Advice on New Wheels and Tires - Page 7 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 03-27-2021, 11:09 AM   #121

Trailer: 2021 21C
Dave,
Thank you for the quick response. I don't think I need anything too exact. I just wanted to make sure there was ample space for a wheel that is .15 inches closer to the inside wall.
Thanks Again,
Ryan
Ryanb-72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:24 AM   #122

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
By the way these tires have a weight rating of 2150 lbs each as opposed to 1820, or so, for the original Carlisles that I had one left as a spare, that I turned in.
The load rating is only higher because the new tires are Load Range D, while the old ones were Load Range C; Carlisle makes Load Range D, too, but the trailer didn't have them (because it doesn't need them). The tire only has the rated load capacity if it is inflated to the corresponding pressure: a Load Range D tire at 50 PSI has no more load capacity than a Load Range C tire at 50 PSI. That means if you want to take advantage of the higher capacity in some circumstance, you need to pump up the tire... all the way to 65 PSI for the full 2150 pounds.

Quote:
With that rating, I would feel comfortable towing a bit on three tires, if necessary.
When a tire fails, the load within the trailer doesn't redistribute itself for you, so the remaining tire carries all of the load on that side. Even if you pump it up to 65 PSI, it will likely still be overloaded.

I can see limping off of a highway to a safe stopping point, but that's as far as I would consider going on three tires, and I assume that's what is being considered here. I wouldn't stop to pump up a traffic-side tire for this.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #123

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
It been many years since I had a blowout on a vehicle but I have had a couple in past years where I had to change a pickup tire on the traffic side of the Interstate 80 and I can tell you I do not like that situation at all. I do carry an inflator and run my Endurance tires at 60 lbs and could raise one to 65 if I needed to. I do like the D rated tires though.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-27-2021, 01:26 PM   #124

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanb-72 View Post
Dave,
Thank you for the quick response. I don't think I need anything too exact. I just wanted to make sure there was ample space for a wheel that is .15 inches closer to the inside wall.
Thanks Again,
Ryan
There's plenty of room on my 2014 21'. 2.75 inches. That's with the 205/75/15 Goodyears and the alloy/aluminum wheels.

Can't tell you about the new models, though.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:35 PM   #125

Trailer: 2021 21C
Quote:
There's plenty of room on my 2014 21'. 2.75 inches. That's with the 205/75/15 Goodyears and the alloy/aluminum wheels.

Can't tell you about the new models, though.
That should work! Thank you for the reply!!

Ryan
Ryanb-72 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 04:52 PM   #126

Quote:
I have found some wheels I like that are wider than stock by an inch but also have a small negative offset. Over all it would put the rim (by my calculation) just over an 1/8th of an inch closer to the inside wall of the camper.
I assume that the wheel offset is 3/8" more negative, compensating for all but 1/8" of the 1/2" of additional backspacing caused by the added 1" of wheel width.

Quote:
I just wanted to make sure there was ample space for a wheel that is .15 inches closer to the inside wall.
The extra one inch of wheel width will add significantly less than one inch to the width across the sidewall, so the tire will bulge out from the rim less than with the stock wheel width, so if the rim is only 1/8" further inboard the sidewall won't likely be further inboard at all.
Old 03-27-2021, 05:06 PM   #127

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
I haven't seen any post on the Rainer trailer tires. On my 2020 trailer ETI installed Rainer Radial trailer tire ST205/75R15 load range D 8 PLY. 6 year warranty. I haven't had them long enough to review.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st/
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2021, 09:42 PM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
I haven't seen any post on the Rainer trailer tires. On my 2020 trailer ETI installed Rainer Radial trailer tire ST205/75R15 load range D 8 PLY. 6 year warranty. I haven't had them long enough to review.

https://www.tredittire.com/tire/rainier-st/
As I hope most people realize by now, these tires don't have 8-ply construction (and don't need it). "Ply ratings" is an obsolete system of describing load range by comparison with antiquated tire construction practices; it just means Load Range D.

Escape has been using the Rainiers for a while and they've been mentioned a few times.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:52 PM   #129

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
Lot of talk about Goodyear Endurance. I replaced the Carlisle’s on my 17B with the Goodyear Endurance. I have only put about 3000mi on them so far in the last year. I am running them about 5psi lower than the Carlisle as they semed a little more firm. Otherwise no complaints yet.
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 12:59 PM   #130

Trailer: 2020 Esacpe 19'(Hillbilly Heaven) ETI best named trailer of the year
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
As I hope most people realize by now, these tires don't have 8-ply construction (and don't need it). "Ply ratings" is an obsolete system of describing load range by comparison with antiquated tire construction practices; it just means Load Range D.

Escape has been using the Rainiers for a while and they've been mentioned a few times.

I do now.. A closer look at the tire its 8PR 8 ply rated. so do these D Rated tires at 50 PSI have a stronger side than A C 6PR rated tire at 50 PSI ?
NEWYORKHILLBILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2021, 01:14 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWYORKHILLBILLY View Post
so do these D Rated tires at 50 PSI have a stronger side than A C 6PR rated tire at 50 PSI ?
The higher-rated tire does have a stronger sidewall, but it doesn't help with load capacity unless the higher pressure is used. At the same pressure, they have the same load capacity.

