Advice on New Wheels and Tires - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-28-2020, 03:18 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21C
Advice on New Wheels and Tires

I just purchased a used 2016 Escape 21C. I have been looking to get new wheels and tires and would love some input on my choices.

I currently have the stock white wheels (with yellowing center caps) and original tires. I have been wanting to upgrade to the factory upgrade HiSpec Modular Aluminum wheels, but have been doing some research on the forum and have found a number of people have been seeing some premature corrosion.

It seems like a powder coated wheel might be the most rust/corrosion resistant option and I would love to find a wheel that is really easy to clean/maintain and resists rust/corrosion as best as possible.

I found this below PVD finished option on etrailer.com and was wondering if anybody had any input on a PVD finished wheel. Might be a little flashier than I would like but if it is a stronger finish than the HiSpec I would be open to it. See below:

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Tir...lated-products

Let me know if anyone has any input on a good option or I am open to going HiSpec as I do like the OEM look.

Once I figure out the wheel, any input on what else I need? I assume I will need a center cap, lugs, and maybe steel valve stems. I plan to have a local tire shop mount them and want to have the balancing weights stuck on the inside of the barrel of the wheel.

Also it seems like a lot of people use Goodyear Endurance tires, but was wondering if anyone had any other recommendations. I think I saw some people talking about a Maxxis tire as well. I also have heard of people using an LT tire, but I am not sure if that is an option for a 15" wheel, only a 16". Wonder if a 16" wheel will even work for an Escape, I assume not?

Just want to spend some time and extra money to make sure I get a really solid setup that also looks good.

Any input on products and the install for a newb would be much appreciated!!!!
BNico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #2

Trailer: 2023 E19
Stick with trailer spec tires.

My understanding is that LT tires do not have the sidewall structure/rigidity required for trailers. I upgraded the tires on our Scamp `13 to Carlisle Trail HD tires which seem comparable to the Rainier ST tires that came installed on our new 17b. Both are 8 ply with an M (81mph) speed rating. I'm sure others will disagree, but I am not a fan of Goodyear tires.
Corgbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 04:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
My Hi-Spec I bought from ETI started corroding after about one year. They just got worse and finally bought some new wheels in July of 2019. By February 2020 I noticed they too were beginning to peel the clear coat. The Mfg. let me trade for a powder coat and have had no issues with them. If you live near ocean in Long Beach you might want to cover the wheels when parked. Although you could go 16" most likely it would make it a little harder to put a cover on.

First ones were Raceline Stylus and the replacements were Raceline Outlander. Cost was $102/ea.
Attached Thumbnails
Hi-Spec.jpg   Raceline1.jpg  
Old 11-28-2020, 04:22 PM   #4

You can see the clear coat peeling on the spoke edge. LOVE the new Endurance tires. Wearing like iron; have 5K on them and have never had tires look so good after that.
Attached Thumbnails
raceline2.jpg   raceline3.jpg  
Old 11-28-2020, 04:25 PM   #5

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19 Chevy 2012 Express 3500 Van
Mine came with Carlisle tires

My 2016 came with them and I've replaced one with a Carlisle. On a sailboat trailer I had, I also used them and found they provided longer service life...not from miles but sun & ozone degradation. Other brands didn't last as long. I've had good experience with them and stick with them.
HABBERDABBER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 06:37 PM   #6

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
IME even quality PVD 'pseudo chrome plating', like quality clearcoat and powdercoat, will eventually show failure at lug-nut seats, though it is the more robust of the three when done well. Sharp corners / edges are the 'weak point' for all and invite the start of coating failure, so IMO look for shapes that avoid those for best longevity. Low-quality any of them can exhibit premature flaking, etc.

IF any of them on steel, coating failure exposes creeping rust; if on aluminum alloy, that exposes creeping aluminum oxidation. Pick your poison.

