An Easy Way to Moderate the Ceiling Light Glare? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-08-2022, 11:23 AM   #1
Site Team

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022
An Easy Way to Moderate the Ceiling Light Glare?

We find the glare from the LED ceiling lights in our E21C a bit much, especially lying down and looking up. I'd like to moderate the light a bit.

Obviously the best solution would be soft-white enclosures to replace the clear ones Escape provides. Do these exist? And if so, how would I get them?

Other suggestions welcome.

—LEJ

PS: Trying to change my 'Details' on the left from the Casita to our NTU Escape 21C, but keep getting a mysterious message:
"Your session has expired. Please login again."
Old 05-08-2022, 11:30 AM   #2

Trailer: 2020 E19 "Escape Haven"
We replaced our lights with ones that are dimmable. Perhaps that would work for you?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1
OneCentHillman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:50 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
As suggested many years ago by a member of this forum (Jon V?) I cut out pieces from a gel color filter to fit the underside of the plastic cover to alter the lighting; see below for with and without the filter. I can't find the original order from Amazon but it was similar to this roll but a much lighter orange/yellow color:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B01DEXNK...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1
Attached Thumbnails
Lighting.jpg  
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 12:10 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
As suggested many years ago by a member of this forum (Jon V?) I cut out pieces from a gel color filter to fit the underside of the plastic cover to alter the lighting; see below for with and without the filter. I can't find the original order from Amazon but it was similar to this roll but a much lighter orange/yellow color:
Karen, when say "underside," did you mean outside or inside? And how did you attach the filters?
Old 05-08-2022, 12:26 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Karen, when say "underside," did you mean outside or inside? And how did you attach the filters?

I put it inside the fixture and just kind of pressed or molded it to the plastic cover. I didn't use any adhesive as it seemed to stay in place once the cover was re-mounted.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-08-2022, 04:02 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My recommendation was to add a Frost color filter such as RoscoLux 100 to the inside of the fixture lens. The material is designed to go in front of a 1000 watt theatrical lighting instrument, so there is no worry about it catching fire.

They make a number of different frosts as well as colored clear & frost color media. If you visit a theatrical supplier, they will let you look at a "Swatch Book" (or even sell or give you one) that has small samples of each color / frost.
Old 05-08-2022, 08:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
My recommendation was to add a Frost color filter such as RoscoLux 100 to the inside of the fixture lens.
Yes, thank you...that's where I bought mine although mine was a roll of film. No wonder I couldn't find it in my Amazon orders.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
Old 05-08-2022, 09:03 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
I replaced the bulbs with a lower Kelvin model. Something around 3000K. Gives the interior a softer white tone, more similar to incandescent bulbs. Leaving the brighter models over the sink area might be another choice. The bulbs came from superbrightleds.com, they also can be found in bulk at Amazon.

Unfortunately, Escape changed fixtures in recent years, I believe the bulbs are not replaceable in the newer model. It now requires changing the entire fixture. I have not heard of replacement fixtures with softer lights.

The plastic film that Karen and Jon mentioned may be the best alternative in that case.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2022, 11:47 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
oh boy! I went through this a couple years ago.

mine has this style lights, with the matching single lamp under many of the cabinets (around the dinette, above the sink and counter)... this aren't the original LED arrays in them, however.

I got a bag of like 30 of these warm-white LEDs with the same wedge base from Amazon. They are smaller than the original, and don't have a screw, but I've been over a bunch of washboard and dirt roads and they haven't gotten loose yet.

note the tool. note the upside down one is missing all but 2 of the 8 load resistors, just R3 and R5 remains. Each load resistor powers 3 of the 24 LED chips, so leaving 2 R's lights 6 of the 24, or 1/4th, which is 2 f/stops of brightness.

the one up top here has all 24 lit, the one below it has 12 or 50% lit.

Each dual fixture I put a reduced LED in the 'single' position, and the full bright one in the other position.

