Advice on New Wheels and Tires - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-29-2020, 09:39 AM   #21

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Thing is one would have to go to 6 or more likely 8 lug hubs for wheels needed to run 16" tires.
These won't work on a Dexter #10 as the hub and bearings won't fit in a Dexrer #10 axle spindle. One would need 7K axles- hardly worth the effort.

Michelin used to make 15" LTX but discontinued them.
Old 11-29-2020, 10:03 AM   #22

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Mine after 7 years have no noticeable corrosion. Did have to paint the yellowed plastic hubs.
Attached Thumbnails
hubcaps.jpg  
Old 11-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #23

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Carlisle ST tires are rated at 81 mph as are tires from other manufacturers.
Attached Thumbnails
Screen Shot 2020-11-29 at 8.14.07 AM.jpg  
Old 11-29-2020, 10:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 2010 Escape 17B
On my 2010 17B, the yellowed hubcaps actually perfectly match the off white color of these earlier trailers
flynfrfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:43 AM   #25

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21C
Thanks Centex! Ok good advice. No compromise to lug seated direct to wheel.

Not a huge chrome fan either but I am leaning toward the chrome PVD modular steel 15" wheel from etrailer.com

Thanks I'll check out that video tdf-texas!

It seems like people have strong opinions about ST vs. LT. From what I can tell it seems like there is little downside to going with an LT and some of the high end manufacturers are using them from factory (Oliver, Airstream). I did watch a prior You Tube video from that same account as was posted earlier in this tread (Long Long Honeymoon - Couple with Airstream) and I could have sworn that they talked with a tire store or RV repair shop owner that said LT is the way to go, but you should use a 16" LT as once you size down to a 15" LT the sidewall is softer (maybe by design). I could be wrong and will need to rewatch the video tonight. They may have only be referring to the Michelin LTX?

Any input on 16" LT vs 15" LT? I am committed to sticking with a 15" wheel, just wondering if there is any concern with a 15" LT? I wouldn't think so but just thought I heard something.
BNico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 11:48 AM   #26

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Carlisle ST tires are rated at 81 mph as are tires from other manufacturers.
Which is speed rating M. And still don't meet current DOT tire standards.

The Goodyear LT are rated Q - 100 mph. The Yokohama LT are rated S - 112 mph. Both are much better tires.
Old 11-29-2020, 11:53 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNico View Post
Thanks Centex! Ok good advice. No compromise to lug seated direct to wheel.

Not a huge chrome fan either but I am leaning toward the chrome PVD modular steel 15" wheel from etrailer.com

Thanks I'll check out that video tdf-texas!

It seems like people have strong opinions about ST vs. LT. From what I can tell it seems like there is little downside to going with an LT and some of the high end manufacturers are using them from factory (Oliver, Airstream). I did watch a prior You Tube video from that same account as was posted earlier in this tread (Long Long Honeymoon - Couple with Airstream) and I could have sworn that they talked with a tire store or RV repair shop owner that said LT is the way to go, but you should use a 16" LT as once you size down to a 15" LT the sidewall is softer (maybe by design). I could be wrong and will need to rewatch the video tonight. They may have only be referring to the Michelin LTX?

Any input on 16" LT vs 15" LT? I am committed to sticking with a 15" wheel, just wondering if there is any concern with a 15" LT? I wouldn't think so but just thought I heard something.
I bet he's talking about the Michelin LTX tires. The Michelin 15" LTX is not rated LT and is a P rated tire - you have to get the 16" LTX to get the LT rating.

Go figure Michelin would use the same misleading LTX name for both LT and non-LT tires.
Old 11-29-2020, 12:05 PM   #28

From Etrailer:

Choosing Between ST and LT Tires for a 5th Wheel Trailer
Question:
Is a lt and a st tire comparable for 5th wheel

asked by: Jerry

Expert Reply:
Yes, both special trailer (ST) and light truck (LT) tires can be used on a 5th wheel trailer. They are actually the only two types of tires rated for this use. The reason for this is that tires on a trailer will be subjected to much harsher conditions that require a stiffer sidewall. A condition in which passenger (P) tires are not equipped to handle. Please note there are two different light truck (LT) tires, ones with the LT designation after the wheel diameter (ex. 7.50-16LT) and ones with the LT designation before the aspect ratio (ex. LT275/80-16). The ones with the LT designation after the wheel diameter are the ones that can be used on trailers.

If you are in between a special trailer and light truck tire then try to think of it this way. The light truck tires are made for just that, light trucks but can also be used on trailers due to their sidewall capacity whereas special trailer tires are made specifically for trailers. They will perform better than a light truck tire in my opinion. The only real benefit I see of using a light truck tire is more tread patterns available which won't really matter when traveling down the open road. They are also more attainable locally.
https://www.etrailer.com/question-329237.html
Old 11-29-2020, 12:11 PM   #29

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Have had a good experience with Maxxis M8008’s and Goodyear Endurance. Since we have an early trailer we run ST205/75R14 but 15’s would fit without issue.
Also another Maxxis M8008 satisfied customer . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:32 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Sadly we have some personal experience to offer in this regard from our recent outting.

We were 2 hours from home and one of our tires delaminated...

We have a TPMS on the tires but unfortunately as the tire did not loose pressure we received no early warning.

We were quickly able to pull over to the side of I-5 but not before some damage was done to the trailer.

Having the dual axel proved it's worth with this issue as we were safety able to come to a stop on the side of the freeway and were able to change the tire. Fortunately the failed tire was on the passenger side and away from traffic. Even so, passing truck and vehicle traffic caused considerable movement to the trailer making the tire change a bit stressful.