It's very difficult if not impossible to match the aesthetic robust-ness of olde-fashioned high-quality multi-layer chrome plating, but alas the environmental costs of that process have pretty much relegated it to applications of true functional necessity (e.g. hydraulic cylinders and rods, etc). The acids and hexavalent chrome that are inevitable byproducts are expensive to contain / properly manage and if loosed in the environment are truly bad actors.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:07 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 15B sold, 2019 Escape 19
Watch this, LT tires on Airstream
Effie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 07:26 PM   #8

Thing is one would have to go to 6 or more likely 8 lug hubs for wheels needed to run 16" tires.
Old 11-28-2020, 07:28 PM   #9

Just curious, I know 15" wheels, but what's the OE tire size (width / profile) and lug-spacing on the Escape tandem axle trailers?

Thanks In Advance
Old 11-28-2020, 07:56 PM   #10

5 lug on 4.5".
Old 11-28-2020, 08:07 PM   #11

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogndogz View Post
My understanding is that LT tires do not have the sidewall structure/rigidity required for trailers.
That's not true. The only type of tires which are not suitable for use at their full load rating with trailers are "passenger car" tires - the ones that usually have a type/size designation starting with "P", but may have no letter in front. Passenger car type tires are also not suitable for use at their full load rating with vans or light trucks... even though many small vans, SUVs, and pickup trucks come with them. Light truck (LT) and commercial tires are suitable for trailers.

The real problem with LT tires, as already mentioned, is simply finding them in a size that suits the trailer and its stock wheels. Even in 16", there is still a problem finding suitable wheels which fit without requiring the hubs to be changed as well.

There are also commercial tires (meaning suitable for use with commercial vehicles including trucks, vans, and trailers) and that adds some sizes that are not available in LT... but 205/75R15 is still likely to be found only in passenger car and ST ("Special Trailer") tires not LT or commercial.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:08 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by Centex View Post
Just curious, I know 15" wheels, but what's the OE tire size (width / profile) and lug-spacing on the Escape tandem axle trailers?

Thanks In Advance
ST 205/75R15

I will be replacing my tires soon as they will shortly be due. I will be replacing them with either of these.

Yokohama GEOLANDAR A/T G015 - SIZE: LT215/75R15
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...WLV2&tab=Sizes

Goodyear Wrangler HT LT215/75R15 106/103Q D BSL TL
https://www.amazon.com/Goodyear-Wran.../dp/B07586XNS7
Old 11-28-2020, 08:09 PM   #13

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogndogz View Post
I upgraded the tires on our Scamp `13 to Carlisle Trail HD tires which seem comparable to the Rainier ST tires that came installed on our new 17b. Both are 8 ply with an M (81mph) speed rating.
They are both Load Range D; neither will actually have 8 plies of reinforcement. From a previous round of this discussion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
"8-ply" is actually 8-ply rating, and simply means Load Range D. These tires certainly do not have 8 plies of cord, and haven't for decades. The ply rating is obsolete.
  • 2-ply rating = Load Range A, max ~24 PSI (not used any more)
  • 4-ply rating = Load Range B, max ~32 PSI (standard for cars)
  • 6-ply rating = Load Range C, max ~50 PSI (typical for lighter trucks and trailers)
  • 8-ply rating = Load Range D, max ~65 PSI (typical higher rating for small trailers)
  • 10-ply rating = Load Range E, max ~80 PSI (typical higher rating for pickup trucks and 16" wheel trailers)
Since the stock size of tires on any Escape has more than enough load capacity for the trailer (even at maximum gross trailer weight) at 50 PSI, a load range higher than "C" has little if any benefit, but some people who like rock-hard tires prefer load range D, and the load range D tires are still suitable, even if run at 50 PSI.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2020, 08:10 PM   #14

Right, and that is what I inflate my Goodyear Endurance at. The minimum load range available for them is D.
Old 11-28-2020, 09:31 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Have had a good experience with Maxxis M8008’s and Goodyear Endurance. Since we have an early trailer we run ST205/75R14 but 15’s would fit without issue.
Old 11-28-2020, 11:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21C
Wow! Thanks so much everyone for all the input!!!

