Age appropriate bed stairs TA5.0 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-06-2022, 04:23 PM   #1

Trailer: 2017 F250
Age appropriate bed stairs TA5.0

We like our TA 5.0, but the steps inside the camper were not age-appropriate. That is to say, we’re getting older and the likelihood and cost of falling are increasing.

We made three significant improvements: we removed the carpet on the steps; we replaced the bottom step with a full step that lifts out of the way when not needed; we added/reinforced handrails.

In the process, we modified the under stair storage: We made the storage area accessible from the front of the second step; we opened up the top step - adding laundry bags; We added clips to the back wall to hang miscellaneous tools (jack crank handles, etc. ) that we never use, but might some day)

The net result is: the steps are not slippery; we have stronger and better hand rails; we have a full step at night on the bottom; we have a lot more usable storage area; and during the day the entryway is “bigger” both physically and visually.

Most of the carpentry and the design of the button step was done by my friend Mitch, and I did the installation.

For the steps we used Lowe’s/Home Depot fabricated/veneered “oak steps”. To reinforce the corners where we placed the hand rails we glued and screwed half inch thick oak molding. All of the hand rails are Sea Dog boat rails (Go2marine). For the front of the second step we use the existing front, turning it into a door.

The second step is hinged. It is attached to the wall, which serves as the first supporting “leg” and when it comes down the second supporting “leg” extends. It is sufficiently sturdy, but I am still refining tolerances, etc. so that comes down more easily.

For nighttime use we have added motion activated stair lights that have been modified with red automotive tail light repair tape. These lights are indoor outdoor lights and I have placed one in the bathroom.

We use the modifications recently on a 10 day trip and we’re very happy with the results. We will undoubtedly make some modifications but they are likely to be minor.
Attached Thumbnails
A8D50B0B-615D-4EAC-9D05-0FB22D745179a.jpg   D9E9D0DF-E1B6-45D1-A087-0CCA2BFF7EC8a.jpg   66E15704-CEE1-46FE-B3BA-06E356D7F11Fa.jpg  
Little Richie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:23 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Good mods. Always nice to be able to do mods that give you an increased sense of comfort and confidence.

Is there something that stops the bottom step from flipping up if weight is put on the end nearest the door?

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 09:39 PM   #3

Trailer: 2020 5.0TA
Little Ritchie, did you have factory installed reinforcing?
We did not, kind of wish we did now. Trying to understand my handrail options etc. without benefit of reinforcing.
We aren't getting any younger either.
Padre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2022, 11:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Lightbulb fold-away bottom step!

Age / mobility / extra width aside, IMO the idea of the fold-away bottom step is particularly nifty, and as far as I know a new one here (could be wrong about that).

Sure, a tiny bit of under-step storage is lost but methinks it makes the second step a bit friendlier as a seat for changing shoes near the entry and makes the entry area more 'open' when folded-up.

Hmmm, just might have to explore that idea and maybe borrow (OK, steal ) that one, perhaps with some variation.

Kudos for making your Escape yours, nice work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Is there something that stops the bottom step from flipping up if weight is put on the end nearest the door?
It would seem the hinge on the opposite end, fastened to the piece attached to the bath-wall framing and/or floor would preclude that?
Old 01-07-2022, 07:16 AM   #5

Trailer: 2018 None
Wow, what a great idea. Centrex nailed it by saying it would make a great place to put on shoes. I also love the hand rails.
GeorgeB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 07:54 AM   #6

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
When!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Wow, what a great idea. Centrex nailed it by saying it would make a great place to put on shoes. I also love the hand rails.
Hi: GeorgeB... I too added a well placed 12" hand rail to the corner. It works from both the bed and the floor and keeps a person closer to the closet side of the stairs. It also looks well with our other wrought iron hat rack and towel bar. The only thing I resent is the reference to "Age appropriate", since I'm entering my second childhood. I've long stated that when I can't manage the stairs... the trailer will be gone!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist View Post
Hi: GeorgeB... I too added a well placed 12" hand rail to the corner. It works from both the bed and the floor and keeps a person closer to the closet side of the stairs. It also looks well with our other wrought iron hat rack and towel bar. The only thing I resent is the reference to "Age appropriate", since I'm entering my second childhood. I've long stated that when I can't manage the stairs... the trailer will be gone!!!
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
Escape Artist, Age Appropriate HA! ha! My wife used that wording when I bought a new skateboard on my 50th birthday.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2020 Escape 5.0TA "Zen"
Nice mod!

I took a different approach when leaving the sleeper.

I turn over on my stomach and slide off.

I can place my feet exactly where I want without fear of falling off the steps. The bottom step is easy to find and properly place my foot this way. Otherwise it's a crap shoot.

Crawling out on your stomach instead of scootching on your butt, will give you much greater control, particularly on that bottom step. My wife saw me doing it and does it now too. I like the mod, but turning over takes away most or all the risk for me.

We too have a motion activated light in the bathroom and love it.
UncleTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 01:15 PM   #9

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
At night we place a motion activated puck light on the kitchen countertop that comes on when we get to the edge of the bed. We also have the LP gas detector at the bottom of the step that acts as a nightlight, so we never miss stepping on the bottom step.

A outside motion light comes on when we open the toilet door, but it's placed upside down so it doesn't blind us at night.

