Aluminum Rims .. build option... pros and cons? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-14-2017, 04:26 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
The HiSpec aluminum wheels still look great on our 19. If they ever get too grungy I'll probably pick up another set of HiSpecs, model 856545S. Nice looking, and about $86 per wheel.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:55 PM   #22

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The HiSpec aluminum wheels still look great on our 19. If they ever get too grungy I'll probably pick up another set of HiSpecs, model 856545S. Nice looking, and about $86 per wheel.
I like those Robert!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 04:57 PM   #23

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moaboy View Post
Speaking of rims, does anybody know the bolt configuration ? I have the aluminum rims and really think it dresses up the trailer, and would like to put a locking nut on each wheel and the spare. I understand there r different thread patterns etc.
See this earlier discussion: Wheel Nut Size & Thread

From that discussion:
Quote:
1/2"-20 is the nearly universal thread for wheel studs in this capacity range of trailer axles. That's 1/2" diameter, 20 threads per inch.

The correct wrench size for nuts with this thread would typically be 13/16", but a 21 mm socket usually fits adequately.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 05:42 PM   #24

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Quote:
Speaking of rims, does anybody know the bolt configuration ? I have the aluminum rims and really think it dresses up the trailer, and would like to put a locking nut on each wheel and the spare. I understand there r different thread patterns etc. Thanks.
I don't know if you have to worry about someone stealing your rims. I would be more concerned about someone stealing my trailer if I lived in that bad of a neighborhood. If you do put locking lug nuts on don't forget to counterbalance it with an additional wheel weight (probably 1/4 to 1/2 ounce) opposite the locking nut.
AKCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:06 PM   #25

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Someone can correct if I'm wrong, but believe they are 205x75x15 ST's on 15 x 5" rims with 5 x 4.5" bolt pattern.
Tire size and bolt pattern are correct, but believe Escape is running a 15x6 wheel now.
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 09:39 PM   #26

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
I love how the aluminum rims look on our trailer.
Attached Thumbnails
fullsizeoutput_3a03.jpg  
- Bremerton, WA
arniesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 10:10 PM   #27

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
Tire size and bolt pattern are correct, but believe Escape is running a 15x6 wheel now.
Good to know, thanks!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2017, 01:01 AM   #28

Trailer: 17b - 2017 model
Quote:

We bought those and brought them to our orientation! They're really nice. ETI will give you a credit for bringing your own wheels that almost covers the cost compared to their aluminum ones.

I got them mostly because I wanted to pass a chain through the larger holes. These are 15lb. The ETI aluminum ones are 18lb, and the ETI steel is 22lb. Supposedly reducing unsprung mass is a benefit in terms of handling as the tires can respond quicker to changes in the road surface, but I didn't really dig deeper to figure out how much benefit this really provides since I already knew that I wanted them for the chain. My suspicion is that any benefit is minimal.
paulk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 01:09 AM   #29
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honair View Post
Why would one get or not get the build option....Aluminum Rims?

What say you forum members........
I was considering them to save weight like my sports cars... but ETI sales told me they aren't any lighter.. so I opted for the white to match the trailer
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 08:53 AM   #30

We have a 21 on order, and I didn't opt for the Aluminum wheels. Steel wheels are very strong, and will actually flex before snapping. Off-roaders prefer steel for this reason. We also don't do much around salted anything, water or roads...
I also figured I can always put them on later, like we did on our Casita. They do add some nice bling. ( Then there's that dang exchange rate !?!)
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:50 AM   #31
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
We have a 21 on order, and I didn't opt for the Aluminum wheels. Steel wheels are very strong, and will actually flex before snapping. Off-roaders prefer steel for this reason. We also don't do much around salted anything, water or roads...
I also figured I can always put them on later, like we did on our Casita. They do add some nice bling. ( Then there's that dang exchange rate !?!)
I can't see the strength difference between aluminum and steel wheels ever being a factor on a travel trailer. As for the exchange rate, that's still way in your favor. A little quick math shows the aluminum wheels at $95 CAD equals $75 USD, less than you'll be able to find them anywhere in the US right now. And, that $75 is mounted and balanced too. If you think you like the look, why not just do it during the build?
Old 10-20-2017, 12:26 PM   #32

Quote:
I can't see the strength difference between aluminum and steel wheels ever being a factor on a travel trailer. As for the exchange rate, that's still way in your favor. A little quick math shows the aluminum wheels at $95 CAD equals $75 USD, less than you'll be able to find them anywhere in the US right now. And, that $75 is mounted and balanced too. If you think you like the look, why not just do it during the build?
It's a bit too much bling. I'm more into function than sparkle nowadays. Keep in mind, I also ordered our 21 sans graphics with a white belly band, so it will look more like a FEMA trailer than an airstream. ( kidding, kidding !... )
thiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 12:29 PM   #33