The stronger sidewall may be due to an extra ply of reinforcing cord, but more likely just has the same number of plys (layers) but of stronger cord.
Old 03-31-2021, 01:56 PM   #132

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
I'm looking at replacing my tires at about 4 years. And I'm questioning also replacing the spare tire. It may not have much road mileage, but it seems it is as susceptible to rot as the other tires.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:02 PM   #133

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
I'm looking at replacing my tires at about 4 years. And I'm questioning also replacing the spare tire. It may not have much road mileage, but it seems it is as susceptible to rot as the other tires.
The tire cover protects the spare and in the offseason I put the spare in the garage when not in use. So your spare could still be a viable spare. The issue is whether the treads will match if not replacing with the same tires.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:05 PM   #134
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My Dad taught me that a spare is only good to get you to the tire store. Remember the old days, when you'd buy four tires and rotate the best of the old four to be the spare? Maybe you rotate ALL the tires on your trailer. I do not.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 03:16 PM   #135

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Reace said to rotate tires forward and back on the same side. Since I only have one axle, I do nothing.
Old 03-31-2021, 03:21 PM   #136

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
On this set of Endurance Goodyear’s on the 21 I rotated them about every 8000 mites. Got nice even wear including the spare in the rotation. Been rotating tires of my own and when I grew up in the Standard oil station, for customers and my Dad. 55 years of lug nuts, hub caps, picking our rocks with an ice pick, and hitting that Schrader valve stem with the Acme tire tester on Saturday morning. No reason to let tires age out, fool them and wear them out first.
Iowa Dave
Old 03-31-2021, 07:54 PM   #137

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
To me a spare that is only 4 years old, may not have gotten any use, and has been out of the weather, is still an acceptable spare. Even if it was used in a 5 tire rotation, as mine have been, I still would feel comfortable keeping one as a spare.

As Glenn showed in post #23, Carlisle now offers a Load Range C trailer tire rated at 1820 lbs, and 50psi, but also offers a Load Range D tire rated at 2150 lbs, and 65 psi. Rainier likewise has these two offerings and Rainier shows a 81 mph speed limit.

The Goodyear Endurance are similar to the load ratings of the other two brands: D rated 2150 lbs, and 65 psi, but slightly higher speed rating at 87 mph.

The Carlisle that was my spare until last week was the original Load Range C, but never saw the pavement after I got the Goodyears. It was over 7 years old, and I am confident it would have been ok in a pinch, but I wouldn't have wanted to run it for long due to its difference from the others in load rating, psi, and just age.
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2021, 03:36 PM   #138

Quote:
... Carlisle now offers a Load Range C trailer tire rated at 1820 lbs, and 50psi, but also offers a Load Range D tire rated at 2150 lbs, and 65 psi. Rainier likewise has these two offerings and Rainier shows a 81 mph speed limit.

The Goodyear Endurance are similar to the load ratings of the other two brands: D rated 2150 lbs, and 65 psi, but slightly higher speed rating at 87 mph.
Tire load ratings are standardized, so all ST tires of the same size and load range will have the same load capacity. The inflation pressure is linked to the load capacity: for the same load range, the rated capacity will always be at the same pressure, for any brand or model of ST tire. It makes these comparisons easier - there's no need to keep track of load capacities (in pounds or kg).

Quote:
... I wouldn't have wanted to run it for long due to its difference from the others in load rating, psi, and just age.
I agree with at least part of this: tires of different load ranges can just be run at the same pressure (and will then have the same load capacity) but the slight difference in sidewall construction will still make them less than ideally matched to run together.
Old 05-25-2021, 12:46 AM   #139

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
Sadly we have some personal experience to offer in this regard from our recent outting.

We were 2 hours from home and one of our tires delaminated...

We have a TPMS on the tires but unfortunately as the tire did not loose pressure we received no early warning.

We were quickly able to pull over to the side of I-5 but not before some damage was done to the trailer.

Having the dual axel proved it's worth with this issue as we were safety able to come to a stop on the side of the freeway and were able to change the tire. Fortunately the failed tire was on the passenger side and away from traffic. Even so, passing truck and vehicle traffic caused considerable movement to the trailer making the tire change a bit stressful.

So now that we are safely home, I'll be doing a search for fiberglass repair, new tires and wondering if/how the wheel well might be reinforced against future tire issues.

Attachment 52384Attachment 52385Attachment 52386Attachment 52387
Greetings all,
Hope everyone has been safe and well these last many months.

Just wanted to provide a little update to the repair of our fiberglass damage.

As you can see from the pictures it's as if it never happened.. So if anybody in the San Francisco Bay area needs a recommendation for fiberglass work I got one for you Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210521_191928017.MP.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	55780Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20210521_191918812.MP.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	55781
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2021, 06:04 PM   #140

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21
Rainer tire failures…belt slip

We have a 2018 21’ Escape and have been traveling for about a month.
2 of our original Rainer tires have done the same thing, balloon out like a tire tube. This caused weird wear and made them out of round. I’ve bought 4 Carlisle tires as a replacement, but haven’t gotten them all on the trailer yet. No blowouts thank goodness. I check tires at every fill-up and caught them both in short order.

Just thought Y’all should know.
thiggins01 is offline   Reply With Quote