So now that we are safely home, I'll be doing a search for fiberglass repair, new tires and wondering if/how the wheel well might be reinforced against future tire issues.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201127_214959672.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	52384Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201127_212206239.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	52385Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201127_215015213.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	52386Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20201129_182915097.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	52387
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:45 PM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7th Heaven View Post
Sadly we have some personal experience to offer in this regard from our recent outting.

We were 2 hours from home and one of our tires delaminated...

We have a TPMS on the tires but unfortunately as the tire did not loose pressure we received no early warning.

We were quickly able to pull over to the side of I-5 but not before some damage was done to the trailer.

Having the dual axel proved it's worth with this issue as we were safety able to come to a stop on the side of the freeway and were able to change the tire. Fortunately the failed tire was on the passenger side and away from traffic. Even so, passing truck and vehicle traffic caused considerable movement to the trailer making the tire change a bit stressful.

So now that we are safely home, I'll be doing a search for fiberglass repair, new tires and wondering if/how the wheel well might be reinforced against future tire issues.
Ouch. Out of curiosity, how old was the tire... Born On Date?
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #32

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
Which is speed rating M. And still don't meet current DOT tire standards.

The Goodyear LT are rated Q - 100 mph. The Yokohama LT are rated S - 112 mph. Both are much better tires.

Had Geolander LT on my Ford Explorer. As they wore they became louder and louder, to the point you couldn't tell if the engine was revving or not.

Not a problem with a trailer, but I sure wouldn't put them on my tow vehicle again. The municipality also pulled them from district vehicles and replaced them ( don't know with what ).
Old 11-29-2020, 01:03 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Had Geolander LT on my Ford Explorer. As they wore they became louder and louder, to the point you couldn't tell if the engine was revving or not.

Not a problem with a trailer, but I sure wouldn't put them on my tow vehicle again. The municipality also pulled them from district vehicles and replaced them ( don't know with what ).
The Yokohama tires are somewhat noisy - but they are also snowflake rated. That's why I am considering them as I have been caught in unexpected snowstorms before and could have used the extra traction on the trailer. I really don't like the idea of chains on the trailer.

Also, the snowflake rating gives it great wet weather traction - it tends to rain a LOT here in the gulf coast.

The Goodyear LT tires may end up the choice but it would be after consideration of the available tires rated LT in 15".
Old 11-29-2020, 01:06 PM   #34

Trailer: 2021 E21C
7th Heaven, please post what you come up with, both your tire choices and any reinforcement solutions. Sorry you had that happen and glad it wasn't even worse!

Our 21C will be ready late February. I towed Airstreams for more than 10 years and had tire issues several times, had both Carlisles and Marathons. In all cases, I was fortunate to discover the pending tire separations while the trailers were parked.

The last time it happened, however, I was on a trip with my daughter (precious cargo) and the trailer tires looked great at a casual glance. But on the inside edges of two of the tires, the steel cords were already beginning to bust through the tire. We were almost certainly only a few miles away from a catastrophic tire failure. I only discovered the issue because our campsite was really sloped and I was crawling around with pieces of wood to put under the tires to level the trailer. I might not have noticed otherwise. I was always pretty fanatical about checking tire pressures and lug nut torques on every trip.

The A/S was a heavy trailer, 6800#+ when typically set up with our camping stuff. One of the reasons for downsizing to an Escape is having a much lighter trailer. I was hoping that would translate also into less worry about tire failures but now I'm thinking it's still a real concern.
glsails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 01:14 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Ouch. Out of curiosity, how old was the tire... Born On Date?
I'm sure it will be Too Old ... Ironically after this trip I was planning on some major trailer maintenance, including tires, brakes and bearings along with other planned interior upgrades
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 03:21 PM   #36

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Thing is one would have to go to 6 or more likely 8 lug hubs for wheels needed to run 16" tires.
While 16" trailer wheels for 5-bolt hubs are not common (and maybe not available at all), 6-bolt will work, in the 6-on-5.5" pattern.

Quote:
These won't work on a Dexter #10 as the hub and bearings won't fit in a Dexrer #10 axle spindle. One would need 7K axles- hardly worth the effort.
Although 5-on-4.5" hubs are standard equipment for the Torflex #10 and other 3500-pound Dexter axles, 6-on-5.5" hubs and hub-drums are available for the Torflex #10 - Dexter calls this a "655 hub".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #37

Trailer: "Side Effect" 2022 21C
I have Carlisle’s on my John Deere riding mower.

The Goodyear’s and Michelin’s I’ve run and abused on my vehicles for years never had that problem. Ever!
WillyB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 04:34 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by WillyB View Post
I have Carlisle’s on my John Deere riding mower.

The Goodyear’s and Michelin’s I’ve run and abused on my vehicles for years never had that problem. Ever!
I have to be honest - the three year old Carlisle tires on my trailer have been trouble free.

Those Goodyear Marathon's that were on my Casita - I can't say the same. I inspected and replaced all of them after seeing bubbles on two tires. I did this after reading about them on the Casita forum.
Old 11-29-2020, 05:58 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
While 16" trailer wheels for 5-bolt hubs are not common (and maybe not available at all), 6-bolt will work, in the 6-on-5.5" pattern.

Although 5-on-4.5" hubs are standard equipment for the Torflex #10 and other 3500-pound Dexter axles, 6-on-5.5" hubs and hub-drums are available for the Torflex #10 - Dexter calls this a "655 hub".
Thanks Brian; I searched- yet not good enough. Now folks do have an option to go 16" wheels-don't think that has ever been brought up here before.
Old 11-29-2020, 06:48 PM   #40

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
One year in, and about 7000 mi on the Goodyear Endurance. So far looking good.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote