Antop AT 415B tv antenna - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Modifications and Alterations
Click Here to Login

Old 01-08-2020, 12:56 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Antop AT 415B tv antenna

I thought that I'd be installing a King omnidirectional antenna on a pole. But my experience with King products in the past made me take a look around at other products.

I noticed that some omnidirectional antennas come with a level and that they're advertised as being 360* antennas. The Antop is advertised as a 720* antenna meaning that it doesn't have to be dead level which is sometimes not the case with the trailer.

So I decided to give it a try. It was raining buckets last night so I held it out a window, not expecting much from that location because of a close by escarpment blocking line of sight to the TV towers. But I did get one channel to come in before my arm got tired. So I was prepared to disconnect and I laid the antenna on the table and it sat there tilted over about 30* and then I got 2 stations. Maybe there is something to the 720*. Basically I just wanted to check that it and the power injector were working so I'm encouraged by the results in a very difficult location for OTA.

So lot's of installation still to do. I won't have a really good evaluation of its' performance until we get to Rolling Hills. I've used the King there many times so a I'll have a good basis for comparing the two.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0013_resize.JPG   IMGP0015_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 01:32 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I thought that I'd be installing a King omnidirectional antenna on a pole. But my experience with King products in the past made me take a look around at other products.

I noticed that some omnidirectional antennas come with a level and that they're advertised as being 360* antennas. The Antop is advertised as a 720* antenna meaning that it doesn't have to be dead level which is sometimes not the case with the trailer.

So I decided to give it a try. It was raining buckets last night so I held it out a window, not expecting much from that location because of a close by escarpment blocking line of sight to the TV towers. But I did get one channel to come in before my arm got tired. So I was prepared to disconnect and I laid the antenna on the table and it sat there tilted over about 30* and then I got 2 stations. Maybe there is something to the 720*. Basically I just wanted to check that it and the power injector were working so I'm encouraged by the results in a very difficult location for OTA.

So lot's of installation still to do. I won't have a really good evaluation of its' performance until we get to Rolling Hills. I've used the King there many times so a I'll have a good basis for comparing the two.

Ron
Ron last summer traveling , were in Salt Lake City for the night and our round Wineguard saucer received 69 stations over the air . This campground had no cable . They told us we were near the stations . The most we ever received with this antenna . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2020, 02:18 PM   #3

I'm glad that it's working for you. TV antenna reviews seem to be hugely variable compared to some other types of products. Never seen such a range of opinions from "piece of junk" to "best ever". Sometimes you wonder if they're talking about the same product. Of course there's a huge variable regarding location and installation.

So, as I said, I'll reserve judgement until I'm at Rolling Hills. I've use both my 4 bay and my King there so I have a good basis for comparison.

The only thing that I know almost for sure is that it's unlikely that I'll pick up anything at Dome Rock. Neither of my other two could.

Ron
Old 01-08-2020, 02:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I'm glad that it's working for you. TV antenna reviews seem to be hugely variable compared to some other types of products. Never seen such a range of opinions from "piece of junk" to "best ever". Sometimes you wonder if they're talking about the same product. Of course there's a huge variable regarding location and installation.

So, as I said, I'll reserve judgement until I'm at Rolling Hills. I've use both my 4 bay and my King there so I have a good basis for comparison.

The only thing that I know almost for sure is that it's unlikely that I'll pick up anything at Dome Rock. Neither of my other two could.

Ron
At home we are lucky to get 2 channels because it isn’t very high on the trailer roof . But before last summer almost going to pull it off roof . Usually if in a campground use their cable anyway . Can’t tell you about Quartzsite . That is our problem at home hills . We have on our roof at home Wineguard direct not Omni antenna ‘s and get lots of channels To watch . Have Roku and a granddaughter just gave us Disney plus for free off of hers . So we are good . The older Wineguard directional for rv’s was the one to get and worked a lot better on RV ‘s even at home then this new technology.Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 07:01 PM   #5

Wowser, knock me over with a feather.

Finished installing a dedicated circuit and panel for the TV and the amplified Antop antenna.

I'm no novice when it come to OTA antennas, having built my own and used a 4 bay on the trailer and an 8 bay on the roof of my house. The roof antenna was mounted 25' in the air and pointed in the direction of TV transmitters whose signals were blocked by an nearby escarpment and tall trees. I got 7 channels.

So I powered up my 30 buck TV, running on 12 volts and powered up the antenna and ran a scan. I was expecting, at best, to get maybe get 2 or 3 channels because by all accounts the location of the antenna is extremely poor, much worse than the roof location.

The numbers on the scan keep going up so I thought that maybe it was showing channels that were just ghosts and wouldn't actually show up. 17! unbelievable. 4 are pixelated so that leaves me with double what I got with a good antenna mounted high up.

I'm impressed.

For those of you who say that there's nothing good to watch on TV, a Big Mac with bacon looks good to me.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
IMGP0020_resize.JPG