Quote:
I can't see the strength difference between aluminum and steel wheels ever being a factor on a travel trailer.
Agreed. Similar rims to what ETI offers are both rated at 2,150 lbs capacity in either steel or aluminum construction on etrailer. Strength under normal use is a non-issue.
Old 10-20-2017, 02:49 PM   #34

Trailer: 2017 5.0 TA picked up in July 2017.
The white wheels don't match the white of the trailer, in fact they really clash. I bought a can of Krylon Fusion paint in Dover White from Amazon and used it to paint the large escape hatch cover on my 5.0 TA. It doesn't really match the Escape White but it doesn't clash. With the remaining paint I painted the white lug nut covers. I recently bought a can of Plastic Dip in light grey which I hope will closely match my graphics and I plan to use that on the white wheels sometime soon.
SFDavis50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 04:16 PM   #35

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiggins View Post
Steel wheels are very strong, and will actually flex before snapping. Off-roaders prefer steel for this reason.
So will aluminum alloy wheels. I've seen lots of bent alloy wheels in amateur motorsports competition (including some on our own vehicles), but I've never seen an alloy with a broken-out piece... although I've heard this happened in the past with cheap cast alloys. The only steel wheel that I've hit against a curb bent and was pounded approximately back into shape for temporary use with substantial effort, but was not salvageable.

There are lots of alloy wheels used off-road. Since some off-roaders bash wheels into rocks a lot, it makes sense that they would prefer cheaper wheels.

Typical trailer suspensions are crude (and so not really sensitive to unsprung weight), and most trailer wheels (including those used by Escape) are relatively small so their weight is not crucial. The alloy wheels used by Escape are not ultra-lightweight, so they're not fragile; either will be more than strong enough, although the alloys are more likely to stay true over time.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 11:34 PM   #36

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I love the look so it's worth the money to me I'm sure the others are functional and you can find others that are fancier but I'm very happy with the aluminum ones supplied by Escape.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 04:06 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I've learned that the 12-20 McGuard locking lug nuts are the right size and thread configuration (fine - one inch = 20) so I'm told they will fit the Dexter bolt. Now the question is will the 60 degree cone fit correctly into the aluminum wheel hole? Would anyone be able to take a picture of the regular lug nut Escape uses as I'm not with my Escape?
BTW, Escape says "1/2 inch fine lug," but no additional info about the specs for the aluminum wheel they use. Thanks.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 07:47 PM   #38

Quote:
I've learned that the 12-20 McGuard locking lug nuts are the right size and thread configuration (fine - one inch = 20) so I'm told they will fit the Dexter bolt. Now the question is will the 60 degree cone fit correctly into the aluminum wheel hole? Would anyone be able to take a picture of the regular lug nut Escape uses as I'm not with my Escape?
BTW, Escape says "1/2 inch fine lug," but no additional info about the specs for the aluminum wheel they use. Thanks.
This is a picture from the ETI website in the previous 14” size but same rim in all other aspects. It might help. You shouldn’t have any problem. The same rim can be seen on etrailer and you can see it accepts the beveled lug. Watch the video at the link for the best view. I’m not positive but I’m quite sure the 60 degree bevel (conical seat) is a standard design for most OEM wheels. I’ll bet Brian B-P knows. Maybe he’ll weigh in.

http://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-Wh...T/AM22627.html
Attached Thumbnails
977D3788-8D93-4F1B-95C3-A80D3A8FC11A.jpeg  
Old 10-27-2017, 08:18 PM   #39

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
This is one of the Q&A posts from the above e-trailer wheel link. Note that they call it an Americana, not a Hi-Spec (?):

"Lug Nuts Recommendation for Use with a Americana Aluminum Trailer Wheel part # AM22627

Question: What lug nuts can I use on wheel AM22627? Do you have locks available for that wheel? and can I get Chrome valve stems for that wheel? asked by: Jim C

Expert Reply: The recommended lug nuts for use with the Americana Aluminum Trailer Wheel part # AM22627 depends on the studs of the hubs on your trailer. Most likely they are 1/2 inch-20 studs as that is basically the industry standard. If so, you would want the Chrome Trailer Wheel Lug nut part # 12CLN. You would need to order 5 of these per wheel on your trailer. We do not carry any chrome valve stems, but we do carry an aluminum one that would look pretty good on the aluminum wheel you referenced. Check out the Valve Stems part # AM20906. For a wheel lock set you would want the part # RG01-150.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #40

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Aluminum wheels

I got them on my 17B and my 19 and really like them. They look good and are easy to clean. And I can get a case hardened chain through the holes and around the axle. Would get them again if I got another Escape but this is probably my last.