Aftermarket Water Tank Heating Pads - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2022, 01:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 - Escape 19
Aftermarket Water Tank Heating Pads

Hi - Am interested in adding water tank heating pads to help in the shoulder seasons when temps may dip down below freezing. A couple of questions:

1. Is it worth protecting the tanks if you don't protect the supply lines, valves, etc...?

2. Most of the pads I see that are commercially available seem to have an internal thermostat that comes on about 45 degrees F and shuts off at 68 degrees F. Seems like a waste of energy to have them heat the tank to 68 degrees. Any out there with manual/adjustable thermostats?

3. Assume you need shore power to operate these heaters , correct?

Thanks in advance.
tsdanforth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2022, 03:41 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had 12v pads on my first Escape and determined that you had to be hooked up to electric as the pads use 12v to heat your tank which is not very efficient. I find as long as you have the heat on and are using the Escape, you should be fine.
Old 01-09-2023, 07:17 PM   #3

Trailer: 2022 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsdanforth View Post
Hi - Am interested in adding water tank heating pads to help in the shoulder seasons when temps may dip down below freezing. A couple of questions:

1. Is it worth protecting the tanks if you don't protect the supply lines, valves, etc...?

2. Most of the pads I see that are commercially available seem to have an internal thermostat that comes on about 45 degrees F and shuts off at 68 degrees F. Seems like a waste of energy to have them heat the tank to 68 degrees. Any out there with manual/adjustable thermostats?

3. Assume you need shore power to operate these heaters , correct?

Thanks in advance.
I don't know on the E19, but on the 21C, the water supply lines are exposed below the trailer. On a windy, below freezing day, they can freeze pretty quickly.

And yes, the thermostats built into the pads are a waste of energy. On shore power, it probably doesn't matter, but heating up your poo to 68F on batteries will run them down quickly.

For more efficiency, you can install an external 12V DC temperature control like this one ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07CH7W3XP/ ) which has configurable set points. If you just want to have the pad turn on within a narrower range than the built-in thermostat provides, you can just use the external thermostat in addition to the internal thermostat.
hugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:25 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
On my ‘21 E19, water lines are inside.

Tags
freeze protection, heating pads