Amp rating of electrical outlets - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 02-08-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Amp rating of electrical outlets

Y'all may regret that I'm housebound because of the snow.

But, I'm thinking... has anyone changed the white electrical outlets to the almond color? I've already purchased six wood (oak) covers that I'll stain to closely match the wood work, but those bright white outlets.... hummm.

It's all about the visual!
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post

But, I'm thinking... has anyone changed the white electrical outlets to the almond color? I've already purchased six wood (oak) covers that I'll stain to closely match the wood work, but those bright white outlets.... hummm.

It may be Reace who comes and shovels you out, to get you away from that build sheet!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
Site Team

Oh Eric, I wasn't expecting ETI to make the change. I've swapped out tons of light switches and electrical outlets over the years. Just noodling a bit and looking at pictures of others builds. Electric outlets aren't the most aesthetically pleasing looking things.
Old 02-08-2014, 08:51 AM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Oh Eric, I wasn't expecting ETI to make the change. I've swapped out tons of light switches and electrical outlets over the years. Just noodling a bit and looking at pictures of others builds. Electric outlets aren't the most aesthetically pleasing looking things.
I figured -- just ribbin' yah!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:44 AM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Quote:

How about the dark brown Donna? I think those would look good surrounded by the oak.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
Site Team

Hummm, might have to consider that too.

I think it's important to know what amp rating. These things do wear out and I bet some folks will want to replace them eventually. If I don't hear anything proof positive by tomorrow afternoon, I'll fire off an email to ETI and ask... then, I'll let y'all know.

I'm betting 20 amp
Old 02-08-2014, 11:12 AM   #7

Quote:
Hummm, might have to consider that too.

I think it's important to know what amp rating. These things do wear out and I bet some folks will want to replace them eventually. If I don't hear anything proof positive by tomorrow afternoon, I'll fire off an email to ETI and ask... then, I'll let y'all know.

I'm betting 20 amp
Your problem might be the GFI outlet as I have only seen those in white and brown not ivory/almond. Also, did you find an oak cover for the GFI? Don't think I've ever seen one to go over that outlet.
Old 02-08-2014, 11:15 AM   #8

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The only 20 amp I'm aware that Escape uses is the microwave, otherwise all the rest are 15 amp outlets, but please see my signature. You can also tell from the circuit breakers, are there any 20?
Old 02-08-2014, 11:16 AM   #9
Site Team

Tim, where's the GFI outlet located? I guess I could always spray (Fusion) the outlet cover if I can't get a wood one...
Old 02-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #10

Quote:
Tim, where's the GFI outlet located? I guess I could always spray (Fusion) the outlet cover if I can't get a wood one...
Donna, I can't speak to the new 5.0 but on our 15 it is close to the sink area and is the first in the series coming from the circuit breaker. Since I asked for 2 outlets in the 15 the first is the GFI located near the shower and the next one in line is a standard outlet since it is still covered by the GFI ahead of it in series. Below is a picture and if you zoom you will notice that the GFI has a different plate cover. Not only that, but the GFI cover is smaller than the regular ones, ETI must use an oversize outlet cover on their outlets.
Attached Thumbnails
outlets.jpg  
Old 02-08-2014, 02:58 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Donna, while you're at it, change out one of the outlets for a square type with two USB charging ports embedded. I put one on the side of the short drawer cabinet at the end of the bed in our 21. They're available at Home Depot for $25.
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 03:02 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I bought a couple of those USB outlets and they are a lot larger than the standard outlet, did you have any trouble fitting yours in the standard box?
Old 02-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #3
Jim, no problem at all. Quick and easy. Now we won't have to carry all those bulky transformers. Now that I think about it, there are two different sizes. I got the smaller one at Home Depot which was a 15A outlet, Model# TR7745W-K-L
TAfraser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:13 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I do find it odd that Escape still uses the old style duplex plugs, instead of the newer Decora style, like the GFI plug is. I know in all our projects we build, it is a rarity that someone wants the old style.

Leviton makes plates and plugs in many different colours. I find that black tends to be less noticeable than white in most cases. In homes White and Almond are the most popular colours we use.

Plate colours are:
Aluminum
Black
Blue
Brass
Brown
Brushed Stainless Steel
Clear
Gray
Ivory
Light Almond
Mahogany
Orange
Polished Brass
Red
Stainless Steel
White

Plug colours are:
Black
Brown
Ebony
Gray
Grey
Ivory
Light Almond
Mahogany
White
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 04:36 PM   #15
Site Team

Thanks Tim, that's helpful. I bet the GFI is under the counter on the 21' and new 5er too.

I found a 15 amp GFI in almond, it's a three pack and I'm thinking perhaps a rocker switch plate would fit the outlet too.
Old 02-08-2014, 04:47 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I do find it odd that Escape still uses the old style duplex plugs, instead of the newer Decora style, like the GFI plug is. I know in all our projects we build, it is a rarity that someone wants the old style.
I'm not surprised at all. The old style are inexpensive and they work just fine. I'm just a tinkerer. Probably won't do anything like changing these right away. I was able to get the unfinished oak switch plates at half-price, so I jumped on them. And think they'll look better with almond outlets than bright white. It's just a little thing, but will change the look for ME.

All the switch plates in my Scamp are real diamond plate

I like the idea of having a USB outlet added too. Probably at the end of the dinette bench, refrigerator side. Easy access for the stooge table.
Old 02-08-2014, 10:23 PM   #17

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I think it's important to know what amp rating...
I'm betting 20 amp
I would be surprised if anyone used a 20-amp outlet for anything inside a trailer, but ETI must have had some reason for picking a 20-amp for the microwave. 20-amp outlets would require 12-gauge (instead of the usual 14-gauge) cable supplying them.

20-amp plugs have one blade turned at right angles to the other, so purely 20-amp outlets have one slot turned to match and are unusable with normal appliances; most 20-outlets have a T-shaped slot so they work with either 15-amp or 20-amp plugs. My point is that you can see whether or not an outlet is 20-amp by looking at the slots.
A 20-amp socket:
Attached Images

Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 10:36 PM   #18

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
The microwave circuit is 15 amp as are all other plug circuits, all plug wiring is 14 gauge. The only 20 amp circuit is the air conditioner and it's wired with 12 gauge wire. I believe this was brought up in another thread.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2014, 11:13 PM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The only 20 amp I'm aware that Escape uses is the microwave, otherwise all the rest are 15 amp outlets, but please see my signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
The microwave circuit is 15 amp as are all other plug circuits, all plug wiring is 14 gauge. The only 20 amp circuit is the air conditioner and it's wired with 12 gauge wire.
Well, Escape's microwave wiring may vary by model over over time, but at least there seems to be agreement that there's no reason for any 20-amp outlets (the air conditioner is presumably hard-wired).

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
I believe this was brought up in another thread.
Maybe this one: Microwave plug
Jim, this would be one of those signature-line times ... your microwave outlet is apparently 15 amp.

To avoid re-opening a discussion of circuit capacities, there is this one which perhaps settled any concerns: What gauge electrical wire is standard in the Escapes
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2014, 09:25 AM   #20

Trailer: gone, 19 and 21 & 17B with 5.0 now. gone
Microwave plug and colors of plug recepticles

Maybe that plug is just 15 amps and that is the reason for the sticker on the plug that says for microwave only.
In our kitchen in the house all of the plugs are the color of the wall. Nancy just paints them and touches up if required.
Jack
azjack is offline   Reply With Quote