Advice on New Wheels and Tires - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 12-09-2020, 12:47 PM   #101

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Two new Goodyear Endurance on the passenger side now to complete the set of four. The Maxxis looked fine but were from 2014 so it was time for them to go. $330 (tires, mount, balance) but well worth it for the peace of mind.
Dave we have the Maxxis tires . Couldn’t wait to get rid of the Carlisle‘s on our trailer flats even when new but what scared me the most was the heat build up on the 5 freeway in the summer. The Maxxis are D rated and never get that hot is what I first noticed we have tire sensors on wheels our tires are good for 7 years so it was time for your replacement never had a flat either got to check my papers but we are at 4 1/2- 5 years now Goodyear at the time had just come out with the Endurance and I wanted to see how they held up first before I bought them I wouldn’t’t hesitate to buy them again try the Endurance now when it is time Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 01:33 PM   #102

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Two new Goodyear Endurance on the passenger side now to complete the set of four. The Maxxis looked fine but were from 2014 so it was time for them to go. $330 (tires, mount, balance) but well worth it for the peace of mind.
Just curious, Dave, why you did new tires on DS and then later replaced tires on PS?
Discount and most of the reading I did recommended doing that by axle.
I put two new on front axle prior to Christmas trip last year. Moved the two remaining best ones to the rear axle, then later in Spring replaced the rear axle with new, which followed what they were recommending.
We’re they messing with me to do it that way?
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2020, 02:22 PM   #103

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Endurance are hard to price shop, yet it can be done. Also good to have a good local tire store. Got mine last July for $460 for 4.
Old 12-09-2020, 04:01 PM   #104

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Just curious, Dave, why you did new tires on DS and then later replaced tires on PS?
Discount and most of the reading I did recommended doing that by axle.
I put two new on front axle prior to Christmas trip last year. Moved the two remaining best ones to the rear axle, then later in Spring replaced the rear axle with new, which followed what they were recommending.
We’re they messing with me to do it that way?
I think the dealer only had two in stock at the time. Hadn't gotten back around to getting the other two done. Didn't think too hard about it - just put both new on one side. Maybe they should have been on the same axle based on your research?
Old 03-25-2021, 03:39 PM   #105

Trailer: 2014 E21
Questions re valve stems. We're changing out our (pushing 7-year old) tires with a set of Goodyear Endurance tires. Any recommendations on valve stems? I assume that stainless would be preferred. But what brands are superior? Went to a couple of sites for some guidance (https://gistgear.com/car-automotive/...ls/valve-stems and https://www.etrailer.com/search/high...re+valve+stems) but left without being any the wiser. Also, what is the diameter of the rim holes for circa 2014 stainless rims supplied by Escape? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-25-2021, 04:04 PM   #106

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
When I get ready to put new tires on the 21 this summer, I will put on Goodyear Endurance, I will ask that they be balanced with stick-on weights from the inside, I will tell my tire guy I want his top of the line metal valve stems. I trust him. The hole diameter is .625 (5/8) inches. The stems don’t have to be too long but if you’re using TPMS caps the caps have to “clear” the rim. I will take one TPMS cap with me when I go. Should not be a problem. If I’d happen to get a leaky stem, a weight falls off or the tires are somehow unsatisfactory, I can go back to Rex at Goodyear and he will take care of me. He will look me up on the computer and see how many sets of tires I’ve bought in the past 15 years and tell me to go in the back and get a pop out of the machine and read the paper and I’ll be out of there shortly. I will ask the tire tech to be careful not to Garf up my rims and when I look at them and they are not beat up I will thank him and give him a tip. I really really really believe in local parts and service even when it’s not the first place I come to. I drive for service not for price and I buy the best I can afford. In my opinion this is a good way to do business. Tell them you want fresh tires and check the code date in the oval. They shouldn’t be much more than a couple months old. Set your own inflation at home and check it after a week or two or if you pull a couple hundred miles.
Check your lug nut torque too.
Others may see things differently.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-25-2021, 04:24 PM   #107

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Check your lug nut torque too.
Iowa Dave
I'm not sure how to do this. What I understand from extensive reading about my nuts is that to arrive at the correct torque, you have to loosen them off, set the torque you want and tighten until torque wrench clicks.
If you simply tighten a nut that's already in place, you won't get the correct result.
True, not true? Good enough for jazz?
Old 03-25-2021, 04:37 PM   #108

Hi Glenn
From my experience, when I set up the lug nut torque starting with mounting the tire and wheel on the studs I use a star pattern and tighten all the nuts slowly till the wheel is centered. I might go around them about three times till none are loose. Then I set my wrench at 35 ft lbs and tighten them all ( star pattern) to 35 lbs. then move up to 65 lbs and finally 95 lbs. at that time I’m pretty sure I can hear the jazz playing down the street. After 150 miles or when I stop for the day I set the wrench at 95 and walk around and click them all. Most click right away and do not move. Maybe two or three turn a little bit and click at 95. I’ve never had one turn over a full revolution or so. The next day the same process and usually no “loose”
ones. At that time I can definitely hear the jazz and recognize the tune. Might not be the recxomendation by the experts but has worked for me for nearly 60 years and I’ve never lost a lug nut, ruined a stud or felt a wobble. Cant say that about my walking. I’ve wobbled and yes even fell down my share of times.
Old 03-25-2021, 07:43 PM   #109