We also have a handrail angled on the passenger side so when grabbing the rail it keeps us away from the angled bottom step, so we're fine with the bottom step. We also grab the stripper pole once we're on the bottom step. It's easy to find with the motion nightlight on the kitchen countertop.

We've also hinged the top step for more storage and, for us, wouldn't get rid of the storage provided by the bottom step. Storage is at a premium in all smaller campers.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 01-07-2022, 02:40 PM   #10

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yea i think the hardest part is shimmying down to the bottom of the bed
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:12 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0 TA #9
Rails and Lights

Little Richard, I like the vertical hand rails, and Perry's use of a downward facing night light.
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2022, 05:43 PM   #12

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA 'Liberty'
We have a motion light below the closet door so any foot movement turns it on and all 3 stairs are lit, but does not shine on the person still in bed.
I was jealous of the milk crate storage ideas but knew that they would not fit under the second step as the step was too narrow. I found these:

https://www.amazon.com/CleverMade-Co.../dp/B07HKRJ74R

And they work great. I can get them through the step opening and then open them up. We have six under the second step .One for TP, one for PT and 2 for drinking water. The other 2 are usually shoes or other items that may be seasonal.

HarleyD
HarleyD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2022, 07:51 AM   #13

There is a piano hinge on the step and another section of the step that was cut off. Basically there is a piece screwed to the wall that is in hinge to the step. Consequently it stays put. Longer-term I am not sure the piano hinge is the best choice. But it works for now and will see how it goes.
Old 01-11-2022, 07:53 AM   #14

No. The lack of reinforcing is an issue. I did reinforce the area where I attach the base of the bottom step. I did this from under the steps. I had to be very careful with screws to make sure I did not tap into the sewer pipe/vent.
Old 01-11-2022, 08:01 AM   #15

I did a calculation of the cubic inches lost. Because bottom step was small and I opened up the top step there is an increase in total cubic inches, I don’t remember how much. But there is a huge increase in usable storage because I hung laundry bags from the top step, and opened up the middle from the front. . It really is nice to be able to find things without putting your head to the top of the second step.

The laundry bags are particularly nice for us because were using the second step as a laundry bin. Now all the dirty laundry is neatly stored and easy to retrieve - no missing socks. It utilizes the top of the top step area and the area just under it which was underutilized.

The opening up of the storage area under the steps in the front really relieves tension when it comes to finding things. It is so much easier to find it and get it out. That in and of itself would be worth a loss of storage.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:45 AM   #16

Age-appropriate is the best I could do. We wanted to keep our trailer and enjoy it. If we couldn’t improve the safety on the stairs, the trailer was gone. I’m a firm believer that one must be realistic and try to address the issues. The 60s are the gogo years; the 70s or the go slow years; and the 80s are the no go years. My approach is to use engineering and technology as best I can the shift that forward. Good luck.
Old 01-12-2022, 09:47 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeB View Post
Escape Artist, Age Appropriate HA! ha! My wife used that wording when I bought a new skateboard on my 50th birthday.
Skateboards in rollerblades or invented by orthopedic surgeons. They generate business
Old 01-12-2022, 09:50 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Nice mod!

I can place my feet exactly where I want without fear of falling off the steps. The bottom step is easy to find and properly place my foot this way. Otherwise it's a crap shoot.

Crawling out on your stomach instead of scootching on your butt, will give you much greater control, particularly on that bottom step. My wife saw me doing it and does it now too. I like the mod, but turning over takes away most or all the risk for me.

I tried it once twice and it worked; I am 6’-4” My wife didn’t think the recommendation was funny. No sense of humor I guess, we took a vote and she won unanimously
Old 01-12-2022, 09:54 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleTim View Post
Nice mod!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
At night we place a motion activated puck light on the kitchen countertop that comes on when we get to the edge of the bed. We also have the LP gas detector at the bottom of the step that acts as a nightlight, so we never miss stepping on the bottom step.

A outside motion light comes on when we open the toilet door, but it's placed upside down so it doesn't blind us at night.

We also have a handrail angled on the passenger side so when grabbing the rail it keeps us away from the angled bottom step, so we're fine with the bottom step. We also grab the stripper pole once we're on the bottom step. It's easy to find with the motion nightlight on the kitchen countertop.

We've also hinged the top step for more storage and, for us, wouldn't get rid of the storage provided by the bottom step. Storage is at a premium in all smaller campers.

Enjoy,

Perry
It sounds like an effective solution to replacing the step. I find the lights very helpful as you seem to. We out aged the little green LEDs. Are use battery operated motion detector lights. I find that red lens tape helps a lot with a light, as it doesn’t seem to wake you up. Lights and grab bars are really good thing. Be well.
Old 01-12-2022, 12:11 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Richie View Post
Skateboards in rollerblades or invented by orthopedic surgeons. They generate business
I wear gloves and helmet when skateboarding. I only skate on bike paths and what I call level ground. No more half pipes and jumps for me. ha HA! I think it helps maintain balance as I age. I really love your updates. I think all 5.0 should come with a handrails. Keep posting the great updates! And I don't mean anything negative towards your posting the words, "age appropriate". I wish only for smooth roads in your future...

Tags
ta 5.0 steps