I also replaced the 4 captains lamps with warm white MR11 bulbs instead of the original too-bright cold white MR16. The smaller MR11 bulbs fit in the fixtures just fine.
these are various bulbs I tried in the captains lights..

the top left one is the original, both of the other MR16's were too bright. the left middle row MR11 is a bit whiter and brigther, so is over my wife's reading position, while the right middle MR11 is the warmer less bright one, both of these have a very soft wide pattern without reflections or highlight spots. Both are also properly regulated internally, so they don't flicker when the power converter does its thing.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:18 AM   #10

Trailer: Escape 17B, April 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post

The plastic film that Karen and Jon mentioned may be the best alternative in that case.
Parchment paper that you may have in your kitchen can help dim the lights as well. Multiple layers needed in the lense to get much effect.
KLRchickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 09:19 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Nice information to know. Thanks
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 10:11 AM   #12

Trailer: Escape 2017 19
Led lights

I removed the covers, added duct tape, then replaced the covers.
Worked perfect.

Dave
dkirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2022, 11:21 AM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkirk View Post
I removed the covers, added duct tape, then replaced the covers.
Worked perfect.

Dave
Duct tape? Really?
Old 05-09-2022, 02:22 PM   #14

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRchickie View Post
Parchment paper that you may have in your kitchen can help dim the lights as well. Multiple layers needed in the lense to get much effect.
I used one or two layers of parchment paper with good effect. And cheap!!
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 10:39 AM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by fudge_brownie View Post
I replaced the bulbs with a lower Kelvin model. Something around 3000K. Gives the interior a softer white tone, more similar to incandescent bulbs. Leaving the brighter models over the sink area might be another choice. The bulbs came from superbrightleds.com, they also can be found in bulk at Amazon.

Unfortunately, Escape changed fixtures in recent years, I believe the bulbs are not replaceable in the newer model. It now requires changing the entire fixture. I have not heard of replacement fixtures with softer lights.

Late getting back to this. Looks like our bulbs are replaceable. Getting warmer ones would be a great idea, and then if still too bright, adding some filter film.

John, where did you get the bulbs for the reading ('Captain's') lamps?

Thanks for the suggestions!
Old 05-17-2022, 11:07 AM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLynn View Post
Late getting back to this. Looks like our bulbs are replaceable. Getting warmer ones would be a great idea, and then if still too bright, adding some filter film.

John, where did you get the bulbs for the reading ('Captain's') lamps?

Thanks for the suggestions!
www.superbrightleds.com

as I said, the original 'captains reading' lamps were MR16 size, but the smaller MR11 fit in them just fine.

I think I ended up with this one in 3 corners,
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...tributes/10932

and this brighter one for my wife,
https://www.superbrightleds.com/more...0-lumens/2842/

(both in 'warm white', the 2nd one is not as warm)

bonus these are both DC 'regulated' lamps, so they don't flicker at all when the voltages shift around during charging cycles or as loads change. the overhead lamps are unregulated and do flicker a fair bit. I'm kind of hypersensitive to flicker, others don't notice it.
Old 05-17-2022, 03:41 PM   #17
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Hey John, When we got our Escape in 2019 we found your posts and links to the warmer LED bulbs so that was one of the first things we changed out. Switching the overhead and captain lights to the warmer (~2700K) lights made huge difference. Thanks John! -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2022, 03:46 PM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bea View Post
Hey John, When we got our Escape in 2019 we found your posts and links to the warmer LED bulbs so that was one of the first things we changed out. Switching the overhead and captain lights to the warmer (~2700K) lights made huge difference. Thanks John! -Bea

glad I could help
Old 05-18-2022, 01:43 PM   #19

Trailer: 17 foot
We had the same problem and used a window privacy adhesive (https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/cat...-solid/2z0-f17). It has worked well. We applied ours on the outside making sure to cover the visible LED light section.
KimB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2022, 02:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2012 E19
I was about to suggest D-C Fix, but KimB beat me to it with her link. The stuff adheres but is easily removable and will adhere again. I use it (the texture they call "sand") on a couple of my flashlights to improve the beam. This film generally doesn't change the color temp of the light, it just diffuses it.