamp or tape it in place until dry, and paint.
The installed bracket with a propane connector would look like this:
Tom, you are rocking today. I've been looking at that factory QC setup and getting ready to tackle making that more secure. I live on JB Weld and have a good bit out in the garage ready for this project to come along.
Thanks, once again, ur 2 for 2 today.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2020, 07:44 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanark Camper View Post
I normally run my Weber 1200 bbq on a 20 propane tank, with the regulator on the tank, using the propane quick connects. I’d like to have the option of connecting it into the trailers propane supply. I bought the fittings to do this and feel I’m quite capable of doing it myself. My question is, I’d like to mount the quick connect on the frame between the front box and the propane cover. I’m looking for a metal or plastic box to enclose and protect the quick connect, any suggestions ?
Thanks Bob
so you've removed the regulator on the weber and replaced it with a quickconnect hose fitting?
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 06:30 AM   #43

Trailer: Escape 17B, July 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
so you've removed the regulator on the weber and replaced it with a quickconnect hose fitting?
John, yes I did. I’ve been using an adjustable regulator right at the tank that works really well. Following the example and advice of experts here I recently purchased a 17” Blackstone griddle.
I thought it might be wise to have the option of using the trailer supply should the 20 lb tank run out.

I added a T fitting between the trailer regulator output and trailer supply hose, and then an elbow to a 4’ propane hose with a quick connect fitting. The new quick connect appears at the top of the frame just in front of the factory storage box, behind the propane cover.

The fittings from the end of the hose to the quick connect are NPT so I’m wonder how the fitting is tight in the metal bracket while the fittings are also tight enough ? Is there a flange type fitting I could use between the hose and quick connect ?

Bob
Lanark Camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 10:56 AM   #44

Trailer: 2017 21c Sold, 2023 Bigfoot 25RQ
We carry a spare tank in the bed of the truck
It’s also a backup for the main tanks
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 12:58 PM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldwave View Post
We carry a spare tank in the bed of the truck
It’s also a backup for the main tanks
With 2 tanks I have never had need for a backup. This has only been for 30 years though. [emoji16]

I know with the single tank on our tent trailer, close monitoring was required.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 01:16 PM   #46

I’ll use the tank in the pickup for the bbq and griddle until it’s dry. Plug into the trailer until I get it refilled.

I found these on Amazon to mount the quick connect to the bracket. A waterproof box hadn’t been so easy. I’m thinking of using a short piece of plastic pipe threaded into a flange on the metal bracket.

Bob

Click image for larger version

Name:	95C33F72-CBF4-4750-B049-58F17C7A36F0.jpeg
Views:	8
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	52004
Old 11-14-2020, 02:52 PM   #47

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Do you have a link for those, Bob?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 03:33 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Do you have a link for those, Bob?
I’m in Canada, so this is for Amazon.ca. I’m sure they also carry them at Amazon.com, except they will be much cheaper....

Bob

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...ZOT6VBB2&psc=1
Old 11-14-2020, 03:49 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I found these on Amazon to mount the quick connect to the bracket...
Quote:
The quick connect fittings usually have a female NPT port, so you'll need a nipple between that bulkhead coupler and the QC, unless you an find a male-threaded QC. There are also male-to-male versions (so it's a nipple, rather than a coupler) to which a NPTF QC fitting would mount directly... if you can find one in 1/4".

Quote:
A waterproof box hadn’t been so easy.
Do you really want waterproof? I would just want splashproof to keep the fitting clean.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The quick connect fittings usually have a female NPT port, so you'll need a nipple between that bulkhead coupler and the QC, unless you an find a male-threaded QC. There are also male-to-male versions (so it's a nipple, rather than a coupler) to which a NPTF QC fitting would mount directly... if you can find one in 1/4".

Do you really want waterproof? I would just want splashproof to keep the fitting clean.
Thanks for your input.
It does not have to be “submersible” waterproof but I’m thinking following right behind a pickup trucks rear tire at 100 Km hr in the rain it could pick up some dirt off the road. Spring here the roads still have salt on them as well. I have no experience with these fittings so maybe I’m over thinking this ? Seems to be machined to a close tolerance with spring loaded ball bearings, sliding collar etc. So maybe more than just splash proof ?

Regarding the quick connect, it has a 1/4” brass nipple in it now. So I assumed it would thread right into the bulkhead fitting. I was intending to use a 1/4” 90* elbow on the backside of the bulkhead fitting so the hose from the trailer regulator would be tucked in close to the frame and could do a gentle turn going forward.

Bob
Old 11-15-2020, 07:51 AM   #51

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
I normally run my Weber 1200 bbq on a 20 propane tank, with the regulator on the tank, using the propane quick connects. I’d like to have the option of connecting it into the trailers propane supply. I bought the fittings to do this and feel I’m quite capable of doing it myself. My question is, I’d like to mount the quick connect on the frame between the front box and the propane cover. I’m looking for a metal or plastic box to enclose and protect the quick connect, any suggestions ?
Thanks Bob
We have the Weber as well and mounted the quick disconnect between the storage box and the trailer, up higher so it is easier to use. Mounted it directly to the backside of the storage box. Worked well.
Attached Thumbnails
20200110_114222a.jpg   20200110_114158a.jpg  
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2020, 07:57 AM   #52

Very good idea. Looks like it’s very protected back there behind the box. I’ll reconsider my mounting location. I don’t think the hose I have is long enough for that. I’ll check it out.
Thanks, Bob
Old 11-15-2020, 10:50 AM   #53

Trailer: 2020 Escape 21, 1977 Scamp 13
Quote:
Very good idea. Looks like it’s very protected back there behind the box. I’ll reconsider my mounting location. I don’t think the hose I have is long enough for that. I’ll check it out.
Thanks, Bob
This is the line I purchased from Amazon for the extension.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
tburt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 03:08 PM   #54

Trailer: 2021 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I added my own Low Pressure Quick Connect. For me, it really was easy, just took me a half day as I installed it inside a hatch so it was right out of the way when not in use. I tied in right after the regulator on the 1/2" line with a 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8 tee. On my 5.0TA I installed the connection just inside the frame on the front passenger side. Not lots of photos, though I could easily take some more.