Thanks Dave. Good advice all the way around. I will certainly adopt your strategy re the wheel weights. And the tip re the TPMS caps having to “clear” the rim and taking one cap along. Thanks too for the hole diameter specs. I regularly check the torque on my nuts. Now to find a new tire guy; one I can trust.
Old 03-26-2021, 12:30 PM   #110
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by abby View Post
Questions re valve stems. We're changing out our (pushing 7-year old) tires with a set of Goodyear Endurance tires. Any recommendations on valve stems? I assume that stainless would be preferred. But what brands are superior? Went to a couple of sites for some guidance (https://gistgear.com/car-automotive/...ls/valve-stems and https://www.etrailer.com/search/high...re+valve+stems) but left without being any the wiser. Also, what is the diameter of the rim holes for circa 2014 stainless rims supplied by Escape? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Here is a link to the metal stems we just installed when we switched to new GoodYear Endurance tires recently:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Some wonderful person here recommended these stems. Thank you! They work well with our TPMS. Hope this helps. -Bea
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_9621.jpg  
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2021, 12:49 PM   #111

I’m sorry if I misled anyone on the rim hole diameter where the valve stem is inserted. I’m not where I can measure mine and was going from memory on that and thought it was .625
Inches. My memory is certainly not infallible that’s for sure. Probably why I depend on the guys at the tire shop to sell me what I need.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-26-2021, 01:50 PM   #112

Bea,
Abigail relied on Iowa Dave as the voice of authority regarding hole diameters. See the trusting look! Fortunately (I hope), I've stumbled onto this product which is adaptable to either the .453 or .625 holes and and claims to be pressure tested to 130 psi. See:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=AHQBFG50V6W62
But it appears that your selection would work as well. And your choice include 5 stems, which means the spare gets upgraded at no additional cost. The alternative choice has only 4 stems. Thanks for sharing.
Glenn

P.S. Dave: No harm; no foul.
Old 03-27-2021, 12:15 AM   #113

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA
Wow my head is spinning after reading this thread. To show my ignorance, I didn’t know I need to buy stems, I thought they were part of the tire itself. They look like black rubber like the tires.
Old 03-27-2021, 07:29 AM   #114

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
I just got my second set of Goodyear Endurance tires. The first set (2017) went about 32,000 miles, and could have gone a few thousand more, but we have a fair amount of travel in mind.

I specified metal stems, stick-on weights (inside and out of sight) and tires with a new manufacture date, all as recommended by a certain Iowa Dave.

The Goodyear desk person then specified the "high pressure stems" and showed me one. It is the same as what I had received without specifying with the 2017 set, so this may be standard due to the 60 PSI rating of these tires. They are metal, and seem to fit the TPMS set that I bought based on a recommendation on this forum. Probably don't need to special order stems, if getting all this from Goodyear.

I asked the desk person to check the manufacture date on the tires in stock and two were 2019 and two were May-2020. At my request, they got some fresh ones from the warehouse showing 0321, or the third week of January 2021.

By the way these tires have a weight rating of 2150 lbs each as opposed to 1820, or so, for the original Carlisles that I had one left as a spare, that I turned in. With that rating, I would feel comfortable towing a bit on three tires, if necessary. And, yes I kept two of the best 2017s.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 08:55 AM   #115

Hi Bill
Thanks for the complete tire report. You’re a little ahead of me on tire changeout but I’m going to do it this season as soon as I can collect some more nickel pop cans along the highway.
For about 40 years I’ve been buying things from a company called Forestry Suppliers in Jackson Mississippi. I get their email feed a couple times a week. Today I noticed they have the Viair model 88 portable compressor for about $82. They have most of the compressors in the Viair line. If any campers out there have ever spent any amount of time in the out of doors around folks who make their living in engineering, scientific sampling, logging and tree work and if you’ve wondered where to buy some of the neat (not cheap) equipment these folks use, check out the Forestry Suppliers on line or paper catalog. Their people on the order desk are knowledgeable, friendly and accurate. From rattlesnake gaiters to insect pinning boards to archeology tools Forestry Suppliers is a good resource.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2021, 09:23 AM   #116

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Dave.
How about a link for us lazy ones.......thanks.
Old 03-27-2021, 09:34 AM   #117

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
By the way these tires have a weight rating of 2150 lbs each as opposed to 1820, or so, for the original Carlisles that I had one left as a spare, that I turned in. With that rating, I would feel comfortable towing a bit on three tires, if necessary. And, yes I kept two of the best 2017s.

They are also rated to go 80 m.p.h., instead of 65.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:37 AM   #118

Link

www.forestry-suppliers.com

There you go Jim. How do you like your fish?
Attached Thumbnails
5381F8BA-A807-4B9F-9DC7-948B98661969.jpg  
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2021, 09:45 AM   #119

Trailer: 2021 21C
I am also looking at new wheels for our 21C coming hopefully this year. I was curious for those of you who own one and have done some work around the tires if you could tell me how much clearance there is between the tire and the fiberglass on the backside of the wheel/tire there is. I have found some wheels I like that are wider than stock by an inch but also have a small negative offset. Over all it would put the rim (by my calculation) just over an 1/8th of an inch closer to the inside wall of the camper. Hope this makes sense?
Ryan
Ryanb-72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:54 AM   #120

Hi Ryan
Sorry I’m not where I can go measure our 2013 21 with aluminum wheels. I will be where I can measure in a couple days if you don’t get a response sooner.
Iowa Dave