Allure Flooring Installation Questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 05-10-2015, 01:47 PM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Allure Flooring Installation Questions

I will be installing some Allure vinyl plank flooring in our 19, and have a couple questions for those who've worked with it.

I understand this is a floating floor, with a grip strip on each plank that adheres it to the next one. So, at the flooring edge, would I remove the trim and install the flooring all the way to the cabinet edge, then reinstall the trim to hold the edge down?

Also, the rail at the bottom of the screen door must be moved so the new floor can go underneath it. The vinyl planks are too thick to do it otherwise. So regarding the removal of the rail, I see a couple screws at the door jamb end and the middle, but am unsure about how it works at the screen side opposite the jamb. Any tips on how to get the rail out of the way?

Thanks for any info.

Robert
Old 05-10-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I will be installing some Allure vinyl plank flooring in our 19, and have a couple questions for those who've worked with it.

I understand this is a floating floor, with a grip strip on each plank that adheres it to the next one. So, at the flooring edge, would I remove the trim and install the flooring all the way to the cabinet edge, then reinstall the trim to hold the edge down?

Also, the rail at the bottom of the screen door must be moved so the new floor can go underneath it. The vinyl planks are too thick to do it otherwise. So regarding the removal of the rail, I see a couple screws at the door jamb end and the middle, but am unsure about how it works at the screen side opposite the jamb. Any tips on how to get the rail out of the way?

Thanks for any info.

Robert
Thinking of the same flooring Robert and I have the same questions needing a answer too .
Hope someone has done this and can help out . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:20 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I

Also, the rail at the bottom of the screen door must be moved so the new floor can go underneath it. The vinyl planks are too thick to do it otherwise.Any tips on how to get the rail out of the way?

Thanks for any info.

Robert
For question 1, yes, remove the trim, install plank and re-install trim.

For question 2, that might open up a world of hurt. Wouldn't you have to shorten the screen etc. ? I think that I'd try installing the floor on either side, more work I know, but it doesn't open up another can of worms.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:28 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
For question 1, yes, remove the trim, install plank and re-install trim.

For question 2, that might open up a world of hurt. Wouldn't you have to shorten the screen etc. ? I think that I'd try installing the floor on either side, more work I know, but it doesn't open up another can of worms.

Ron
Thanks Ron. That's what I was thinking too, but it just wouldn't leave enough of an edge for the rail to function installing it that way. The Allure planks are about 3.8mm thick, or .149 inches. The screen rail is very thin, and the planks would be almost flush with it -- leaving no edge for the bottom rail to engage. Since the screen material just slides into the articulating black plastic at the bottom, I don't think shortening the screen would be necessary. I suppose I could install the planks just short of the screen rail on either side, leaving enough of an edge for the rail to work as normal, but that wouldn't be a very tidy installation from an appearance standpoint.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:

I got a manual for the screen with my trailer. If you don't have one it can be downloaded: http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/pr...aplus_left.pdf

It looks like you may need to disassemble, trim slightly, and reinstall the screen.
jamman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 03:02 PM   #6
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
I got a manual for the screen with my trailer. If you don't have one it can be downloaded: http://www.seikiscreensystems.com/pr...aplus_left.pdf

It looks like you may need to disassemble, trim slightly, and reinstall the screen.
Thanks Doug! Just what I needed. According to the manual, the rail just slides into the screen bottom. No screw there. I should be able to just remove the two screws, and pull it up starting on the door jamb side. It apparently has an adhesive backing so might be difficult to pull up, but we'll see. Considering the thinness of the Allure flooring material, I might be able to slide the rail back into position without any other mods.
Attached Thumbnails
bottom rail.PNG  
Old 05-10-2015, 04:36 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Removing and replacing both the trim and the screen door are both beneficial and easy to do. I did that for my cork install.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 10:56 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Allure

Will they allow Allure flooring to be installed as a custom flooring on a new build? We are a ways from build sheet sign off and haven't asked that question yet.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 11:12 PM   #9

