Adding quick-connect propane? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 08-15-2022, 03:25 PM   #61

Trailer: 2021 21NE
John, The option I went with for my camp stove was 5' hose with an LP gas regulator on the end that connects to the tank. I can remove it and use a hose with quick connect to connect to the trailer mounted and regulated quick connect on the trailer system.
My concern is that I plumb in a properly sized propane quick connect system. I will then purchase an 8 to 12-foot hose to connect the camp stove to the trailer regulated quick connect.
I need 34,000 BTU capacity system. The quick connect in the picture Darrell provided is 23,000 BTU which if at .4 or .6 psi, isn't going to work for me. I need 5/16" supply with 3/8" fittings to get at least 40,000BTU which is what I want.
BobG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:04 PM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I've only ever seen the one size propane low pressure quick disconnect.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 04:20 PM   #63

John, in a previous post in this thread I included 2 imbedded links. One is for the quick connect I understand is being provided under the recall and the other link is for s quick connect sold by the same company but with 3/8" fitting instead of 1/4". The larger one has more capacity. I am currently on my way to a propane parts store to see what I need.
Old 08-23-2022, 12:09 PM   #64

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobG View Post
Jim,

Where did you procure the access hatch? Why do you have metal riveted inside the hatch? If the propane hose entered the hatch on the side followed by a 90° bend and valve/quick connect, do you think the hatch would be strong enough to support the hardware and the forces of connecting and disconnecting the propane hose to the camp stove? What, if any, changes would you make to your quick disconnect?

I am thinking abut doing a similar system because I am trying to add as little weight as possible to the trailer. Originally I was going to carry a small propane tank in the front storage box but now I am thinking the quick connect will be lighter on the tongue. My tongue is kinda heavy.

Thanks, Bob
I believe it was off Amazon, but do forget. If you want one I did buy two and only have used the one. The metal was two purpose, to provide a solid mount and to provide a space to seal from the inside of the trailer shell well.

I used a flexible hose attached with a tee right off the trailer regulator.

I have used it lots on every day the trailer is used over the last 5 years. Lots and lots of use, and it has stood up very well. Nice and solid.

I am one who is very much in favour of the Low Pressure Quick Connect setup. I use a Y shaped fitting that allows two appliances to be used at once and have used that quite a bit.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 01:10 AM   #65

Trailer: 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... and neither is pointing out the reality of the rest of the world. While most Albertans have natural gas service, even in rural areas, that is not true in many other areas. Hooking up a home grill to natural gas service is certainly both desirable for most people, and common... but for this and other reasons it is not universal, and that's all was saying.
Running on the main gas line is nice,,Except when you get distracted and forget to turn off the BBQ in which case with the portable tank will run out of gas ,unlke ur main will run until you realze it.. been there done that
Grasshog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 09:04 AM   #66

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshog View Post
Running on the main gas line is nice,,Except when you get distracted and forget to turn off the BBQ in which case with the portable tank will run out of gas ,unlke ur main will run until you realze it.. been there done that
As someone who has done this a couple times now, I can say it really is not much of an issue. It would take a lot of BBQ burn time to empty a 20lb tank. It was never a problem for us.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2022, 12:28 PM   #67

Jim,

Thanks for getting back to me on the access hatch. I have gone back and forth several times on the alternatives: small propane tank carried in the storage box or a quick disconnect. I have now settled on the quick connect because the trailer is over weight and I am trying like the dickens to keep the tongue weight under control.

I like the way you sealed your quick connect in the access hatch. I planned to run a propane hose from under the trailer to a hatch located behind the stove but have decided I am not in the mood to do the work and don't want someone else doing it. So, I am going to go with mounting it in front of the step like the factory does. I feel confident in hiring someone to do this for me. Thanks again.