I made a hole

Attachment 48922

I filled the hole

Attachment 48923

I connected a gas line. This is now so easy to do.

Attachment 48924

Jim,

Where did you procure the access hatch? Why do you have metal riveted inside the hatch? If the propane hose entered the hatch on the side followed by a 90° bend and valve/quick connect, do you think the hatch would be strong enough to support the hardware and the forces of connecting and disconnecting the propane hose to the camp stove? What, if any, changes would you make to your quick disconnect?

I am thinking abut doing a similar system because I am trying to add as little weight as possible to the trailer. Originally I was going to carry a small propane tank in the front storage box but now I am thinking the quick connect will be lighter on the tongue. My tongue is kinda heavy.

Thanks, Bob
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 09:19 PM   #55

Trailer: 2021 Escape 21NE
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Jim,

Where did you procure the access hatch? Why do you have metal riveted inside the hatch? If the propane hose entered the hatch on the side followed by a 90° bend and valve/quick connect, do you think the hatch would be strong enough to support the hardware and the forces of connecting and disconnecting the propane hose to the camp stove? What, if any, changes would you make to your quick disconnect?

I am thinking abut doing a similar system because I am trying to add as little weight as possible to the trailer. Originally I was going to carry a small propane tank in the front storage box but now I am thinking the quick connect will be lighter on the tongue. My tongue is kinda heavy.

Thanks, Bob
For those of you who have the recalled low-pressure quick connect on your Escape, I just installed the replacement on our 21 NE. It's from MB Sturgis and seems more robust than the recalled QC it replaces. MB Stugis makes some low pressure RV conversion kits and adapters for Weber Q grills, Coleman Roadtrip grills and Blackstone griddles. I have one of their items. Works well.

Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6481.jpeg  
DGLP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 09:58 AM   #56

I am working on adding an external quick connect for a camp stove or what ever. The stove I have is a Camp Chef 2 burner totaling 34,000 BTU.

The connection hose that came with it has 3/8" brass fittings and 5/16" hose.

The MB Sturgis quick disconnect that Darrell shows as the Escape replacement for the recalled quick disconnect looks like this product that says it is good for 14,000 BTU at 0.5 lb working pressure.

This quick connect from MB Sturgis is 3/8" fitting instead of 1/4" fitting and says it is good for 60,000 BTU at 0.6 lb W. C. pressure drop.

I don't know the flow rating for the original quick disconnect Escape furnished and is being replaced.

Should I be concerned about the rating of the quick disconnect when assembling my system?

I am trying to figure out hose/pipe sizes and fitting sizes and it looks like I need to use 5/16" hose size to get at least 40,000 BTU. I am assuming 40 feet from tanks to camp stove which would be about right if I take off from where the stove hose connects to the mainline gas pipe that I think is copper.

Bob
Old 08-15-2022, 01:27 PM   #57

Quote:
I am working on adding an external quick connect for a camp stove or what ever. The stove I have is a Camp Chef 2 burner totaling 34,000 BTU.

The connection hose that came with it has 3/8" brass fittings and 5/16" hose.

The MB Sturgis quick disconnect that Darrell shows as the Escape replacement for the recalled quick disconnect looks like this product that says it is good for 14,000 BTU at 0.5 lb working pressure.

This quick connect from MB Sturgis is 3/8" fitting instead of 1/4" fitting and says it is good for 60,000 BTU at 0.6 lb W. C. pressure drop.

I don't know the flow rating for the original quick disconnect Escape furnished and is being replaced.

Should I be concerned about the rating of the quick disconnect when assembling my system?

I am trying to figure out hose/pipe sizes and fitting sizes and it looks like I need to use 5/16" hose size to get at least 40,000 BTU. I am assuming 40 feet from tanks to camp stove which would be about right if I take off from where the stove hose connects to the mainline gas pipe that I think is copper.

Bob
Hi Bob,

I think I have an answer. Please check the attached photos. It looks like the flow rate is 23,000 BTUH. 41 cm is just over 16 inches, equivalent to 0.577 PSI according to an online converter.

Our little Weber puts out about 12,000 BTUH. The new connector seemed to provide enough flow when I tried it out yesterday and checked for leaks.

Cheers,
Darrell
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_6485.jpeg   IMG_6484.jpeg   IMG_6483.jpeg  
Old 08-15-2022, 01:35 PM   #58

Will the Camp Chef stove run on low pressure, Bob?
Old 08-15-2022, 01:56 PM   #59

I don't know about the pressures involved. Maybe the 1/4" quick connect is ok. I have only connected the Camp Chef directly to the propane tank
Old 08-15-2022, 03:01 PM   #60
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
I don't know about the pressures involved. Maybe the 1/4" quick connect is ok. I have only connected the Camp Chef directly to the propane tank
did that hose have a regulator on it where it goes onto the tank? or, is there a regulator on the stove where the hose connects to it?

there can only be one regulator, and the device has to be designed for the same pressure as the trailer, which is like 11 inches of water column, this is about 0.4 PSI, a very low pressure indeed.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote