Advice on New Wheels and Tires - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-29-2020, 08:50 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have 37,000 miles on Goodyear Endurance Tires bought in August of 2017. They are at 4 and 5/ 32 tread depth at this time. We will be buying new tires about March or April before we go out again. I’ll buy Endurance again. I had no problems with the Marathons on the 19, others did. The original owner of our 21 had Reece supply Marathons when they got the first release of 21s. I too feel I’m pretty vigilant but not infallible. Sorry to hear the sister (consecutive serial number) to our 21 got beat up. I’m sure there’s a good plastic surgeon in the area. Glad to hear nobody was hurt and a serious accident did not occur. I have brakes to install too. They worked fine on the two outings we took this year but it’s time on them too.
Only towed 1800 or so miles this past year. Both trips about 900 miles.
Iowa Dave
Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Other than towing my 17B down the hill a couple klicks to North Shore RV for service, we travelled 40 kilometres ( 25 miles ) to Porteau Cove and 40 back, so my daughter, SIL and the grandkids could go camping.
I got to empty the black tank, if nothing else.
Old 11-29-2020, 09:48 PM   #43

That’s a crappy job
Iowa Dave
Old 11-29-2020, 09:52 PM   #44

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
That’s a crappy job
Iowa Dave

Never seen it that full. No gauge, no flashlight required.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:55 PM   #45

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21C
Thanks for the input all!!

tdf-texas, that must have been it, the Michelin 15" goes down to a P tire. I looked at the Yokohamas and they did look like they had some thick treads that could be loud, but with rain or snow they could be a big plus. We will be more of the fair weather travelers. The Goodyear Wrangler LTs might be a nice option. From your research do they only make LT tires in the 215/75R15 size and will that fit on OEM wheels? My stock tires are 205/75R15.

Seems like Goodyear Endurance would be just fine as well.

Now just need to work out what wheel to buy. I could just stick with my white stock wheels but really like the looks of the HiSpecs. I would be sold if I wasn't hearing so much about corrosion, but it seems like there is no perfect option.

If anyone has had luck with another aftermarket wheel, let me know and send a pic if you can.

Thanks!
BNico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2020, 10:07 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by BNico View Post
Thanks for the input all!!

tdf-texas, that must have been it, the Michelin 15" goes down to a P tire. I looked at the Yokohamas and they did look like they had some thick treads that could be loud, but with rain or snow they could be a big plus. We will be more of the fair weather travelers. The Goodyear Wrangler LTs might be a nice option. From your research do they only make LT tires in the 215/75R15 size and will that fit on OEM wheels? My stock tires are 205/75R15.

Seems like Goodyear Endurance would be just fine as well.

Now just need to work out what wheel to buy. I could just stick with my white stock wheels but really like the looks of the HiSpecs. I would be sold if I wasn't hearing so much about corrosion, but it seems like there is no perfect option.

If anyone has had luck with another aftermarket wheel, let me know and send a pic if you can.

Thanks!
The 215/75R15 will fit your rims fine.

The Goodyear Endurance is a good tire. One difference is the Endurance is rated for 87 mph vs the Goodyear Wrangler LTs rated at 99 mph - not much difference. The only other thing is that the Goodyear Wrangler LTs meet the latest DOT tire standards. The Endurance possibly could have met them too if Goodyear had applied for the test - you never know. Both are good choices.
Old 12-02-2020, 01:56 AM   #47

Leaning towards the Goodyear Wrangler HT or even Endurance. Thanks again for your input tdf-texas!

Does anyone know what size the center hole is on the stock white wheels? Thinking about getting stainless or chrome center caps and lug nuts to dress up the stock white wheels and just roll with them for a while.

Any input on a good center cap and quality lugs that would work for the application?
Old 12-02-2020, 07:47 AM   #48

Quote:
Does anyone know what size the center hole is on the stock white wheels? Thinking about getting stainless or chrome center caps and lug nuts to dress up the stock white wheels and just roll with them for a while.

Any input on a good center cap and quality lugs that would work for the application?
Have you considered baby moon hubcaps?

https://www.etrailer.com/search/Baby+Moon+Hubcaps
Old 12-02-2020, 08:04 AM   #49

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
Sadly we have some personal experience to offer in this regard from our recent outting.
Were the 205/75R15s over size for the classic 21 classic?

There doesn't appear to be much clearance between the tires and the trailer body.
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 08:20 AM   #50

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I'm quite confident the stock steel wheel is a Dexstar Mini-Mod 15x6 which has a 3.19" pilot hole. This is the wheel (just without pinstriping):
https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...r/AM20551.html

Lugs are 1/2"-20. I bought these and have been very happy with them:
https://recstuff.com/accessories/whe...arranty-ln011/

Pilot hole is 3.19". FYI most of the center caps available have a cheap plastic piece which is removable for access to fitting if you have EZ-Lube hubs. This piece can show wear before the rest of the center cap. We don't have EZ-Lube hubs and probably wouldn't use them if we did (that's a debate for another time) so if I was going to do it again I would get a solid cap like this:
https://recstuff.com/trailer-tires-w...er-cap-ccs006/
Old 12-02-2020, 09:11 AM   #51

Wheels

Here’s a picture of the 19 when we owned it. You can see the high polish “beauty rings” ( don’t laugh Donna) that the original owner had installed and we enjoyed while we had the trailer. I thought they made the wheels look pretty sharp. They came from a hot rod shop in Oregon and were high quality rings.
Iowa Dave
Attached Thumbnails
DC425075-52C0-454E-BEE4-E43716952BCC.jpg  
Old 12-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #52

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Here’s a picture of the 19 when we owned it. You can see the high polish “beauty rings” ( don’t laugh Donna) that the original owner had installed and we enjoyed while we had the trailer. I thought they made the wheels look pretty sharp. They came from a hot rod shop in Oregon and were high quality rings.
Iowa Dave
You need to add some chrome hub caps to match those beauty rings.

Phoenix USA QT545CHS 4.5" 5-Lug QT Hub Cover
TTMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:53 AM   #53

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTMartin View Post

There doesn't appear to be much clearance between the tires and the trailer body.
Yes- 15" wheels; ETI previously had 14" on our 2010 17B, however all trailers have had 15's for some time. No high lift kit and could go to 16's if I wanted.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_20201202-074917_Gallery.jpg  
Old 12-02-2020, 11:24 AM   #54

Thanks tdf-texas. I have thought about baby moons. Might be kind of cool looking. I'll think about that.

Thanks rubicon327! Those look like some nice lugs to combo with a center cap. I need to go to my trailer in storage and see if I have the EZ-lube hubs to determine if I need a center access cap.

Does anyone know if Escape was using EZ-lube hubs in 2016 or was it an option/uncommon?

Thanks Iowa Dave. Interesting look. We have family in Pella, IA Great town.

TTMartin I did see those chrome covers. Not a bad options as well. Those covers or baby moons could be nice as they cover all the lugs from the elements.

Leaning toward the exposed chrome lugs and centercap.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:25 AM   #55

Wheels

Quote:
You need to add some chrome hub caps to match those beauty rings.

Phoenix USA QT545CHS 4.5" 5-Lug QT Hub Cover
The rings were on the 19. We have the aluminum wheels on the 21 with the chrome (plastic) covers that Escape installed in the early days of the 21s with the chrome lug nuts.
I like that combo too. Thoer had custom wheels on his 17 that closely matched the wheels on his Highlander I think that was the tow he had then. Anyway it was a sharp looking 17.
Iowa Dave
Old 12-02-2020, 07:01 PM   #56

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
No, the 205/75R15 size has been standard on all models for quite a few years; it was 205/75R14 before that, with the original single-axle 5.0 getting a larger size (I think 215/75R15) for a while.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 09:41 AM   #57

Trailer: 2020 21ne
Following for this reason: 21NE scheduled to ship December 11, however ETI has no aluminum wheels which I wanted since we eliminated all graphics. They can ship with the white wheels but having read this thread, I'm inclined to just have the trailer sent with the white wheels and replace them when home in Texas. I've used Geolander tires for years on my trucks. Discount tire shows MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S
215 /75 R15 100T SL OWL which could fit the wheels in question.

Item# 11336
70,000 mile warranty
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2020, 10:05 AM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream View Post
Following for this reason: 21NE scheduled to ship December 11, however ETI has no aluminum wheels which I wanted since we eliminated all graphics. They can ship with the white wheels but having read this thread, I'm inclined to just have the trailer sent with the white wheels and replace them when home in Texas. I've used Geolander tires for years on my trucks. Discount tire shows MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S
215 /75 R15 100T SL OWL which could fit the wheels in question.

Item# 11336
70,000 mile warranty
Just a heads up. The MICHELIN DEFENDER LTX M/S 215 /75 R15 100T SL OWL is a P rated tire - not LT. As such, they have soft sidewalls and probably shouldn't be used on a travel trailer.

You want to look for ST or LT rated tires which are recommended for travel trailer use.

I posted earlier two tires I'm looking at that are LT rated.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...tml#post364137
Old 12-03-2020, 11:12 AM   #59

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
The Goodyear Marathons became the model for "China Bomb tires" due to it's rate of catastrophic failures. After years of ignoring the problem, Goodyear finally came out with the Endurance tire to try to regain some level of respectability. The Endurance tire is a good tire but still does not meet the latest DOT tire standards.

This video got me a bit concerned. The shredded tire in the video looks like a Maxxis M8008. I had thought they were pretty good tires but seems like they are still inferior in construction to the Goodyear Endurance. Due to a certain sequence of events we happen to have two Maxxis M8008's on the passenger side and two Goodyear Endurance on the driver's side. That's going to change fast. Local tire dealer will have two Goodyears there in the morning to install for me.
Old 12-03-2020, 11:31 AM   #60

I just noticed my father just got new Goodyear Wrangler HTs on his GMC truck. They look solid.

Dream, I agree that I wanted and was going to buy the OEM HiSpecs, but just don't know if I want to spend $500+ on wheels when they could start corroding early like some have seen.

I think I am going to stick with my white wheels, ditch the yellowed caps, and do stainless/chrome center caps, lugs, and valve stems. See the below picture of what is should look like (less the red/blue pinstriping on the wheel). I think it will be a nice aesthetic upgrade along with the peace of mind of new tires.

Nice rubicon327! Thanks for the recommendations on the lugs and center caps!
Attached Thumbnails
White Wheel.jpg