I think they will only substitute another vinyl, but you could always ask.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 05-25-2015, 11:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
There was discussion, either here or on FGRV, about Allure not being recommended for use in areas with large swings in temperature and humidity. I suggest you go to Allure web site and explore the limitations.
I have it in my kitchen, but if I was paying somebody else to do it, I'd go with a single sheet of vinyl.
Old 05-25-2015, 11:36 PM   #11

Further. If you're thinking of installing it yourself, I used the tile pattern in the kitchen. Each piece is a foot wide and three feet long, with the sticky tab on one long and one short side.
You have to plan so that you don't end up with some unsupported short bit. In my kitchen, with several angles and obstructions ( like a built-in counter ), I did my best, but got to the end of the job and found that I had a two inch strip going into a doorway and that one piece didn't cover the entire doorway. I ended up with a 2" X 3" piece that had no sticky tab.
I planned, but I didn't foresee that.
Old 05-26-2015, 02:55 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I installed Allure in my Escape 19 I cut a custom piece of paneling and glued it down, worked fine. I also alternated the grain so that it ran in 3 directions, made a nice look, I can not figure how to open another window to post a link, I will have to find it later, I not using my regular computer on the road.
Old 05-26-2015, 07:36 AM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
The thing to remember about wood floors in a camper is you're always tracking in dirt and gravel and grit. I found this really takes the bloom off the rose. I stay stick with vinyl.
Old 05-26-2015, 08:59 AM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
There was discussion, either here or on FGRV, about Allure not being recommended for use in areas with large swings in temperature and humidity. I suggest you go to Allure web site and explore the limitations.
I have it in my kitchen, but if I was paying somebody else to do it, I'd go with a single sheet of vinyl.
That's right Glenn, Allure says you're not supposed to install it in an RV, although many have. I confirmed with Jim that it works fine.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:01 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
The thing to remember about wood floors in a camper is you're always tracking in dirt and gravel and grit. I found this really takes the bloom off the rose. I stay stick with vinyl.
The Allure flooring is vinyl. It's just in flexible plank form, with an overlap on the seams.
Old 05-26-2015, 09:44 AM   #16

Quote:
That's right Glenn, Allure says you're not supposed to install it in an RV, although many have. I confirmed with Jim that it works fine.
There are literally 100's, and 100's, of trailer installations with happy folks.

I have never seen a specific instruction not to use it in an RV. but they do say not to use it outside, that it is strictly an indoor product. They also warn not to use it in extreme heat conditions. For the most part, I think they are covering butt.

It's advantage is that it is really easy to install by a DIY person, with little skill or tools.

However.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
..... if I was paying somebody else to do it, I'd go with a single sheet of vinyl.
..... I too would do this. There are some very nice, and very tough, vinyl flooring materials these days, and if not doing it as a remodel, I would go this route. Pick a nice one you like, and have Escape install it.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:10 AM   #17
Site Team

Allure Flooring Installation Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have never seen a specific instruction not to use it in an RV.

Step 1 of the installation instructions (link below) state that you cannot install Allure in a camping trailer. That's why I asked about it in an earlier thread.

http://www.mydiygenius.com/articles/...tart-Sheet.pdf

I agree that it's probably just a CYA, but the specific instruction is there. And, our trailers are "temperature controlled" except of course when they're not in use.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:36 AM   #18

Ah, the instructions I saw said everything but the boat and RV. Still, it does say "exterior application including", but the trailer, though outside, is really not an exterior use. Protecting from sun, and heat, seems to be the most important issue. I guess if your trailer is exposed to very high temps inside when not in use, it could be a consideration.

This is what I read on the instructions from the stuff in my garage, bought at Home Depot. I just double checked, and it did not specifically mention RVs.

Quote:
Outside use: Sorry you cannot use
allure outside. It is strictly an interior
product. This includes seasonal porches and
other non-heated or unprotected rooms.
Old 05-26-2015, 01:12 PM   #19

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
I have a ? I was reading about the vinyl flooring off gassing and making some people sick ? Has anyone else heard of such a thing ? Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2015, 01:20 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
I have a ? I was reading about the vinyl flooring off gassing and making some people sick ? Has anyone else heard of such a thing ? Pat
Don't think that's an issue for all but a tiny fraction of the population. In any event, it is gluten-free.