Rossue, wow what a shame. Your stock wheels really took a beating. That is what I am afraid of. Thanks for your tire input! Hope those powder coated units hold up better for you.

Centex, Is there any way to use some sort of a nylon washer or something to protect the lug seat? To clarify, other than old-school chrome, are you saying the PVD is the way to go? Interesting take on the sharp corners being the first areas to go, noted!

FYI Centex, my stock tires that came on my 2016 Escape 21C are Carlisle Radial RT - ST205/75R15 - 5 lug on 4.5"

Thanks tdf-txas, I have heard of someone using the Goodyear Wrangler HTs. Any input on why an LT tire is better? Is it just a more substantial tire, deeper treads, better quality, etc.? Do you think they would ride as smooth as a trailer tire? I am interested in the concept.

Any other input from all would be appreciated! Thanks again!
BNico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 12:44 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by BNico View Post
Centex, Is there any way to use some sort of a nylon washer or something to protect the lug seat?
IMO nothing should ever be placed between a lug nut and the wheel, that could compromise the function of the assembly. We're not talking about "protecting" the lug seat in any functionally meaningful sense, we're talking about aesthetics, nothing more, and shouldn't try to make anything more of it IMO.

Quote:
To clarify, other than old-school chrome, are you saying the PVD is the way to go?
Nope, just saying that IME quality PVD is a more long-term aesthetically robust coating than clearcoat on aluminum alloy or pigmented powdercoat on aluminum or steel, but again, all will eventually show their aesthetic flaws due to normal wear-and-tear. Personally I don't care enough for the chrome-wheel look to want it, YMMV, you gotta make your own choice about the way to go for you.

Maybe worth noting that there was a rash of PVD coating flaking on certain near-new Ford OE PVD wheels a few years ago. Stuff happens.

As far as tires, I've run the gamut of ST and LT / 'truck' tires on RV and other trailers of all sizes over the decades and honestly can't attribute any trend to any of 'em other than that ST tires are more often more expensive and more difficult to source on short-notice when on the road. Personally I've never felt compelled to only run ST tires on my trailers, I've generally transitioned to LTs if available in appropriate size when the OE ST's age-out.
Old 11-29-2020, 02:09 AM   #18

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
I have the aluminum rims on our 2016 Escape 19 and they are showing a little corrosion spidering here and there . When I want to fix them I’m getting them powder coated. A nice silver grey. Polished aluminum always has clear coat issues. Maybe not if you live in Arizona.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2020, 08:22 AM   #19

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Thanks tdf-txas, I have heard of someone using the Goodyear Wrangler HTs. Any input on why an LT tire is better? Is it just a more substantial tire, deeper treads, better quality, etc.? Do you think they would ride as smooth as a trailer tire? I am interested in the concept.

Any other input from all would be appreciated! Thanks again!
LT tires are required to meet DOT tire standards - ST tires are exempt from meeting these standards. ST tires are still based on tire standards that were put in place in the 70's when the national speed limit was 55 mph. That is why ST tires are always speed rated much lower that LT tires - they are not built to withstand sustained high speed use.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/sites/nhtsa.do.../tp-139-02.pdf

LT tires are rated for use on trailers so that is not an issue. So why do trailer manufacturers use ST tires? They are cheaper - most are made in China. Failure rates for ST tires are higher than DOT approved tires - so much so that some makes of ST tires are called "China Bomb tires".

The Goodyear Marathons became the model for "China Bomb tires" due to it's rate of catastrophic failures. After years of ignoring the problem, Goodyear finally came out with the Endurance tire to try to regain some level of respectability. The Endurance tire is a good tire but still does not meet the latest DOT tire standards.

Old 11-29-2020, 08:45 AM   #20

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
FWIW Oliver uses Michelin LT tires stock from the factory but they are on 16” aluminum rims.
Attached Thumbnails
2FEE5DAD-E78E-48D5-9DA1-0147184EF204.jpg