Another cooktop question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 11-26-2020, 02:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 2021 E19 (Padawan)
Another cooktop question

I started one of the Dickinson cooktop threads recently trying to find out what Escape might do. Mellisa, my sales person said they would only do stock options. So I tried a Suburban or Dometic 3 burner slide in flush mount cooktop since they are exactly the same as as the Suburban flush top stove option - minus the oven. The response I got was the production crew does not have jig for that and won’t do it. It appears Escape is moving away from any custom cooktop or stove options. I’m now trying to decide if I want the stock cooktop and then rip it out for another choice. My concern is if the propane line would reach a different choice. I want spray foam which would make a new propane line difficult. I could do the oven, but we don’t use the oven, and are already losing storage space to the 6cu ft fridge.

Any suggestions from past experience on how to proceed with the Escape 19 and cooktop options? My first choice would be the Suburban or Dometic flush mount slide in cooktop - not a drop in. The Dickinson would be a fall back, but not really what we like best.
brroberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:33 PM   #2

Trailer: 2021 Escape 5.0 / 2022 F150 SuperCab
Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
.... My concern is if the propane line would reach a different choice. ....
Just FYI the copper feed installed by ETI is 3/8" nominal.

If needed one could cut the copper at some point within the cabinet where it is accessible, install a 3/8" flare copper union to join a new / longer piece of 3/8" copper, and terminate that with the 3/8" flare common to most RV cooktops (or other if necessary).

Sure, I'd avoid it if I could, but IMO a properly cut, flared, installed, and tested union will be perfectly tight and safe for the very long run.
Old 11-26-2020, 03:40 PM   #3

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Exactly...you could even put in a shut off valve instead of a union so it looked intentional.

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 03:50 PM   #4

Shut off valve is a great idea. Thanks, I’d prefer one anyway. So there is evidently cabinet access to the propane line. That helps.
Old 11-26-2020, 05:13 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Be cautious, as Reace told me that inside any connection that is not direct to an appliance is not allowed. Maybe this is just for manufacturers, but.....

This is why all feed taps are done out of the interior.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Well, if it’s a problem, maybe the propane alarm will actually go off sensing propane and not battery gas or dog expulsions.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 05:28 PM   #7

It is not too tough to run a while new line. If you have foam, you could just do a splice in the line.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-26-2020, 05:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Well, if it’s a problem, maybe the propane alarm will actually go off sensing propane and not battery gas or dog expulsions.
[emoji23]True, dat!
Old 11-26-2020, 05:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Jim is probably right.

However in reviewing my pictures where I redid the counter top in our 2018 - 19...you can see there is a generous amount of tubing that hooks up to the basic two burner flush top stove they offer.
Attached Thumbnails
FE8BC291-C77B-45EA-9A55-CC5BCE6B8F21.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 06:08 PM   #10

Jim is probably right. Homes use black pipe and don’t bounce down the road. I’d like a shutoff, but I don’t know how Escape routes the gas lines to the water heater, fridge, furnace, and cooktop. Hope I do find a generous amount of copper under there. It would be great if they used a manifold and shut offs, but they probably just run a line down the driver’s side and T off it at each appliance. Also not sure if they cross or come down the passenger side to reach the cooktop. Thanks for the help on options.
Old 11-26-2020, 06:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by brroberts View Post
I’d like a shutoff, but I don’t know how Escape routes the gas lines to the water heater, fridge, furnace, and cooktop. Hope I do find a generous amount of copper under there. It would be great if they used a manifold and shut offs, but they probably just run a line down the driver’s side and T off it at each appliance. Also not sure if they cross or come down the passenger side to reach the cooktop. Thanks for the help on options.
All appliances tap off the main line with flared tees. You will find no extra copper line underneath. The main line does run down the driver's side, with all appliances feeding off that line.

Without the underside foam, it would be easy, and not too costly, to replace the entire feed from the tee.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:09 PM   #12

The complication is that I will get the spray foam. I don’t expect another line, but a previous thread poster mentioned plenty of gas line at the cooktop to move it some. So I hope that’s the case.
Old 11-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5TA
I just removed the foam that covered the gas line under my 5.0. It crossed between the axles and only had a few inches of foam. A sharp putty knife made quick work uncovering the line. You could see the line in places so locating it way easy. I have removed quite a bit of foam in a couple of places while working on my galley. The difficult part is laying in the gravel driveway.
strawbarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 2019 5.0 TA
Another option would be to ask Escape not to install the cooktop so that you could cut out the hole to match whichever cooktop you go with and also ask them to install an extra long propane line under the cooktop that is capped off. Then you simply cut the propane line to the length needed for your new cooktop, flare it and attach to the appliance no other joints necessary.

I've done a lot of propane lines in our cottage and its pretty easy stuff to work with once you buy the flare tool.
marsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 07:58 PM   #15

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by marsman View Post
Another option would be to ask Escape not to install the cooktop so that you could cut out the hole to match whichever cooktop you go with and also ask them to install an extra long propane line under the cooktop that is capped off. Then you simply cut the propane line to the length needed for your new cooktop, flare it and attach to the appliance no other joints necessary.
I thought I read somewhere (maybe Jim Bennett’s custom cabinetry thread?) that Escape (or any manufacturer for that matter) cannot provide a trailer to a customer with an unconnected propane line and no appliance. Something about code or regulation. Completely omitting the line and the appliance (like say a furnace) is another story.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:01 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
I thought I read somewhere (maybe Jim Bennett’s custom cabinetry thread?) that Escape (or any manufacturer for that matter) cannot provide a trailer to a customer with an unconnected propane line and no appliance. Something about code or regulation. Completely omitting the line and the appliance (like say a furnace) is another story.
Absolutely true. When I went to pick up my trailer, having no built galley in it, it also had no gas line. Some smiling and asking, combined with Reace's knowing it would be brought to legal shape soon, got a gas line installed. No way I would get that now.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2019 5ta
Dickinson

I finsh my build sheat yesterday on 5.0 .Jodie at ET told me that they ..will install the Dickinson stove top,but not the Caribbean oven model has to be supplied by customer
Warmhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:30 PM   #18

I guess I just have to hope there is enough gas line there, and if not, deal with cutting and repairing the foam. I too have a gravel drive. I’m sure there is no way they would run an unconnected gas line, and don’t blame them.
Old 11-26-2020, 09:39 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Like others have said there's likely adequate gas line there. Certainly looks like it to me in my 21.

Canadian gas codes allow for a shut off valve. So worst case, install the gas valve which would also serve as a connector and run a short line from it to the stove.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2020, 09:45 PM   #20

Well I’m glad there is likely plenty of line.