Adding quick-connect propane? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 07-20-2020, 11:25 AM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Adding quick-connect propane?

How hard/costly is it to add a quick-connect to a typical duel-tank Escape setup?

Thx!
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 11:48 AM   #2
Ops

Trailer: 2020 - 21NE "JoMoE" (Just our Means of Escape)
It's really not that difficult.

From everything I've read and been told, it'd be best to have a propane shop do it for you. A plumber can do it as well. Either way, it'd be certified and propane is not one of those things I'd be mucking about with. 12 volt DC is one thing. Propane that blows up or gases you is another.

Cost for the parts is the big thing. Certifying is another.
Ops is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:41 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
How hard/costly is it to add a quick-connect to a typical duel-tank Escape setup?

Thx!
The only thing that would make it hard, is if you have spray foam on the bottom of your trailer.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2020, 01:57 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Here is my quick connect solution.
Attached Thumbnails
quick-connect.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 02:36 PM   #5

Hmm. Myron, did you have someone do that for ya? We DO have the foam insulation so as much as I’d love to run something under the trailer that would be pretty problemmatic.
Old 07-20-2020, 02:49 PM   #6

No - Really not too hard to do. Shut off or disconnect propane. Line under regulator unscrews, insert the pipe fittings, re-connect. Be sure to use propane rated (yellow) thread wrap. The ten foot hose line with quick connection is fairly expensive, as is the actual brass quick connect. That white cap is actually for a chair.

Only issue that is bothersome is planning for access through the tanks shroud lid.
Attached Thumbnails
quickcon2.jpg  
Old 07-20-2020, 03:30 PM   #7

Great photo! Thanks so much - I do think the install on this is above my pay grade, but I'll know exactly what to line up for whoever CAN do it. Grateful!
Old 07-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #8

So I called a local RV mechanic and asked if he could do this, and he responded with a dissertation length "explanation" of regulators and pressure and O M G -- SO MANY WORDS ... saying that I would have to decide ahead of time exactly what I would be connecting and what its pressure requirements are.

But as I understand it, don't the individual appliances -- in our case, a Honda generator that would have the Hutch Mtn conversion and a Baby Q -- have their own regulators?

I have spent the last week learning everything there is to know about network connections (our internet here is abysmal) -- and my brain is full. NO ROOM TO LEARN ABOUT PROPANE REGULATORS (on the other hand, ask me about packets and I can give you a mouthful) So I would be SO GRATEFUL if someone could give me precise language as to what I'd be asking for per a Myron-esque setup ... so that I can basically drop at a RV mechanic, hand over a check, and get a propane-quick-connect ready Escape in return.

VIRTUAL HUGS TO ANYONE WHO CAN HELP!!
Old 07-23-2020, 12:53 PM   #9

Relax. Sounds to me like that RV guy was doing a snow job.

My quick connect simply adds a line right out of the trailer regulator so I can now connect trailer propane to my Weber Baby Q. These portable grills are meant to be used with them small $2 propane bottles Walmart sells.

I removed the regulator that comes pre-attached in the Baby Q because if you plan to connect it to the tanks on the trailer tongue, you already have a regulator in place there. You don't want two regulators doing the job.

My directions show that you are interrupting the line out of the trailer regulator with a tee that will now send propane to the quick connect line used to fire up the Weber. Do that and... It's all good now, all automatically low pressure governed by the trailer regulator, so not to worry.

If you're not up to the task any plumber can do it.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:47 PM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I added my own Low Pressure Quick Connect. For me, it really was easy, just took me a half day as I installed it inside a hatch so it was right out of the way when not in use. I tied in right after the regulator on the 1/2" line with a 1/2 x 1/2 x 3/8 tee. On my 5.0TA I installed the connection just inside the frame on the front passenger side. Not lots of photos, though I could easily take some more.

I made a hole

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00133.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	48922

I filled the hole

Name:	DSC00134.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	48923

I connected a gas line. This is now so easy to do.

Name:	DSC00136.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	48924
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 06:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We ordered this option but seldom use it as the flow rate is too low for good BBQ. I
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2020, 07:14 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
We ordered this option but seldom use it as the flow rate is too low for good BBQ. I
This is just not true. I know of many a good BBQ that runs well on the low pressure system. It uses the same pressure as the regulator that came with it. Maybe testing the trailer regulator might be needed. I have had to pressure them up a bit before a few times.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-23-2020, 07:20 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post

What BBQ are you using. Do you have two regulators, one on the trailer and one on the Q?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:59 PM   #14

Trailer: 2005 Scamp 16 SD (sold), 2020 Escape 19
We just hook up one of these unregulated hoses to the 2nd propane tank when we need to use it. One end screws into the tank, the other screws into where the 1 lb bottle would have gone. No need to remove the regulator from your stove.
Available in several lengths.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane hose.JPG  
Old 07-23-2020, 10:34 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We just hook up one of these unregulated hoses to the 2nd propane tank when we need to use it. One end screws into the tank, the other screws into where the 1 lb bottle would have gone. No need to remove the regulator from your stove.

I did that for many years. Way more bother than using a low pressure system. Glad to have changed over 11 years ago.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:01 PM   #16

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radar1 View Post
We also use a similar hose and we carry a 10 lb LP tank. We keep a 1lb bottle in case the 10 lb goes dry. 10 lb tank cost us about $75. This is very portable, we generally set the grill on the picnic table and the tank sets under the table. You can also take the grill and tank to a picnic. Haven't had a quick connect, but this works for us.
Old 07-23-2020, 11:07 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn View Post
We also use a similar hose and we carry a 10 lb LP tank. We keep a 1lb bottle in case the 10 lb goes dry. 10 lb tank cost us about $75. This is very portable, we generally set the grill on the picnic table and the tank sets under the table. You can also take the grill and tank to a picnic. Haven't had a quick connect, but this works for us.

Ditto.

I think I have two 1lb. cylinders as back up for the 10 lb.
Ten pounds lasts a long time.
Old 07-24-2020, 07:10 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 21' Classic
Same setup been used for years. No mess, no fuss. KISS principle to max.
titanizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2020, 08:25 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
I do pretty much the same, but with a 5 pound tank. Only feel a bit guilty when getting it refilled since it only holds a gallon of propane, but lasts as long as 5 one shot tanks.
Old 07-24-2020, 08:29 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Easy

Quote:
We prefer this setup too. I had spares for backup if the ten ran out I eventually gave them to my son as I never needed them. I knew that I could use one of the big tanks if I needed.
Many Forest service campgrounds have a picnic table some yards from where the camper pad is located. I much prefer to take my ten, our Weber Q or Camp Chef Everest and the hose over to the table and cook there while enjoying the scenery having a beverage and petting our dog. We rarely eat inside the Escape unless it’s raining or cold and windy. We have the quick connect and all the fittings needed but just never got into using it regularly. Works fine though. Everybody camps differently. I really like the vertical 10, lives in the front box while not in use.
Iowa